PDA

View Full Version : X-5 (& XX4) front hex upgrade

Chrislong
22-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi guys,
Thought id post this here, looked for older posts about hex slippage and can;t find any to add to...

Many may have striped the hex inside Losi front wheels, making them useless. Well now we have a cure, in the form of B44 hexes.

These Hexes are deeper, so will be more reliable than stock Losi items, they are a direct replacement.

The added width does make the front end wider, but I believe with Losi wheels the car is still within width, but with Proline B44 wheels (with deeper hex socket) the offset is recovered again.

Also, AE have done some ultra low profile nuts, so the wheels are locked on properly. I am using Losi low profile nuts still which are new, and seem to lock, just, but id like to recommend the AE ones for added safety.

Chris

super__dan
22-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Northy also does some slim blue ones which are good!

I plan to get the hexes on mine shortly but with the Losi wheel and B44 hex you defo defo need very slim nuts ;)

Chrislong
22-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Just talking to G, I didn't realise he did them!

Well with Nortech drive pins (now available) and Nortech slim nuts, with B44 Hexes and Proline wheels - that part of the drivetrain will be bullet proof.

Chris

Northy
22-01-2008, 10:15 PM
And Nor-Tech Racing drive pins in the rear axle too, you'll be sorted :D

G

ashleyb4
23-01-2008, 12:05 AM
ive never tripped a hex on anyof my losi wheels :eh?: Must just be lucky.

A

MikePimlott
23-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Chris,

Do the deeper Hex wheels Catch on the hubs at all?????

Chrislong
23-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Chris,

Do the deeper Hex wheels Catch on the hubs at all?????

Come on Mike, use your loaf mate, the Hexes are deeper for the B44, and so is the moulding in the wheel.

You CAN'T use B44 wheels on Losi Hexes as they catch on the hub.

The parts to use are:
B44 Hexes
B44 Wheels
Nortech pins
Nortech nuts

This will fit X-5, XX4, BJ4 and funnily enough a B44 too. ;)

Chris Doughty
23-01-2008, 08:50 AM
ive never tripped a hex on anyof my losi wheels :eh?: Must just be lucky.

A

your peak/orion must be lacking power, either that or your xx4 can't put the power down.

I never stripped any until I used my S4, xx4's drivetrain is full of rubber bands :rolleyes: :p

Northy
23-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I think Ash is fairly sensible though, and uses a 7.5 brushless. Stu (captain 12double) has never stripped them either.

It's all about the power ;)

G

Northy
23-01-2008, 09:01 AM
The parts to use are:
B44 Hexes
B44 Wheels
Nortech pins
Nortech nuts

This will fit X-5, XX4, BJ4 and funnily enough a B44 too. ;)

Reminds me to get the pins in the shop...... :rolleyes:

G

Lee
23-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I have never stripped one either, i run a 5.5 and a checkpoint 10 and never done one in over a year on the bj4:o

Northy
23-01-2008, 09:45 AM
But you drive like a gay touring car girl. :p

Did yo guys know that Lee sometimes doesn't even use flat out on the straight? :wtf:

Chrislong
23-01-2008, 09:47 AM
To be honest, I have never stripped a hex either, but I know Dan has, I just like to make sure these things which can happen - don't happen to me, therefore I have done these mods.

Although, I do stress the plastic in my wheels and had the plastic look like its tried to twist - at the point the wheel is buckled but doesn't slip.

The B44 wheels are great, seem to run very straight and a good plastic. So there is an improvement in AE wheel vs Proline wheel.

I still want to run the Jconcept spoke wheels for B44 though.

Chris

Chrislong
23-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Did yo guys know that Lee sometimes doesn't even use flat out on the straight? :wtf:

Thats bizarre and obsene! Come on Lee, you need to give it more beans, I use flatout a dozen times per lap!! sometimes while driving sideways.

millzy
23-01-2008, 09:54 AM
tivy i would never use flat out and a few timeslast year at kiddy , bury metro and stotfold i didnt use full throttle.

i think the only time i used full throttle every lap was at the f2s with tony trumans b4, and im pretty sure southwell wasnt using all this throttle at the f3s with his xx4 at coventry

Jamie B4
23-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Chris

Has anyone got some part numbers for the front hexes and wheels as would like to have the option of doing the upgrade but not sure of the parts needed.

Wraggy
23-01-2008, 10:18 AM
and im pretty sure southwell wasnt using all this throttle at the f3s with his xx4 at coventry
im sure he was down the back straight mate !!!! its was bloody long enough .. :)

millzy
23-01-2008, 10:33 AM
nah not with the 4wd, he was holding off a lot to keep a good line around the sweeper avoiding the rutts that where throwing people off

when he did try full throttle the car rolled and snapped the shock tower.

Chrislong
23-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Yep, it is Part number ASC9750 for the hex ;)

Jamie B4
23-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Cheers mate:cool:

Northy
23-01-2008, 02:03 PM
The pins are now in the store.

