PDA

View Full Version : Orion, LRP or Tekin?(For DEX410R)

Nitrius
15-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Am trying to decided on which ESC am gonna buy for my DEX410R, and am a bit torn between Orion Vortex R10, Tekin RS Pro and LRP SXX TC-Spec V2.

Anyone got any experience with these ESC's? To me it looks like the Tekin is very popular these days, also it's the smallest of them, but am not sure if that's enough for me to choose it. Am just looking for something that works good with the DEX410R, and i got a 6.5T Losi motor laying here, which is what am gonna try with one of the ESC's above in the first place.

badger5
15-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Hello Nitrius, I started a thread along these lines yesterday in the electrics section. From my (limited) knowledge the Tekins are good, small and no need for a fan, but expensive. At the moment I have no experience of running any of the ESC's you have mentioned above, but the discussion also brought up some other possibilities. It seems that Orion and Speed Passion are actually made by a company called Hobbywing, and you can buy these as well and save some money. Another option is ORCA VTC pro mk 2, this is also capable of being firmware updated over the Internet. The battery and motor wire terminals are also at opposite ends of the ESC, not sure if this will help or not in the install. It seems that with the 410R the install issue is the routing the wires around the front centre shaft.
I hope this helps a bit.

HarlowS
15-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Yep, Tekin's are my personal choice, nice, small and tidy. As t mentioned above there is also no need for a fan. If you get the hotwire too it opens up many tunning options too with the timing advance and turbo features etc.

Nitrius
15-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Hmm, Orion is made by hobbywing as well? Too me it looks like Orion might be the next "big" thing as a lot of pro buggy drivers these days seems to be using there new ESC, the Vortex R10. Though i don't really know to much about the ESC, beside that all the three i listed is three of the most expensive ESC's you can buy atm.

And i've heard good thing about all three as well as bad things, which makes it a hard choice :P

Anyway, thanks for the replies so far, still not 100% sure yet, but if everyone keeps saying Tekin, i guess that's what i'll take in the end.

In the end i want something that fits in the Durango and is reliable, should at least work with my Losi 6.5T motor, and hopefully not overheat to often/much.

Piman
15-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I have had & still have Speed Passion, Tekin & LRP ESCs in my cars. The SP & Tekin have both gone into the Durango with no issues and the LRP would as well (but it is in my 2WD).

All three work very well, have been reliable and issue free. They all have enough adjustability and performance and will all fit in the Durango (it is a tight fit but they will all fit with the right arrangement). From that that point of view any of your selection would be a good choice.

This just leaves the choice down to price, availability and personal preference.

James

Nitrius
15-07-2011, 03:02 PM
If one would want a speed passion, which version should one choose?

Edit: The choice just got a bit harder :P Maybe i should just stop listening to advices and buy something, hehe. I know that a few people i race with have had problems with the Tekin, mostly the BEC, and something about overheating, but ofc that doesn't have to happen to me. LRP not sure what the exact problems where, but there's been some trouble with those as well around here. Though Orion on the other hand i've heard very little bad about yet, but that might be because very few around here have it, and it isn't easy to get, so it looks like it's out from my choices anyway.

But then two new came in, the good thing is that they are a lot cheaper at least, Hobbywing and Speed Passion, the drivers i've driven with around here, have had little to no problem with those, so maybe i should go for one of them, though amain seems to be sold out on the Speed Passion's, and the Hobbywing am not quite sure where to get from.

Culetto
15-07-2011, 04:48 PM
If all other things are equal you should look at one thats low profile and has nice solder tabs so you can stick it UNDER the front shaft and run your wires right by the motor. I saw this on one rango and as soon as my speedpassion order gets here ill be doing it on my rango also. The SP, Tekin and new Viper ESC's all have this.

Nitrius
15-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Hmm okay, well yea, i just spotted the Viper VXT10R and it looks really interesting i must say.

discothesnake
15-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi, i have never had a speedpassion but have used the other two. To be honest, i think it is down to personal preference. I have three Tekin rs pro's (including one in my DEX410) and i have never had one bit of bother with them. For me, they are still the best speedo on the market. They are very small too so you can make a neat job of installing them.

dave

RC John
15-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Edit: ... I know that a few people i race with have had problems with the Tekin, mostly the BEC, and something about overheating, ...

I have a tekin RS Pro and can confirm that it can overheat.
In a 7 min race, it's fine. But in practice, I've had it overheat after 12 mins. After opening up all the cooling vent holes in the body, and adding a few extra ones, I haven't had a thermal shut down. But it does get pretty close. The Tekin displays it's temp but flashing the on board LED's.

Nitrius
15-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Hmm i see. Anyway thanks for all the replies, i've decided and already ordered, and my choice was the Viper VTX10R, looking forward to trying out something fairly new =)

Chris-S
16-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Have a look at the ORCA Vritra Pro, been very impressed with mine. Not short of power or brakes!

discothesnake
16-07-2011, 01:41 PM
I have a tekin RS Pro and can confirm that it can overheat.
In a 7 min race, it's fine. But in practice, I've had it overheat after 12 mins. After opening up all the cooling vent holes in the body, and adding a few extra ones, I haven't had a thermal shut down. But it does get pretty close. The Tekin displays it's temp but flashing the on board LED's.

To be fair, any speedo will shut down after 12 minutes. In a 5-6 minute heat (which is the important one) my Tekins have never missed a beat.

dpackster1980
16-07-2011, 05:59 PM
To be fair, any speedo will shut down after 12 minutes. In a 5-6 minute heat (which is the important one) my Tekins have never missed a beat.

I could barely manage a 5min qualifier on grass with my Tekin RS Pro, it may have cost me my F3 this season. :cry:

Yes it did 5mins but I couldn't push it and in the final I was a sitting duck so I sold mine and got an LRP SXX v1 from JE Spares. People may think of this as a step down but I'm not bothered so long as I can finish a race. :thumbsup:

This was on grass and another Tekin user was struggling too. On astro no probs, but the extra drag was a little too much. It's a shame because I liked the Tekin as the brakes are miles better than on the LRP.

dpackster1980
16-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I could barely manage a 5min qualifier on grass with my Tekin RS Pro, it may have cost me my F3 this season. :cry:

Yes it did 5mins but I couldn't push it and in the final I was a sitting duck so I sold mine and got an LRP SXX v1 from JE Spares. People may think of this as a step down but I'm not bothered so long as I can finish a race. :thumbsup:

This was on grass and another Tekin user was struggling too. On astro no probs, but the extra drag was a little too much. It's a shame because I liked the Tekin as the brakes are miles better than on the LRP.

I meant F2!!!!

Marc0
20-07-2011, 09:13 AM
I have a RS Pro in my TLR 22 with 5.5 turns motor, and I works great.

I just put a RS Pro in my Dex 410, and it allows to make a neat installation :

http://marcrp.free.fr/public/RC/Dex410_02.JPG