PDA

View Full Version : Fair Fuel Prices

RickRick
19-08-2011, 10:41 AM
reposted from another forum

Fair Fuel Petition - Please Sign

Hi,

I think you will agree with me and others that in this country we are paying far too much for the fuel in our cars. In fact on average most people are paying around 10% of their salary just to fill their cars up every week. The Fair Fuel UK Campaign are doing all they can to get this Government to lower fuel prices. They have set up an e-petition to have a full debate in Parliament regarding the high fuel prices here in the UK.

They rapidly need 100,000 signatures to make this debate happen to try to get the Government to reduce fuel prices by cutting fuel duty. In just 12 hours they got 4,000 signatures overnight but, with your help they need more.

Please sign the e-petition straight away and will you please forward this e-mail to as many of your friends, club members or anyone else you can think of to sign the petition. If you just click on this link it will take you straight to the e-petition.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/347 (http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/347)

Many thanks for your time and together we can hope to lower the high fuel prices we are seeing now.

Kind Regards

Big G
19-08-2011, 11:03 AM
signed.

Dave Dodd
19-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Signed.

Ash. signed too

Robocop
19-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Done

Jamie.T
19-08-2011, 12:13 PM
I also signed, lets hope this petition counts for something.

JBL
19-08-2011, 12:43 PM
I have also signed, lets hope it makes a difference....

wacattack
19-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Apologies if I sound cynical, but I have never once seen a favourable outcome from these petitions. I've signed it anyway but I'm beginnig to think more and more what's the point

andys
19-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Apologies if I sound cynical, but I have never once seen a favourable outcome from these petitions. I've signed it anyway but I'm beginnig to think more and more what's the point

Agreed.

But, that's the problem with everything in this shit hole of a country. The silent majority are just that.. silent. We get royally shafted at every turn and don't do a bloody thing.

I think the 'silent majority' should riot, I don't think it will be long before there is widespread civil unrest in this country from the honest working classes, not just the scumbags, we are being pushed to breaking point and one day we will all snap !

Personally i'd happily emigrate, but the rest of my family won't....

c0sie
19-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Agreed.

But, that's the problem with everything in this shit hole of a country. The silent majority are just that.. silent. We get royally shafted at every turn and don't do a bloody thing.

I think the 'silent majority' should riot, I don't think it will be long before there is widespread civil unrest in this country from the honest working classes, not just the scumbags, we are being pushed to breaking point and one day we will all snap !

Personally i'd happily emigrate, but the rest of my family won't....

+1

We are a Nation of moaners, who moan and bitch but never do f'k all to try and fix the issues.

We are on the brink of another recession, standing on the shoulders of a youth culture brought up in a world where Word's spellchecker rules the educational roost, where doing sod all in class is considered cool as is slagging of the educational system for "failing you".

We are led by a £65k per year government who dont feel the pinch in the way that "average Joe" does thanks to their expenses claims who then wonder why the UK is a little pissed off as a Nation.

I remember the first round of fuel strikes circa 2001? I remember the chaos it caused and I remember the slashes the government made to fuel duty.

I read in the news a few days about that electricity and gas is set to rise by another 8%, yet all we ever seem to read about is profits from the major retailers every quarter.

Without doubt these are shit times to be living in this world, and it aint going to get any better for a long long long long time.

The Chef
19-08-2011, 03:12 PM
+1

We are a Nation of moaners, who moan and bitch but never do f'k all to try and fix the issues.

We are on the brink of another recession, standing on the shoulders of a youth culture brought up in a world where Word's spellchecker rules the educational roost, where doing sod all in class is considered cool as is slagging of the educational system for "failing you".

We are led by a £65k per year government who dont feel the pinch in the way that "average Joe" does thanks to their expenses claims who then wonder why the UK is a little pissed off as a Nation.

I remember the first round of fuel strikes circa 2001? I remember the chaos it caused and I remember the slashes the government made to fuel duty.

I read in the news a few days about that electricity and gas is set to rise by another 8%, yet all we ever seem to read about is profits from the major retailers every quarter.

Without doubt these are shit times to be living in this world, and it aint going to get any better for a long long long long time.

What he said,

The funny thing was that when the fuel strike was on everyone waited patiently and got on with it. Even thought there were huge ques and long waits.

Signed

c0sie
19-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I really dislike living in this country, but also really dislike remember about how it used to be around 75p a litre for fuel around 1998.

When me and my ex got together in late 2008 it would cost her £30 dead to fill her car up. By the time we split up earlier this year she was hitting £41 easily and getting ever closer to £42. £12 increase in 2.5 years.

