PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start out (again)

Sumilidon
14-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Hello all,

I used to race occasionally (very occasionally) at Oxclose with my Touring car however from what I can see, Oxclose and Jarrow have finished and merged into Seaham?

I'm interested in racing again but obviously have the wrong car for it. I'm not a big one for all the upgrades etc so do you guys do race categories like Oxclose did? Equally matched cars racing each other sort of thing?

I ask this as I'm going to keep it on a budget and my old car has some fairly old components I'd be looking to keep.

I'll have a pop along tonight and have a look.

AfroP
14-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Hello all,

I used to race occasionally (very occasionally) at Oxclose with my Touring car however from what I can see, Oxclose and Jarrow have finished and merged into Seaham?

I'm interested in racing again but obviously have the wrong car for it. I'm not a big one for all the upgrades etc so do you guys do race categories like Oxclose did? Equally matched cars racing each other sort of thing?

I ask this as I'm going to keep it on a budget and my old car has some fairly old components I'd be looking to keep.

I'll have a pop along tonight and have a look.

At seaham we run 2wd and 4wd buggies where the only things that are matched are maybe the tires and model of buggy.
form the sounds of it the guys that run at tyne met on a monday night are more like what your looking for. they run touring cars with matched tires and all run the same turn motor(19t I think)

Still get yourself along to seaham tonight and have a look, you never know you might find buggies to your liking. :thumbsup:

Sumilidon
14-08-2011, 09:11 AM
It's a bit far in honesty and less looking for matched races instead just ones where they don't get too narked by a newbie is a car nowhere near as good as theirs :)

This I would prefer the switch to buggy anyways, more varied experience.

Just trying to catch up on 10 years of technology and changes I have missed

AfroP
14-08-2011, 10:27 AM
It's a bit far in honesty and less looking for matched races instead just ones where they don't get too narked by a newbie is a car nowhere near as good as theirs :)

Newbies are always welcome :-)

I'm fairly new to the sport myself and there are a few of us at seaham thats new, or returning after very long breaks.
its a very friendly and helpful club, i have had a lot of hints and advise on how to setup my car from some of the more experienced drivers

Steven Forster
14-08-2011, 12:19 PM

well you wont be left out just watching, the club have SC10 short course trucks that you can use for the day............only problem is that they are a handfull to run on the painted concrete floor :woot::woot::woot:

Sumilidon
14-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Quick check of what pieces I still have and I may have to scrap some of the older components. Seems like the receiver has finally given in (20 odd years old) and the remote has seen better days.

baD
14-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Don't worry about anyone getting narky - it ocasionally happens and they (the narky one) will get told to tone it down or leave.

As to being too slow, again no worries, you will be faster and better than some there (like me) and slower than others - heats tend to be sorted into ability.

You will enjoy it, whatever you race.

Sumilidon
14-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys, had a good time and your right, that 2wd truck is a nightmare on painted concrete.

I'll have a look and see what buggy I can find

However I forgot to write down the name of that ebay shop which was recommended. Any ideas/

Steven Forster
14-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys, had a good time and your right, that 2wd truck is a nightmare on painted concrete.

I'll have a look and see what buggy I can find

However I forgot to write down the name of that ebay shop which was recommended. Any ideas/

Cant go wrong with this buggy to start off with..........

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77891

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sumilidon
14-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I've seen another couple as well and sent some pms :)

Steven Forster
14-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I've seen another couple as well and sent some pms :)

should get yourself to newcastle tyne met college tomorrow night and see more race action 7-10pm they mainly run touring cars but they do get 4wd buggies racing aswell, also friday night at benfield school/community centre for 4wd buggy racing aswell think its 6-10pm !!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sumilidon
14-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Wish I could, but I work late on most weekdays and every Friday night

Sumilidon
15-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Any recommendations on a good brushless motor? I've sourced a good B44 chassis and as such, it's time to go hunting for the other parts.

What range of engine turns should I be looking for? Are there other aspects to be wary of?

Steven Forster
15-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Any recommendations on a good brushless motor? I've sourced a good B44 chassis and as such, it's time to go hunting for the other parts.

What range of engine turns should I be looking for? Are there other aspects to be wary of?

