PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help and advice

Mav
23-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi guys

I have a new Hyper 7 with the .21 3 port engine.
The pullstart is broken so I want to get a starterbox for it

Where is the best place to get the replacement backplate and which one do I need?
Also need a new flywheel as mine has the diddy one on it that the starterbox cant reach.

mugenmark
24-07-2011, 06:57 PM
mav get a on line manaul for your engine,{use google],and that should the option part,if not dont worry just get the fly wheel,it will still start off a starter box,with or with out a back plate,the back plate makes the engine faster

Steven Forster
24-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Hi guys

I have a new Hyper 7 with the .21 3 port engine.
The pullstart is broken so I want to get a starterbox for it

Where is the best place to get the replacement backplate and which one do I need?
Also need a new flywheel as mine has the diddy one on it that the starterbox cant reach.

The back plate part number is 28017 (.21 and .28 engines) and check to see if you have the spacer plates on the engine mounts, if you swap the paltes around so that the engine fits straight onto the mount then you will lower it down a bit more so the fly wheel will sit lower............also you may need to mod the chassis by opening (widening) the hole up so the starter box wheel can touch the fly wheel !!! :thumbsup:

Mav
25-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Many Thanks for that Dexter, I will get on this as soon as I have some cash about.

staticvandal
25-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Hi. Mav, I am happy to do any mods for you if you need any help.

Mav
25-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Hi. Mav, I am happy to do any mods for you if you need any help.

WOW thats very kind of you mate thank you, Mugen Mark has offered to do the tuning as its not right in the low range.

Have to admit to being concerned about changing the backplate myself as last time I took an engine to bits it never worked again lol
Engine will need back plate and flywheel changing as my flywheel is a lightweight alloy race one but its too small to use with a starter box.

staticvandal
25-07-2011, 10:09 PM
No worries, perhaps if you can make it down next weekend we can have a look. If you are happy that the top is tuned properly the low end won't take long to set up, and I shall have a look around for the parts you want.
As for the back plate, this is were me and Mark differ in opinion, I would personally keep a pull start on there as well as using a starter box. You will have the best of both worlds then. When your engine is setup properly, pull starts are just so easy, no batteries, no having to carry your car back to the pits everytime it stops, just keep a glow starter in your back pocket and your away etc. etc.
Being honest you will loose about 1000rpm due to drag off the pull start and you need to make sure the starter box is running the right way if you have a pull start attached (otherwise bang:cry:), but unless your at very high end competition I doubt you will miss the rpm, and after all Mark (because I know he will reading this and shouting at the screen), you did get your ass kicked by a stock motor with pull start on Sunday:p. Sorry couldnt resist.
Any way thats just my opinion, which ever way you choose to go we are always happy to help when we can.

Mav
26-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Thanks again for the offer.
I wont be out and about for a couple of weeks as im going into hospital on friday for an operation but once im back on my feet I will let yo know if thats ok?

I like the idea of keeping a pullstart but mine is broken so may aswell ditch it and get the starter box now rather than spend out on a pull start.
Besides I could do without the blisters I got trying to start the hyper the other week lol
But you do raise a good point though.

mugenmark
26-07-2011, 08:23 AM
it true i got beat by a 28 engine{and the rb engine i was useing is lacking compression}, but mav wants to race at slough,he needs to convert to a startrer box,to fit the back plate you just take off the pullstarter and put the back plate on,that it.but you dont even need to do that,i just sealed the pull starter string to stop water getting in,mav real problem is the small fly wheel wont get near the starter box,as the outher guy said if the puts a back plate in he can lower the engine and it may fit a starter box with out needing a new fly wheel,so bigger fly wheel may do it,but back plate and flywheel will get the result he after.

RCPhil
26-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Mav

I seem to have become reasonably handy repairing pull starts in the last few months.

I'm in the process of buying some new pull start cord at the moment and will be passing this to members that need it for a small financial contribution.

If you need any please let me know.

Arsey Phil

Mav
26-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Its not the cord that broke unfortunately its the bit where the cord goes through the spool that has snapped out so new spool required. Im not going to worry about it and will get a starter box.

TJP
26-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Dear Mark,
I like to think it was the driver not the car, but unfortunately it was the bigger engine in a straight line that come through on the day.
Well that's the only way I'm going to win anything.:thumbsup:
TJP.

staticvandal
26-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Trevor, you underestimate yourself as always (better known as fishing for compliments :lol:). Have a great time in the sun.

Mav if you really want a starter box, I have a fastrax box that I don't use if you want to use it on loan until you get one, I am going to donate it to the club for trackside use anyway, so you might as well make use of it in the short term.

Mav
27-07-2011, 02:44 AM
Thanks mate that would be awesome :thumbsup:

mugenmark
27-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Dear Mark,
I like to think it was the driver not the car, but unfortunately it was the bigger engine in a straight line that come through on the day.
Well that's the only way I'm going to win anything.:thumbsup:
TJP.
tev you beat me hands down,i always told you the trophy a beast,people love the savage,but i have the trophy any day,