PDA

View Full Version : New servo chattering

dobber
25-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I've fitted a new servo to replace my very old but reliable futaba 3003. Got a Savox servo but it chatters a bit and when testing it seems to get interference. When full throttle and turning it will either put the wheels straight or worse go the opposite way. Should I rested the receiver (got a code system with blue rx) this tx and rx worked perfectly before putting in the Savox. Any thoughts as I may have to swap it back over before tomorrow evenings racing.
Ta muchly!

styleone
25-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I've fitted a new servo to replace my very old but reliable futaba 3003. Got a Savox servo but it chatters a bit and when testing it seems to get interference. When full throttle and turning it will either put the wheels straight or worse go the opposite way. Should I rested the receiver (got a code system with blue rx) this tx and rx worked perfectly before putting in the Savox. Any thoughts as I may have to swap it back over before tomorrow evenings racing.
Ta muchly!

All my Savox 1251's chatter under trimmed load? Always have, although I have never experienced the 'wrong way' and 'self centering' throw you are getting

Keep us posted if you silence that pesky thing :)

Bigbaddave
26-07-2011, 09:08 PM
What receiver/transmitter are you using? Is it 2.4 GhZ?

dobber
26-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Yes it's a code 2.4ghz tx and rx. I swapped over to the trusty futaba and it was spot on. All very frustrating!

fidspeed
28-07-2011, 08:25 PM
hi

i have heard of people suffering with servos like this it may be that the servo is a bit "thirsty" on the current drain . plugging a voltage booster into the receiver may help

your old Futaba is anologue and less greedy on power than the newer digital servos when on full power and turning current drain from battery is max receiver voltage can drop just causing servo to play up

This is only advice it may be you have a different fault (it may be a faulty servo) but it would be my first thing to try

hope this helps

dave

Timee80
28-07-2011, 09:56 PM
He bought the servo from me. I suggested the same thing about using more power. If you cant resolve the problem and would like to return it i am more than happy to have it back mate. It was working perfectly for me and im sure it will be a simple solution like suggested above.

ch!3f
28-07-2011, 10:37 PM
try a power cap also reset your trim on the tx and re aline the the servo horn so its near enough centre.

i had problems with the old core rc code tx where the servo wouldnt centre same servo too but other it was fine

dobber
29-07-2011, 05:26 AM
He bought the servo from me. I suggested the same thing about using more power. If you cant resolve the problem and would like to return it i am more than happy to have it back mate. It was working perfectly for me and im sure it will be a simple solution like suggested above.

Indeed i did and you've been 100% genuine and helpful. Over the weekend im going to try it back in the car with a slightly different layout and also re bind the tx and rx. I'd find it hard to believe its a power issue as im running nosram extreme 5000mah 50C lipo's but i could be wrong :)

Will let you know.

MattW
29-07-2011, 07:53 AM
If it's a power issue, then it is probably a speedo issue - that could potentially be resolved with a capacitor as suggested on the reciever. If you're running a PT, take that out, see if that makes any difference.

dobber
29-07-2011, 09:45 AM
If it's a power issue, then it is probably a speedo issue - that could potentially be resolved with a capacitor as suggested on the reciever. If you're running a PT, take that out, see if that makes any difference.

I am running a PT so ill take it out and see what happens. As for esc im running a hobbywing 120a v2.1

If i needed a capacitor what rating would it need to be?

RogerM
29-07-2011, 11:27 AM
That ESC has a power output more than ample to provide the demands of that servo. Sounds like it might be a limitation of the RX circuit board in delivering that power (I've heard of this witha few Code users). If that is the case then any of the off the shelf RX capacitors will sort you out (fill in the dips in power and lessen the voltage drops under load). I can't remember exactly what I used in 2wd car, 220uF 16V sounds familiar .... the strange thing was that once I went to the HobbyWing ESC in that car the issue vanished, seems the old ESC wasn't man enough!