The trouble is we cant all up sticks and move abroad, look at the rest of Europe, the US, Ireland and the rest of that Eurozone rubbish. Everywhere you look its seemingly the same and if he do enter another recession even more jobs are going to be lost.

Its a shitty situation..

Big G
19-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I was working in a petrol station at the time and the boss said after it was all over "we should of put the price up 10p/litre" he was a fucking twat through and through.

Andrew Twigger
19-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Signed.

Bastard Government.

BenStephenson
19-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Signed:thumbsup:

kaszal
19-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Me too, done.

deano261
19-08-2011, 05:55 PM
signed

SlowOne
19-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Not signed. It costs £600m a year to run this country. If you take tax off fuel prices it will turn up somewhere else. I have a choice whether to buy fuel or not, and what car to run to pay fuel for. I do not have a choice about most other taxes. I don't won't to pay more income tax, I want my income so I have a choice where to spend it.

Of those who want to sort this country out, how many voted? Only 63% of people in this country bothered to vote at the last election. The Government was elected with only 35% of that vote. If everyone else had voted, it is not very likely this lot would be in power. If we had a proper voting system then we would have a Government that represented our proportion of votes, but only 42% of people bothered to vote in the last referendum. I'd gladly accept that we need to do something more pro-active if only people had used the system that was available to them, but no! People, as has been said, can't be a***d.

I remember when fuel was 25p a GALLON, and when I started driving it was 26p a litre.

I'm with C0sie - where else are you going to live that's any better?

wacattack
19-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Not signed. It costs £600m a year to run this country.

It costs a hell of a lot more than that to run the country!

If you take tax off fuel prices it will turn up somewhere else. I have a choice whether to buy fuel or not, and what car to run to pay fuel for. I do not have a choice about most other taxes. I don't won't to pay more income tax, I want my income so I have a choice where to spend it.

What labour was trying to dp before it got ousted from power was to encourage people to spend more. If people spent more, business would make more money. The more money they make the more successful they are the more successful they become. The more successful they become the more opportunities there are for everyone.

By charging people less on taxes you actually encourage people to spend more. Increasing taxes is short term thinking, particulalry when the economy is as it is and has no long term benefit to the overall economy. The better the economy, the more money the country will have long term

I'm with C0sie - where else are you going to live that's any better?

Australia

SlowOne
19-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Ooops - It's £600bn... :embarassed:

Ahhh... trickle-down economics, born under Thatcher and Reagan in the 1980s, already disowned by Thatcher personally, and proven by many good researchers in the US and the UK to be a crock. Labour did indeed do as you suggest, and we did all benefit from the expanding economy, but parties on both sides of the house agree now that the people who earn a lot have to pay a lot for the country - Labour brought in the 50% tax rate and the Tories are keeping it!

If it costs £600bn to run the country, and then you get less money because people aren't in work, there is no option to reduce taxes. Presently we are increasing borrowing, and the interest rates will have to be paid for for years to come, making it even less likely that taxes can come down. The argument is simplistic - if you want to offer lower taxes you have to cut spending. As that must eventually mean sacking people, then you have even less people paying taxes to run the country. This argument about lowering taxes has lamentably failed for the last 40 years - every country that tries it has to abandon it.

Australia - 30%+ to 50%+ income tax rates, no NHS, dentists and ambulance fees extra, massive immigration issues, strong trades unions, large Government debt and expensive housing in urban areas. Awesome country for a tourist, not my choice to live in. Send me photos of Sydney when you get there - my favourite city of any in the world. :thumbsup:

wacattack
19-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Ooops - It's £600bn... :embarassed:

Ahhh... trickle-down economics, born under Thatcher and Reagan in the 1980s, already disowned by Thatcher personally, and proven by many good researchers in the US and the UK to be a crock. Labour did indeed do as you suggest, and we did all benefit from the expanding economy, but parties on both sides of the house agree now that the people who earn a lot have to pay a lot for the country - Labour brought in the 50% tax rate and the Tories are keeping it!

If it costs £600bn to run the country, and then you get less money because people aren't in work, there is no option to reduce taxes. Presently we are increasing borrowing, and the interest rates will have to be paid for for years to come, making it even less likely that taxes can come down. The argument is simplistic - if you want to offer lower taxes you have to cut spending. As that must eventually mean sacking people, then you have even less people paying taxes to run the country. This argument about lowering taxes has lamentably failed for the last 40 years - every country that tries it has to abandon it.