The rear axle pins are here:
http://nor-tech.gforceimages.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=52

Unfortunatley I miss calculated :( so the above pins are too long to go in the front hexes where the pins go from flat to flat :mad: They will fit with a bit of dremel work though (remove 1.7mm). I will get some that are a perfect fit for the front hexes.

The thin CVD nuts can be found here:
http://nor-tech.gforceimages.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=60

Cheers,

G

ashleyb4
23-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I think Ash is fairly sensible though, and uses a 7.5 brushless. Stu (captain 12double) has never stripped them either.

G

I have more power now hehe i have a 6.5 now :) but after about 3 minutes of runing it i snapped a front belt :)

A

Southwell
23-01-2008, 02:07 PM
It also depends how much of an animal you are with your brakes (if running a diff) and if you nail it out of the corners, which i tend to :P

Lee
23-01-2008, 02:24 PM
But you drive like a gay touring car girl. :p

Oooh you bitch:D

I know i need to drive harder and i get very fustrated knowing i can go faster, but the bj4 doesnt like to be pushed hard:wtf:

Stu
24-01-2008, 06:42 PM
.......... Stu (captain 12double) has never stripped them ..........

G

I'll also anwer to 'Captain Yellow Five Spoke'

Milz, why do you have my car as your Avatar?
Do you like me a lot? I may me partly Welsh but that's not gonna happen.

Stu
24-01-2008, 06:50 PM
................the bj4 doesnt like to be pushed hard:wtf:

Like a Norwegian hooker?

bigred5765
24-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I have more power now hehe i have a 6.5 now :) but after about 3 minutes of runing it i snapped a front belt :)

A

your slipper was to tight thats why belts snapped

Northy
24-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeh, you need your slipper to slip for the first 3 foot, what a clever design...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

G

tyreman
24-01-2008, 08:36 PM
your peak/orion must be lacking power, either that or your xx4 can't put the power down.

I never stripped any until I used my S4, xx4's drivetrain is full of rubber bands :rolleyes: :p

Now i know you don't want to get into the whole speed/power debate with me Chris;)
But I only stripped the front hex in the wheels when the XXX4 first came out and the wheels had an star/multi hex in the front wheel.

Someone from the mid-west was complaining that they were snapping belts, but never thought it might be because his slipper was locked solid, and he had set the punch setting on his brushless speedo to 8.:rolleyes:

BELTS ONLY BREAK IF YOU DON'T SET YOUR SLIPPER UP.

Yeh, you need your slipper to slip for the first 3 foot, what a clever design...... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

G

It was a inovitive design 12 years ago when the car was first showcased at the Euro's in France at the hands of Kevin Moore, (using 1700 scrc cells), and the fact that after all this time, there is still not a car that is head over heels better than it, says everything about the about the car/design.

Chrislong
24-01-2008, 08:49 PM
It was a inovitive design 12 years ago when the car was first showcased at the Euro's in France at the hands of Kevin Moore, (using 1700 scrc cells), and the fact that after all this time, there is still not a car that is head over heels better than it, says everything about the about the car/design.

Nobody can argue with that. I guess the geometry will be copied for years to come now.

Stu
24-01-2008, 09:11 PM
..............blah blah blah..................................

All 100% correct.

I've only ever stripped the bi-hex wheels, never a hex - and I do run hotter motors than 12's, outdoors - ;)

I NEVER break belts. Change them along with pully's after a seasons use, and set the slipper to give a little (not as much as 3 feet as that will melt the pully's) and they'll be fine.

I guess the geometry will be copied for years to come now.

I wonder what the next major manufacturer looking at a belt drive 4wd that will be?

Northy
24-01-2008, 09:22 PM
I wonder what the next major manufacturer looking at a belt drive 4wd that will be?

Oh, I wonder :rolleyes:

Give me an S....... :p

G

Chrislong
24-01-2008, 09:34 PM
" S "

Northy
24-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Give me a 'C'..........

Chrislong
24-01-2008, 10:13 PM
" C "

Stu
24-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Who makes what's on your feet?

Lee
24-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Scholl:D

They make old womens clog things:confused:

Am i right:rolleyes:

WHITTLER555
24-01-2008, 10:32 PM
STU! Never mind this bo**ocks!

a) Why are you not in bed?

b) Have you sorted what you want to do on sunday?

Northy
09-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Just to let everyone know I now have drive pins in the shop which are a direct fit for the front hexes :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And some 4-40 taps ;)

G

Chrislong
23-05-2008, 03:08 PM
UPDATE!

There is another option!!!!

We can use HB front & rear wheels on the X-5, rear wheels on an X-6.

For the front, you just need Part# 61474, this hex is bigger in diameter and so the wheel hex slipping issue is solved - while being a shallow hex again, so the locking part of the nut has enough thread through it to lock.

On the rear (X-5 & X-6), you need Part# 61475 and those Losi XX4 front bearing shims. The Hex fits straight onto the axle and pin, then locks properly. But then the HB wheels have an inset for the wheelnut which a Losi nut sits right in, but the wrench will not - this is where the XX4 bearing spacers go, put this on after the wheel, and then the nut will be able to be tightened.

The offsets are all as they should be.

For some these wheels may also be cheaper. This is why I am doing this.

Chris