PDA

View Full Version : DBoots and Schumacher Silvers

paulc
01-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi

Anybody put DBoots or Schumacher silvers in Acetone i know Schmacher greens are no good after been in acetone

Ta Paul

mikeyscott
01-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi

Anybody put DBoots or Schumacher silvers in Acetone i know Schmacher greens are no good after been in acetone

Ta Paul

I can't comment about the above, but I'm yet to find a tyre that really survives. Maybe it's just the acetone I have.

mattybucks
01-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Beat me to it Mikey.

I would'nt put any tyre in acetone and then look to use it again. The foams also soak up all the acetone.

I cut the tyres off the rims, take the insert off so I can be reused, and put the rims in acetone for a couple of days.

mikeyscott
01-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Beat me to it Mikey.

I would'nt put any tyre in acetone and then look to use it again. The foams also soak up all the acetone.

I cut the tyres off the rims, take the insert off so I can be reused, and put the rims in acetone for a couple of days.

Same process as me

dmsykes
01-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi Paul,

I would not put any tyres in Acetone that you would wish to use again.

Acetone is a solvent to most polymers and usually softens/degrades them quite quickly. You can wipe the beads of new tyres with acetone to remove mould release and bloom which will give you a better surface to stick the tyres to the rims.

The only time I would fully submerge tyres in acetone is when I require to reclaim the rims. Then I cut the tyre to recover the insert prior to putting the rest into the acetone bath. 24/30 hours should be enough time to loosen the bond and allow easy cleaning of the adheasive from the rim.
:thumbsup:

jameswilkinson7
01-08-2011, 03:05 PM
How about boiling them off? Does that damage the tyre?

russmini
01-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Do you submerge then ?

I don't.

I place an object, usually a piece of Ali block i have in my pot, pour in some Acetone, about 15mm, then place one wheel on that and the other on the top of that.

Put an air-tight lid on and leave for 24-48 hours.

The lower wheel, will see no hint of resistance to the tyre coming off, the higher might, but it will be very minimal. You could of course, change them round half way through (i'm just too lazy).

I would never submerge...

mattybucks
01-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Submerged. make sure you've not go a cuts on your hands when getting them back out.

paulc
01-08-2011, 03:26 PM
I usually do what all you guys mention cutting the tyre off and taking the insert out but got some silvers and dboots i want to swap from one set of wheels to another

lochness42
01-08-2011, 04:14 PM
How about boiling them off? Does that damage the tyre?

I boiled some LRP TC tires as they were mounted on bloody useless wheels which broke just by looking at them. I used them for few meetings without issue (if they had some performance drop I didn't really notice it). Uhm and I belive that TC tires are more grip sensitive. Truth is that some tire compound might won't work well though - there are so many different compounds now.

kaszal
01-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Schuey yellows seem fine after acetone dip. I cracked two rims the other day and I'm not spending £14 if I can re-use the tyres. Besides, they're perfectly worn down right now :D

Rich D
01-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Schuey yellows seem fine after acetone dip. I cracked two rims the other day and I'm not spending £14 if I can re-use the tyres. Besides, they're perfectly worn down right now :D

Yeah i have ran yellows after dipping too, numerous times. They are seemingly unaffected. You`re quite right about some though, Greens are no good after dipping. They go rock hard. Foams are unaffected by Acetone too, i rinse mine in clean acetone and reuse once they have dried out.

WHITTLER555
01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Yep, Eyeball Paul, you will be fine dipping the DBoots and leaving the acetone to work it's wonders!

The ones that me and Matt used all Saturday at The Invernational had been taken off some badgered wheels.

Can't comment on the silvers yet, Shuey's do tend to go a little harder after acetoning them so use them quick!

Big G
01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I was about to acetone my silvers to install slightly harder foams...

I've removed loads off BB greens and they seem unaffected. I don't submerged though.