Australia - 30%+ to 50%+ income tax rates, no NHS, dentists and ambulance fees extra, massive immigration issues, strong trades unions, large Government debt and expensive housing in urban areas. Awesome country for a tourist, not my choice to live in. Send me photos of Sydney when you get there - my favourite city of any in the world. :thumbsup:

I'm not talking all taxes, I mean the ones that affect the average person. I'm all for increasing tax rates for the high earners and totally support a 50% tax bracket. Heck, I'd be prepared to be one of those paying 50%

As for Australia, 2 of my mates both moved to Australia and absolutely love it. Far greater quality of life with more positives outweighing the negatives. If my wife and I weren't so close to our families we'd have moved there years ago

Col
19-08-2011, 09:43 PM
If my wife and I weren't so close to our families we'd have moved there years ago

You actually like Craig?:thumbsup:

wacattack
19-08-2011, 10:30 PM
You actually like Craig?:thumbsup:

I mean "blood" family. Not someone my mum n dad found by the side of the road :p

FastWheels
20-08-2011, 01:48 AM
a sign from me as well !

shaun m
20-08-2011, 07:17 PM
ive just signed aswell :thumbsup: . it really pisses me off with the fuel prices , im doing about 180 miles a week , just going to work and to my local track on sundays etc , and now im having to sell my car (a car i wanted , rather than a car i have to get to live/survive a bit easyer ) , and have had to sell all my rc cars except 2 , and alot of my garage equiptment id gathered over the last few years :thumbdown:

pesonally im thinking if we ( as the soo called great britain ) dont let all the imigrants in to the uk and give em citizenship ,and get all the lazy b'stards out working for they're doll money ....

c0sie
20-08-2011, 07:23 PM
As much as I dont agree with looking after others before looking after ourselves, I would hazard a guess that most of the lazy fucks on the unemployment list were white British-born scum and not foreigners.

shaun m
20-08-2011, 07:43 PM
As much as I dont agree with looking after others before looking after ourselves, I would hazard a guess that most of the lazy fucks on the unemployment list were white British-born scum and not foreigners.
yeah i meant the white british born scum , out doing something for theyre money

andys
20-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Fuel prices are just one part of the misery of honest working folk these days.

Getting a mortgage - if you can afford one.
Getting car insurance - that's a bloody laugh.
Shopping at tesco, food prices are through the roof.
Electric and Gas bills just keep increasing.
30 to 40k Debt for university students.

And the kicker is wages are pretty much what they were a decade ago. Salaries just have not risen to keep pace in most industries.

We / or rather the current generation are in for one he'll of a ride. I really worry for my kids, as it's going to be incredibly tough.

DragonRider
20-08-2011, 08:47 PM
As an HGV Driver by trade as well as myself suffering with high fuel costs to get too and from work I also see it hurting my employer which eventually may have a knock on effect to my employment.

Does the goverment not realise that everything in life at some point is moved by a Lorry or Van.

Signed and hoping this can go somewhere.

Mark

Jedi Master
21-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Sign, and posted on Facebook.......

Si Coe
21-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Rather than reducing fuel duty (which is just another tax and will get taken off us elsewhere) what needs to be done is some reigning in of the price gouging done by the oil companies.
The price of crude has risen, but the price at the pump rises a lot faster. When the price of crude falls, pump prices don't. If the Government slashed off 10p of tax on a litre, the price at the pump would only fall 8p.
The oil industry makes insane profits, and basically buys itself political safety. Hell - they had the clout to initiate 2 wars in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, which cunningly the tax payer actually foots the bill for.

Unfortunately fuel tax in the UK hides their antics somewhat compared to other countries. The oil companies tend to blame high prices on tax, yet still make literally billions in profit!

bodgit
21-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Rather than reducing fuel duty (which is just another tax and will get taken off us elsewhere) what needs to be done is some reigning in of the price gouging done by the oil companies.
The price of crude has risen, but the price at the pump rises a lot faster. When the price of crude falls, pump prices don't. If the Government slashed off 10p of tax on a litre, the price at the pump would only fall 8p.
The oil industry makes insane profits, and basically buys itself political safety. Hell - they had the clout to initiate 2 wars in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, which cunningly the tax payer actually foots the bill for.

Unfortunately fuel tax in the UK hides their antics somewhat compared to other countries. The oil companies tend to blame high prices on tax, yet still make literally billions in profit!