Im running a 6.5t motor but to be honest its a bit too fast at times for me, ive also got a B44FT and think im gonna go for an 8.5t motor as an inbetweener as a 10.5t maybe a bit too slow unless running the right gearing.............HPI flux motors seem to be good and same for the price between 50-60 depending where you get them from and rebuildable, (you dont want a sealed can) :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sumilidon
16-08-2011, 12:21 AM
Arg, the B44 may have fallen through.

Anyone have any recommendations of other 4WD chassis as well as the B44?

cmgreen
16-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi mate, whats your budget?? Dms have a cracking deal on the sx3 s1 kit, 269.99

Sumilidon
16-08-2011, 08:47 AM
second hand chassis the budget is 150 max. Starting out after all and need everything else

Steven Forster
16-08-2011, 07:17 PM
second hand chassis the budget is 150 max. Starting out after all and need everything else

Full setup for sale, might just be everything you need to get you racing..............

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78101

:D

Sumilidon
16-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Hopefully you guys can cast an eye over what I have assembled when I have all the bits together. As for that whole package one, pmed but suspect way out of overall budget

beasty boys motorsport
16-08-2011, 09:45 PM
it was out of mine, 600:o

Sumilidon
16-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Got everything I need on order, all that's needed is some good lipo saddles - every time I see some at a good price however, I get beaten too them

cmgreen
17-08-2011, 06:48 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intellect-7-4v-5000mAh-35C-Li-Po-saddle-battery-pack-/260812104403?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2118936202262294099

I would go for these

Sumilidon
18-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I got some, thanks.

That issue with my touring ca may not be the receiver - I got another one and nothing. Starting to think now it's either the transmitter or the speed controller in some way.

chris68nufc
18-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Those batteries would do me, mine have gone to the big Orion in the sky:thumbdown:

Sumilidon
21-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Ok so I may have went a little overboard.

I have bought the following and awaiting delivery for most:

B44 rolling chassis

IP 5000mah 35c saddles
Trakpower 3200mAh 20C saddles

Accucell 6 Lipo charger

Code stick tx and rx

Hobbywing EZrun 60A Brushless ESC (version 2) + program card
Hobbywing EZrun 8.5T 4000kv Motor

Cables for charging, using lipos, connectors for wires

Handful of spares for front assembly of the B44 (other than what came with the B44)

This will hopefully end up with quite a good car without the need to upgrade any time soon. The transmitter also has some nice programs and options on it.

Now the bit where I have went overboard:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220836082840?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I bought this as well, personally I am debating keeping it as a second car, or stripping it down and selling individually (although the Caster S10B Pro with the B44 diff upgrade is apparently meant to be very durable - good idea for someone returning methinks). Mainly bought it as it was such a good deal - and if I do strip it down, those electrics would go nicely into the touring car.

The standard S10B was RTR, therefore it has a hobbywing 35a esc and I suspect a 13.5T motor.

I am definitely going to need some help with setting these up by the way.

mattybucks
21-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Run the b44 and sell the caster cars and all the bits. The b44 is a far better car. If you want a second 4wd then get another b44 as you'll have one of everything for spares.

Alternatively have you thought about getting a 2wd? The b4 is a excellent car.

Sumilidon
21-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I honesty, if I was to run a second car, it would be a touring car. This is why I bought the lot - reckon I could strip off the electronics for the touring car and sell the chassis separately (or together, the parts are completely interchangeable) to recoup the cost.

But as said, the reviews of the Caster s10b pro once the diffs have been upgraded is one of a very good chassis, supposedly lighter than a B44 but considerably more durable. As I'll have the parts to run it, I may as well give it a try and see how good it is, don't expect the handling to be as good mind.

Sumilidon
22-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Well I went and picked up the 2 Casters today and I need to say - bargain!

96 in total (delivery refunded as I collected), an absolute ton of spare parts (on top of the plastic car which has 100% interchangable parts with the aluminium pro car)

Weight is virtually the same as the B44, maybe a fraction heavier. The V2 upgrades are there except for the diff gears (only 18) awaiting installation, however it has a B44 diff setup, carbide diff balls (honestly, no idea wtf this is yet).

I have stuck the RTR components in and they all work although I can't really say how fast it is without a bechmark - but I am also yet to stick in the lipos.

Definitely worth the money, and even if I stick with the B44, whoever buys it will have one hell of a chassis for the money.

Looking forward to getting the other stuff delivered and getting the B44 up and running and finally getting the chance to run them in comparison

Sumilidon
29-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Is the club on weekly by the way? The website says fortnightly but I think someone said it was weekly now.