PDA

View Full Version : Trouble rebuilding

Naushad
17-08-2011, 08:14 AM
Hi ppl

I'm having great trouble with dismantling the driveshafts from my DEX410.

I can't seem to get the small pins out from the wheel hubs. They seem stuck!

I've tried nudging them with a screwdriver tip but nowt - even after lubricating them.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Naushad

Big G
17-08-2011, 08:53 AM
if you used thread loc and it's now in there solid try warming it up with a flame. that'll break down the loc and it'll fall apart then.

(as with all naked flames be careful of your surroundings and remember it'll be hot afterwards.)

Naushad
17-08-2011, 09:19 AM
I'll give that a go..ta

mattr
17-08-2011, 09:38 AM
If you need more precise application of heat, use a soldering iron and touch it to the tip of the pin.

(clean all the solder off it first!)

acorn28
17-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Just about to build my DEX410R, is it best not to bother with threadlock on the pins, or is it essential to keep them in place? Cheers, Rich.

Naushad
17-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Judging by how difficult I am finding it to remove the stuff I wouldn't bother with thread lock. It's so tightly jammed. I'm trying to use a soldering iron at the moment ...

coleman758
17-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Why do you need to take the pins out?

Last thing you need is a pin coming out why your racing. Especially the mid-rear shaft, as the pin can go through your lipo.

I think the best thing to do is make sure that pin doesn't come out!
you can still get grease in there if you want to.

snook
17-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Why do you need to take the pins out?

I think he's having trouble with the hex-pins not the ones that are in the driveshafts. i could be wrong...

but anyway these wheel-hex-pins can be tricky to remove, had to do that last weekend. i managed to get the little pin off with my pocketlight and a pair of pliers. i now only put a little drop of blue threadlock in there. i hope this helps for the next rebuild.

Big G
17-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I've found a pair of very pointy nosed pliers lets you press enough out to grab with snips. Originally my DEX410 ones fell out a lot so I popped a tiny drop of treadloc on which holds them snug now although they can be removed easily

coleman758
17-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Ahhh right sorry my bad,

As for the outer hex pin, don't just put it out one way, move it back and forth a few times. I used "Needle Nose" mole grips on mine.

Or get the Hex in some grips/vice of some sort. Then use a small hex driver and just tap them out.

Stu
17-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Acetone will dissolve threadlock.

coleman758
17-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Acetone will dissolve threadlock.

But you would have to put the hub in the acetone?
that would melt the plastic, it could even effect the bearings?

Naushad
17-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I have just looked at the recent posting!

It's the wheel Hex pins and they are a bugger to get off!

I'm rebuilding cos there loads of dirt!

I used heat..soften the thread lock.

Then I used pliers to push the pins through...needed some force but worked like a treat!

The last owner must have dipped the parts in thread lock. It was solid!

Anyway, I'll be using much less!