PDA

View Full Version : Brushless system upgrade

jackeltrader
01-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi Guys,
I am fairly new to racing 1/10th off road after a long absence and I currently run a stock brushed motor & ESC in my kyosho lazer ZX5. I will soon be looking to upgrade everything to a 13.5t brushless sytem including esc & obviously lipos for local indoor racing but I am finding it a mine field - local modelshop is a no no as they just want to shift their stock. I am at a loss as I want an ESC that will last as I progress to more powerful motors for outdoor racing & tunning etc. Could anyone give me some pointers - I know alot of brands make excellent gear but how to choose them apart is just too much for me right now....any advice would be much appreciated, sorry this is so vague guys!
Cheers

Simion Wabs
01-08-2011, 02:42 PM
only once choice .... HobbyWing Xtreme Stock with 13.5tmotor

Superb combo and is versatile enough to adjust as and when you improve over time.

Once you review this combo you will see it is half the price for the same performance as other top brand ESC combos.

Si

mattybucks
01-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Buy the best speedo you can afford. Although your looking for something to run a 13.5 motor I would recommend getting an ESC that'll run any motor down to a 5.5T.

The reason for this is once you start racing you will want to go faster. If you limited by your speedo then you'll have to buy a new speedo as well as a motor.

I used speed passions - the GT Pro 2.0 and the LPF 2.0 and find them really good. But some people will say the Orca's, Viper's, or Tekin's are better.

Go to your local track and see what all the top guys are using. They will hopefully be able to advise you what settings to use, and quite often will even set the speedo up for you.

jackeltrader
02-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - its good to know a bit more & like you say research is the name of the game so I'll keep on looking until I am ready for the leap into the world of speed!!
Many Thanks,
Craig