The goverment are charging £3.83 tax on every gallon you buy. Thats £2 more than the companies who have to produce it. On top of this they tax the company who make it, the workers who produce it, the tanker driver who delivers it and then the garges who sell it.
The goverment are the ones making billions for doing sfa. I personally do not begrudge the profits the oil companies make, its the profits the goverment makes that gets my back up.

daz
21-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Im not gonna even waste my time signing the petition. This goverment will never make a significant enough tax reduction to make a difference. And even if they did, they would only add it on to something else. This country and most of the worlds economy is f****d, and it wont get any better for along time. I was spending well over £200 a month on fuel for a 20 mile a day commute and a bit of social driving, but decided enough is enough and changed my life style and now spend less than a quarter of that now.

bodgit
21-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Im not gonna even waste my time signing the petition. This goverment will never make a significant enough tax reduction to make a difference. And even if they did, they would only add it on to something else. This country and most of the worlds economy is f****d, and it wont get any better for along time. I was spending well over £200 a month on fuel for a 20 mile a day commute and a bit of social driving, but decided enough is enough and changed my life style and now spend less than a quarter of that now.

Have you quit your job and signed on :lol:

daz
21-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Have you quit your job and signed on :lol:
Nearly, your'e not entitled to sign on if you quit your work, so I decided to go to work naked for a few days and growling like a dog to all the staff until my bosses decided i was insane. Spent a few weeks in a metal hospice, now my wife gets paid for being my carer and everything else comes out of the tax payers pocket to pay for my re-abilitation and accomadation.

SlowOne
21-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Fuel prices are just one part of the misery of honest working folk these days.

Getting a mortgage - if you can afford one.
Getting car insurance - that's a bloody laugh.
Shopping at tesco, food prices are through the roof.
Electric and Gas bills just keep increasing.
30 to 40k Debt for university students.

And the kicker is wages are pretty much what they were a decade ago. Salaries just have not risen to keep pace in most industries.

We / or rather the current generation are in for one he'll of a ride. I really worry for my kids, as it's going to be incredibly tough.That is pretty much an exact description of life in the 1960s, except you can knock a nought off the Uni costs, and a nought off the average wage, and it was mainly Sainsbury's in those days. Tesco was to shopping what Lidl and Aldi are today - cheap and about 3% market share. Despite 50 years of so-called progress and technology, things haven't changed much at all, and aren't likely to in the next 50 years. This is capitalism, and this is how it works when it is run by right-wingers. Thatcher and Blair tried to change it - didn't work!

Unfortunately fuel tax in the UK hides their antics somewhat compared to other countries. The oil companies tend to blame high prices on tax, yet still make literally billions in profit!Oil companies make large numerical profits, but as an investment they aren't very good. Your pension and savings are invested in oil companies because they have always made a steady income and are relatively safe. As an individual investor, they don't make much money at all, and very little capital appreciation above the market trends. Lot's of noughts once again, but poor businesses for the investor.

The goverment are charging £3.83 tax on every gallon you buy. Thats £2 more than the companies who have to produce it. On top of this they tax the company who make it, the workers who produce it, the tanker driver who delivers it and then the garges who sell it.
The goverment are the ones making billions for doing sfa. I personally do not begrudge the profits the oil companies make, its the profits the goverment makes that gets my back up.Government profits? You're kidding, right? They've made so many losses we now owe £950bn as a country to others, which is costing us £43bn a year in interest. Within four years, it will be double that, 9p in every £ of tax collected, and more than it costs to run the NHS. Government profits? If only... :D

Nearly, your'e not entitled to sign on if you quit your work, so I decided to go to work naked for a few days and growling like a dog to all the staff until my bosses decided i was insane. Spent a few weeks in a metal hospice, now my wife gets paid for being my carer and everything else comes out of the tax payers pocket to pay for my re-abilitation and accomadation.Brilliant! Wonderful summary of how the system just does not work at all for people who pay in honestly and straightforwardly, but with a little deviousness... :thumbsup:

SlowOne
26-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Si and others, I thought this might be of interest. The first link is A diagram showING where all the money goes. Although it is out of date in terms of numbers, the proportions are still the same. The second one gives you the 2012/13 numbers - £700bn!!

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2008/09/12/13.09.08.Public.spending.pdf

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/

Try and go through that and decide what you wouldn't pay any more. Factor in the dole for the thousands you wouldn't employ in those Governmant departments any more, and that for every penny you want off income tax, you need to cut spending by about £10bn. One rule; you cannot cut anything in these three areas (those we as citizens cannot do locally or alone) which are the essence of what Government is for - defend the Realm, defend the currency, maintain Law and Order. Almost everything else we could, as citizens, sort out or pay for ourselves.

Look also at the amounts spent on housing the pregnant teenage mother as against the amount spent on pensions, or on Scotland. As it shows, the traditional targets for abuse are actually those taking the least amount of our money!

I hope that letting a few facts get in the way of a good story might be useful!!

PS - here's how the proportion of the Government's income is made up - has anyone ever heard of an Aggregates Levy?!! :wtf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_the_United_Kingdom