PDA

View Full Version : 13.5 motor which make is fastest

ste mi4
24-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Which 13.5 motor is the quickest.

Looking at changing motor currently running 13.5 speed passion v3 and does not seem to be as quick as others.

I run the Hobbywing 60a extreme stock but again looking at tekin rs as this has to be a better speed controller because of price.

Fair play to Hobbywing for giving a buget ESC but struggling now to keep up with the fast boys

So any thoughts please on a better combo cheers

RogerM
24-07-2011, 02:17 PM
DON'T change the HobbyWing!!!!!

Seriously it is the best ESC I've run since going brushless. If you think the ESC is not giving you what you want then let us know your firmware, settings etc and we'll try to help you get the best from it!!!
(Also worth remembering that several other ESCs out there are rebadged or OEM commisioned HobbyWing products)

As far as 13.5 motors are concerned I have very limited information as I have only run my Orion and set up a HobbyWing for my good lady and that seems pretty damn good too.
My car doesn't seem short of pace on the straights with the Orion & HobbyWing combination, and is SO much smoother than any other TURBO combination I have had a chance to drive!

ste mi4
24-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I am currently running firmware 119

Boost 45

Turbo timing 15

Turbo delay .1sec

Acc 500

Boost start 5000rpm

Turbo slope 12

Thes settings are of the top of my head as I am out at moment but will still reply

Also my v3 speed passion Is on full timing

Big paul
24-07-2011, 03:12 PM
how long is the strait at your track Is it out door or in door ,if indoor is it carpet or polished floor.

ste mi4
24-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Sorry forgot to say

Carpet indoor I race at 2 tracks

One is 20m straight and other track is about 25 - 30m straigt

Cheers Steve

Big paul
24-07-2011, 04:41 PM
ste mi4 have a look through here there will be a set up to sort you here.You need two one for each track.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/497983-hobbywing-esc-settings-only.html

ste mi4
24-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks Big Paul will have a look

Cheers Steve

stumpiey
24-07-2011, 05:40 PM
if it's just club racing your doing then and are looking for more then bung in a corally pro red, but it aint BRCA legal

BeachBuggyPhil
25-07-2011, 08:35 PM
What pinion and spur are you using?

ste mi4
26-07-2011, 06:35 PM
19 pinion

85 spur

1:9 internal ratio

fdr 8.50

Bigbaddave
26-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I run a 13.5 LRP X12 in my T3'11 and it is very powerful, more punch than the Speed passion. Also the Novak are punchy motors

ste mi4
27-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I run a 13.5 LRP X12 in my T3'11 and it is very powerful, more punch than the Speed passion. Also the Novak are punchy motors

Think i may have solved problem, took speed passion apart, give really good clean, i dont think i had advanced the timing properly on the motor.

Once cleaned i rebuilt motor, with timing on +10 degrees, done a bench test which dont like doing.

Sounds a hell of alot quicker now, just have to wait till Friday night to try it, hope this has sorted it.

andy110m
27-07-2011, 05:06 PM
The Hobbywing is an awesome unit with either the X12 or the Novak motors. Temps can be an issue to watch, as with any other speedo but you have some options. If you can you could try updating the firmware to 211stock as its easier to use and stays cooler than 119.

and I'd start with something like,

Boost 40
Turbo 24
0.1 delay
6 slope
8000 RPM
350 ACC

Try that in a practice, temp it after 4 minutes to make sure its not getting to hot. If its fine after 5 minutes and you still want more lower the ACC and/or increase the slope but again please watch the temps.

Hope that helps.

bodgit
27-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Is there anyone you can swap cars with for a few laps in practice and race against them to see if they can beat you using your car. No offence intended here but sometimes its not the gear its the driver skills

ste mi4
28-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Is there anyone you can swap cars with for a few laps in practice and race against them to see if they can beat you using your car. No offence intended here but sometimes its not the gear its the driver skills

i am not saying im a good driver, and its my skills letting me down i'm just saying the car does not seem quick,

in practice laps a friend has a 17.5 in his T3 i have a 13.5 T3,

when comeing of top bend down on the straght you would think i would pull away down straight, (not a chance) his car with 17.5 is quicker than mine not by much, but is quicker.

I have stripped motor down give good clean, checked car over no problems. I tried changeing sensor wire but that was fine.

tried lots of different settings on Hobby wing not a great deal of difference, this is why i think is it the speedpassion or the combination of speed passion and Hobbywing, maybe a different motor may be worth trying.

sosidge
28-07-2011, 03:23 PM
I run the exact same motor/ESC combo as you in my touring car and my car is ballistic indoors and out.

My car runs 211 firmware right now, gear ratio is about 7.5:1, motor is at +10, ESC boost is 36, turbo is 28, delay is 0.4, other settings are more or less default.

Losing nothing to anyone on the long Cotswold straight at the BTCC round this year, indoors I honestly think these boosted setups are too fast for the majority of racers, my club has a 20m straight and I much prefer racing in blinky mode, everything I lose on the straight I gain back by not overshooting the first corner, even on a 30x16m track I was only losing a few tenths of a second to boosted cars when in blinky mode.

i am not saying im a good driver, and its my skills letting me down i'm just saying the car does not seem quick,

in practice laps a friend has a 17.5 in his T3 i have a 13.5 T3,

when comeing of top bend down on the straght you would think i would pull away down straight, (not a chance) his car with 17.5 is quicker than mine not by much, but is quicker.

I have stripped motor down give good clean, checked car over no problems. I tried changeing sensor wire but that was fine.

tried lots of different settings on Hobby wing not a great deal of difference, this is why i think is it the speedpassion or the combination of speed passion and Hobbywing, maybe a different motor may be worth trying.

BeachBuggyPhil
28-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Have you tried a bigger pinion? Its made a big difference to my car which was RTR, it accelerated well but I ran out of speed quickly, I went up 5 teeth on the pinion and without changing anything else I'm suddenly a lot faster. Keep an eye on temperatures as mentioned. If you have some just try them.

ste mi4
29-07-2011, 01:44 PM
just to update i now have 211 firmware on with Mr sosidge settings,

sounds great see how we get on tonight.

Thanks for all your input guys.

will try different pinions tonight starting with 18 :thumbsup:

Big paul
30-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Deff try 22/23 pinion on the bigger track. then hold on to your hat.

BeachBuggyPhil
10-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm up to 26 on my pinion and the motor comes off barely warm but the cars fast enough for me to keep with the people that matter. I just need to stop crashing in the final!!