PDA

View Full Version : Brushless advice

sim
30-01-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm looking for a brushless system for a Tamtech gear Hotshot. (Haven't got the buggy yet, but will next month).

I'm looking at Quark ProCar 22A esc and either a Hacker E30-11L, Hacker E30-13L or Aon 4900. I'm mostly running some existing 6-cell NiMH packs for now but when they retire, I'll switch to LiPos (haven't decided 2s or 3s, so I'm open to suggestions). I'm looking for something decently fast, so I can make all the big jumps, but not ridiculously fast as I still want to be able to move my throttle finger a good bit during racing. I have a mamba 6800 in my 18T which I run with 6 cells but would like a setup that's just a little bit slower maybe. What would you recommend. I mentioned the Quark, Hackers and Aon because that's what I see from rcmart.com. Is that ESC any good, anybody know? They also have an older version called the Quark Universal which I've read is not very good. Anyone know?

My main track will be indoors on carpet. It's actually a popular M-chassis track but they have some unused jump ramps there sitting by the side that I can move around. The ramps are pretty steep and linear (2 feet run-up slope, 1 foot high, 20.5 inch base) and have only ever been used in 10th scale buggy races.

Edit: Oh ya, there is also the AON 3500. Seems to have heatsinks built in, so not sure about how it would fit. Anybody tried these?

sim
30-01-2008, 07:24 AM
http://www.bigbigplanet.com/rccars/underground/underground_17.jpg
http://www.bigbigplanet.com/rccars/underground/underground_19.jpg
Some old pics of the track. It's since been made much more technical since the M-chassis scene overtook the touring cars in terms of popularity (at this track anyway).

I'm working on helping the track owners make more interesting obstacles for some indoor carpet fun.

evilbert
30-01-2008, 04:18 PM
right from my experiences of brusless in a blaze ST i would have to say that the only ESC worth looking at is the tekin mini rage, easy to use, easy to setup, wiring points for all your wiring needs. i did have the quark 33a and although it was good, the easy userfriendlyness of the tekin won me over.

as for motors i have used the aon 4900 and its ballistic. its got a slightly larger can than the mamba's so it has extra torque at lower and higher speeds, an amazing motor imo and they go forever. BUT i have found that for racing on smaller or tight tracks it just makes my driving incosistant as you dont have the low speed control.

try going for somthing around the 5400 in the small can range (mamba size)

hth

sim
31-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Thanks evilbert. That gives me a much better idea of what to expect from the motors and ESCs

julius_makewar
31-01-2008, 06:22 AM
The Hacker 13L 4200kv and 11L 5920kv would be slower than the Mamba 6800kv. I have used the Mamba and Tekin 6800kv in the M18T, RC18T, Mini-T and BG01. I have also used the Hacker 13L in the same vehicles. It has a bigger can diameter than the Mamba and Tekin motors, runs slightly slower but then it can be geared up too. Also the Mini AC motors are good. Permax and Ammo motors may be another option if they fit (these are power merchant motors). I used them in my Vendetta ST. I know nothing about the Aon motors so cant comment.

I do like the Tekin ESC but still lean toward the Mamba and Quark. If you have the money the Kontroiks ESC's can handle a lot of motor.

Personally I'd be interested in trying the 11L Quark combo if/when I get the GB03 Hotshot as I believe it is a heavier chassis than the M18T and RC18t so the bigger can motor may be better suited.

This is only MY opinion of course and not gospel. Hope this helps.
Cheers

frogger
31-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I have had several of every micro brushless controller on the market and at the moment my favourite is still the Tekin Mini Rage. The Quarks have good smooth power delivery but they are fiddly (tiny little setup button which has the annoying habbit of breaking off).

Why not wait a few weeks and get yourself the new sensored Novak Mongoose? You can pick them up from Bishop Power Products for about £70 with motor.

If you are seriously planning on racing the car indoors on carpet then I would not go for a very high KV motor. As Bill says, nothing much more than 5400kv-6800kv in small can or slower in larger can. I've used several motors (Tekin 5400, 6800, 8000, Mamba 6800, Permax 400\4D, JPerkins 4000, 4100kv and 9200kv, Wraith 7000, etc.) and now use the Align 430XL motor (3700kv) which is an outrunner. It is by far the best of the lot. As it's an outrunner motor it has more torque and so you can gear it through a massive range. It also has better low end power delivery and is the smoothest motor I have ever tried. It also runs nice and cool :)

sim
02-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'll probably try one of the hackers with my current mamba 25 esc. Need to get myself a castle link too.