PDA

View Full Version : Old Durango restoration Project!

Rebelrc
29-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Hi to all reading this
i have decided to restore my old 2005 durango prototype and use it again
i want too run modern lipo's but cause of its history couldnt bear too machine out the cell dividing ribs, so i have had a new chassis made without them
I have put some pics here so you can see the new chassis with old bits next to it ready for re anodising and re racing...excited:drool:
Many thanks for reading

Rebelrc
29-07-2011, 10:01 PM
some more pics of how it used to look.....good days and bad days

Big G
29-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Lazer ZXR hubs? :D

Rebelrc
29-07-2011, 10:54 PM
TC3 hubs....all the car is either associated( most b4) or Gerd Strenge ( originaly) apart from the props are old schumacher items
cheers

Rebelrc
29-07-2011, 11:11 PM
The New chassis was drawn in cad and altered by Adam Hampton....and he did an amazing job as per normal, Many Many thanks to him for his attention to quality and detail....its better than the original:lol:... the fit is outstanding.
and was machined out by Lewis Dickinson at VEGA/Team Xtreme so also Many many thanks to him also for his attention to detail....yes its vega good:lol:
they have both done me proud on a silly little one off project of mine:thumbsup:
cheers

MHeadling
30-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Loving the new/old rango!

Amazing work by Adam H and Xtreme, I want my own CNC machine!

Looking forward to seeing going, once done it'll be too nice to race!

olefiloux
30-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Really great job.. and very exciting to see such unic cars.:drool:
The "proto" durango is such a dream compare to the producted car...

How does your "Carbon yokomo" is handling on the differents UK tracks??

Rebelrc
30-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys
There's lots of unique cars in my workshop and yes oople is great for seeing rare odd things
The carbon is good thanks. Drives really well, shame I haven't any time for it though. :lol:

AiR
30-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't run it, if it is proto. It might be worth lots of money.

Rebelrc
30-07-2011, 08:46 PM
It is worth alot.
I payed alot but still run it for 5years lol
As you can see it's pretty robust and if it breaks I have the kno to fix it
Cheers
Just think this is the car that put Durango on the map
Without this car no dex anything lol:thumbsup:

Rebelrc
30-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I am going to re anodise the whole car , re resin all the carbon to look like new, vacuum form new body and battery holders etc to bring it back to as new
I will post pics here as I go ( if people are interested )

Rebelrc
31-07-2011, 09:14 AM
I have had some people contacting me about if I will sell this car, it's not for sale especially to be some dust collecting shelf queen lol but if I ever do jimmy oople has first refusal ,cheers.
I did once advertise it for sale then broke a bit so took it out of the sale hope that clears that up.

MHeadling
31-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I know what you payed for it, most people couldn't afford it!

Put it this way you could buy a reasonable real car for the price!

Good luck with the project, keep the updates coming!

Rebelrc
23-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Been to busy to start to finish it off!:thumbdown:
Hopefully soon.

Rebelrc
11-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I had a few hours last night so machined the kick ups on the new chassis, and pocketed out the under the diffs:) everything fits perfectly:thumbsup:Excited now!
I may even ( if I get time ) anodise it black tonight ( in my kitchen so wife will be really happy with that lol)
Hopefully when it runs again It will still be on the pace and I can get to use it at offroad wars yay!;)

captainlip
11-09-2011, 06:02 PM
looks awesome rebel :thumbsup:

discostu
11-09-2011, 06:18 PM
cant wait to see this bad boy back on the race track yet another rango to beat. couldn't resist see ya wednesday scott :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::woot::woot::woot:

Rebelrc
13-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks stu
Sadly the car won't be running tomorrow , but next week now:thumbdown:
I have assembled it all , to test fit everything and one of the last bits is to mount the motor, and I've missed a bit of milling (tiny bit) but now I have to take it all apart again so as to get it on the mill.... Boo!
I was really excited about running it again, but best to do it properly lol
Even fitted a brand spanking new one way....:)

MHeadling
14-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Look forward to seeing it go!

