PDA

View Full Version : Black five radio rims...

zaquiz
06-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi again. I have been wondering for a while about the black rims on Gavin Crollas car. Havnt seen this kind of rims since the HPI ones in the 90s! Where did he get them? What brand? Somebody knows?

Thx /Z.

PaulRotheram
06-07-2006, 10:45 PM
they seem to be xxx4 spoked wheels, and then coloured with a black dye.

jimmy
06-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Do you have pics ? links to pics ?

They sound like they might be the fastrax things ? maybe dyed also like paul says. ?
I have seen some (I think) fastrax wheels that were like that - in fact vicky broke one at Kiddy national this year.

PaulRotheram
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
on your own website do0d :o :p

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/x5/imagepages/york12.html

i used to have some just like it.. but in white.

Chrislong
07-07-2006, 07:37 AM
Gavin won't be about to read this, he has quit racing recently, which is a shame, he's a cool guy. I'll be keeping intouch with him, he's keeping all his racing equipment as he knows he'll be back.

I was with Gav when he bought these, they were old stock of Fastrax wheels that came as a pack of 4 and pre-coloured black. He had them a while before using them, I think he bought them at the last RRCi meeting at Southport from Formby Models.

zaquiz
10-07-2006, 01:20 PM
OK... thanx guys this i such a gr8 forum! Fast n good answer always.

So I guess this old fastrax wheels r impossible to get now? Specially living i spain as i do... :(

I love black wheels, so i think i will just dye plenty of standard losi wheels for comining races! Got i nice tip from i friend, to boil them in dye for syntetic clothes for five min with some salt.

Ciao Z

jimmy
10-07-2006, 01:24 PM
yea, the longer you leave the wheels to dye - the more the dye penetrates into the plastic (up to a point), they may be ok at 5 minutes but it may take longer for the dye to get deep enough..
I did some a while back and it would scratch off easily if I only left it in a few minutes.