PDA

View Full Version : Tires help and advice appreciated

ASKay
18-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Hiya all, now I have the car SX3, built, radio, batteries, speedo etc... I was wondering what advice people would suggest for tires... Note... I have never raced on Astroturf before...

I have some mini spikes yellows....
I also have some mini pins yellows....

So what should I have in my box for wet astro turf...
What about silvers (I believe these are softer than yellows, am i correct)...

what do inserts offer... it is not something I used to use, all those years ago????

Any help would be good... do not want to turn up without some gear to get me out of trouble for lack of balance of grip on the car....

help and advice would be much appreciated...:confused:

Alex

lordnikon
18-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi Alex, i turned up the other sunday for a nose around to see what everyone was using.

Most seemed to be the Shumacher Yellow mini spike rears with the tubby inserts, then the staggered cut front tyres on narrow wheels. I've gone for a set of these from RCLazy to take on sunday so fingers crossed it stays dryish :thumbsup::woot:

lordnikon
18-07-2011, 08:21 PM
PArt numbers off my invoice

Staggered Rib Yellow
Item Number U6592 : U6592
Mini Spike Rear Yellow
Item Number U6558 : U6558
Schumacher Mini Spike 2; Rear Tyres - Blue - 2.2 (pr)
Item Number U6518 : Schumacher Mini Spike 2; Rear Tyres - Blue - 2.2 (pr)
Tubby Med Rear
Item Number U6747 : U6747

ASKay
18-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Fantastic, thank you....

:thumbsup:

RC Lazy here I come...

ASKay
18-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Eh :eh?:... no inserts in the front????

makinwaves
18-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Askay,

No inserts for the stagger ribs. It lets them move about more and give better grip.

Some crazy people also cut extra slots into them for more grip. They're brilliant on 2wd and pretty good for 4wd at TORCH too but lots of people are using the new cut stagger from Schumacher as a 4wd alternative.

Happy to offer advice if you want to ring the shop or come over to the Lazy gazebo on Sunday.

Assuming we're allowed to park the love bus there...? ;)

Mark

ASKay
19-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks Mark, called today, all sorted now...

So going to make fun this weekend and bring my deck chair, and join the summer series (one more novice for the heats :D) ... If i can get in :thumbsup: (I assume that it has placed left?)

johnabbs
20-07-2011, 06:09 PM
hi mate,places shouldnt be a problem,its always best to turn up early tho,cheers.

simoncrabb
20-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Happy to help! :thumbsup:

People start turning up at 7am (the earliest birds), most turn up between 8am and half past.

ASKay
20-07-2011, 09:08 PM
7am... better pack coffee, and HEX stove...

ASKay
22-07-2011, 04:12 PM
does anyone run mini spikes yellows on the front (maybe outer spikes cut)????

also has anyone tried mini-pins front or rear???

again CAT SX3, what effect???

makinwaves
22-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Mini spies on the front are waaay overly sensitive round TORCH you would need a couple of rows cut off or use some old worn ones.

Cut staggers are pretty well the best up front on 4wd.

Never tried the mini pins, they're more of a carpet tyre.

The other brand worth trying (on a normal race meeting) is the dBoots brand. The multibyte gives super rear grip and good wear rate.

Mark

ASKay
22-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Mini spies on the front are waaay overly sensitive round TORCH you would need a couple of rows cut off or use some old worn ones.

Cut staggers are pretty well the best up front on 4wd.

Never tried the mini pins, they're more of a carpet tyre.

The other brand worth trying (on a normal race meeting) is the dBoots brand. The multibyte gives super rear grip and good wear rate.

Mark

Thanks Mark, got the cut staggers ready for the weekend from Simon... was just curious as in the good ol days a cut up set of spikes was good for most surfaces... I also assume a little negative camber is good for astro???... learning is going to be such a steep curve to climb :confused:

SteveB
22-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks Mark, got the cut staggers ready for the weekend from Simon... was just curious as in the good ol days a cut up set of spikes was good for most surfaces... I also assume a little negative camber is good for astro???... learning is going to be such a steep curve to climb :confused:

To clarify regarding cut stags, these will give u less steering than mini spike but will be very twitchy and at low speed over steer , I have choose not to use them as made my car too inconsistent! Be prepared to use your mini spike but cut 2 outside rows and 2 inside, or bed them in on tarmac heavily! Just have a look at cammers, Tony s, dan b and dave o to see some other options available.

Choosing the right front tyre will make or break whether u enjoy the characteristics of the track flow and features.

Hope this make sense, catch up with you Sunday

Steve

ASKay
22-07-2011, 07:00 PM
To clarify regarding cut stags, these will give u less steering than mini spike but will be very twitchy and at low speed over steer , I have choose not to use them as made my car too inconsistent! Be prepared to use your mini spike but cut 2 outside rows and 2 inside, or bed them in on tarmac heavily! Just have a look at cammers, Tony s, dan b and dave o to see some other options available.

Choosing the right front tyre will make or break whether u enjoy the characteristics of the track flow and features.

Hope this make sense, catch up with you Sunday

Steve

Hi Steve...

Great, thanks for that... very useful indeed...

think with a small additional order for RC lazy, a visit to Argos for a table and Gazebo... Ill all sorted now...

Thanks everyone for the prep advice...

Alex

MrMagoo
22-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I always wind up back with staggers (non-cut) on the Durango... I've tried the mini-spikes but they're way too twitchy for me, even with most of the spikes cut off! Previously I've run the fronts narrow, but I'm going to try them wide to start with this weekend to see what difference it makes.

I'm also planning a visit Mr Crabb's Mobile RC Emporium for a set of cut staggers to have a play with.

hotrodchris
22-07-2011, 09:06 PM
full width cut staggers on 4 wheel drive haven't tried without inserts as Mark suggested but might on Sunday

The Chef
22-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Rebuilt shocks lots of set up tim. Just need My receiver from MR crabb and my little box of spares that have been ordered.:thumbsup:

My boy cant wait. Here we come.:p

simoncrabb
23-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Just need My receiver from MR crabb and my little box of spares that have been ordered.:thumbsup:

You're whole order is ready for you. We even found a reamer we didn't think we had if you'd still like one!

And, we're VERY low on cut staggers, so hopefully Steve Brown will have some in stock too...

SteveB
23-07-2011, 07:30 PM
You're whole order is ready for you. We even found a reamer we didn't think we had if you'd still like one!

And, we're VERY low on cut staggers, so hopefully Steve Brown will have some in stock too...

Cut staggers in stock plenty for anyone needing them?

Thanks steve

racingben
23-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Anybody got any wheels to suit an ansmann xpro?

Need a set of greens spikes and ribs if it rains

MrMagoo
23-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Won't rain tomorrow Ben:thumbsup:

Will have my XPro with me but will be racing the 'Rango, so feel free to raid my tyre bag, I have some Ballistics that you can borrow if it's wet? Failing that the RC Lazy boys will be in the house, they should be able to sort you.

simoncrabb
23-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Naah, it wont rain.

We've got Ansmann wheels in stock, and all the usual tyres / inserts.