Oneway eh?! Old School! :thumbsup:

Rebelrc
15-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I did manage to get the car finished to a raceable standard and raced it last night.:thumbsup:
I ran the car with it's old school brushed speedo/motor cause it was convenient with the lack of time that I had and it was slow !(27t stock) verses the rest of the club with modern brushless 13.5's and lots of boost.
The car ran completely reliably
Now all I need to do is pretty it up a bit by making a new shell etc and re anodising:)
Battery straps were made from a pop bottle 10 mins before the meeting......recycling is the way to go.;)

miura
15-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I did manage to get the car finished to a raceable standard and raced it last night.:thumbsup:
I ran the car with it's old school brushed speedo/motor cause it was convenient with the lack of time that I had and it was slow !(27t stock) verses the rest of the club with modern brushless 13.5's and lots of boost.
The car ran completely reliably
Now all I need to do is pretty it up a bit by making a new shell etc and re anodising:)
Battery straps were made from a pop bottle 10 mins before the meeting......recycling is the way to go.;)
Very nice to hear but we need pictures:thumbsup:

Rebelrc
15-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Here's some pics
hope you can see them ok miura....crappy Iphone camera.
cant wait to get it running brushless for next week ( Wednesday eve at faversham)
cheers

Rebelrc
15-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Those last two photos are a do not do this at home lol

whissstle
15-09-2011, 09:58 PM
The car looked awesome yesterday! Top job and up close it looks the nuts. :thumbsup:

Rebelrc
15-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Cheers Tom . Have a little go with it next week if you like?
Did go well though for a shakedown ... Little bit more power and killer again lol
Could you tell last night I was excited:thumbsup:

Rebelrc
15-09-2011, 10:12 PM
It was on pace and stu only just pipped me lol. I was gutted hehe but he was twice as quick on the straights

discostu
15-09-2011, 10:29 PM
yeah yeah scot i was sandbagging:p LOL the car is beautifull well done mate

whissstle
15-09-2011, 10:35 PM
^^^LIES^^^ lol only kidding. And yeah whack some brushless stuff in it. :p

Rebelrc
16-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Thanks guys , very kind ,See you Wednesday
Oh and thanks to Adam H and team Xtreme

I need to find now some sticky lead cause cell area needs more gravitational pull lol . Can't find any though , I used to have lots of it.

Hedlro
16-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Great job!!! I especially like the photo above where you are milling the chassis with the front and rear ends still in place!!!:thumbsup:

You don't see enough of this now a days where people modify or redesign cars. When I was a kid there was one a week at the club I went to. I even created a 4 wheel steer version of my Schumacher Cougar which worked well until the chassis started to bend. I hadn't really taken into account that removing part of the aluminium from the chassis would weaken it!!! I was only 13:woot:

Rebelrc
16-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Many thanks hedlro
You would love my workshop then! Most things are cut up lol all in the name of speed. In the background of one of those photo's there is a new carbon tub
For another car I made many weeks ago. But haven't had time to finish... It's in rough stages without gloss.. I really should clear up a bit in there as I keep taking photo's forgetting what little secrets are in the background lol
Glad you like it. Hopefully some of my work/creations will inspire people to put down there playstations and laptops and have ago themselves .
Isn't 4wheel steer banned now? Always a tricky one that as you want the front wheels steering one way with the rear opposing at low speed, then at high speed you need the rear to swap direction and then all wheels would steer the same direction together . If that makes sense? Tricky
Cheers

MHeadling
16-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Good job Scott, it looked really good on Wednesday, I wish my cars went that well on a shake down run! :lol:

Nice to see it going again, its now had two top owners, Hara and Rebel rc!

Rebelrc
16-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Cheers Mark
3= Peter Pinish! Also:thumbsup:

Ebi
17-09-2011, 08:49 AM
This is my vintage Durango - waiting for a new life

Rebelrc
18-09-2011, 06:51 PM
New life? It looks mint ebi!
I was going to ask how you got yours but then I remembered your team lol
Ebi I am searching for a new rear prop, I know it's Schumacher but do you know what it's off?
I am going to make some new shells for mine unless you can help? Do you have any I can buy? I don't mind paying over the odds for one!
They are great cars are they not.....? Someone recently described mine as a proper weapon:thumbsup:
Do you need a lipo chassis?
Cheers
Scott

Rebelrc
20-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the pm Ebi
Brushless fitted
Ready for some boost tomorrow night at faversham lol

MHeadling
21-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Im sure it'll go great with the brushless set up, watch out for it in the A final each week!:woot:

lcpvcce
01-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Wow.............good stuff :woot: