PDA

View Full Version : DEX410 Dual Battery Straps

noel7304
22-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Can someone help me convert my single battery strap on my DEX410 to a dual battery strap setup similar to the Team Associated B44.1? I am using 2S Lipo’s in my DEX410 and the existing setup keeps bouncing up and bending my rear drive shaft. Recently I have seen the conversion on YouTube where some DEX410 owners have a dual strap conversion, and I think it would help prevent more bent drive shafts as well as not having to pull the spur gear every time I have to remove and install the batteries. Preferably I would like to use carbon fiber straps with the thumb screws similar to the B44.1 although I notice that the batteries in the B44.1 are mounted length wise and not mounted sideways as is the DEX410 battery layout. So a figure that the straps from the B44.1 maybe too short. Can you provide the parts list and some general instruction on how to go about the installation?

RC John
22-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Even if the batteries were mounted using 2 straps, you would still need to remove the spur gear to change the batteries since the spur is connected to the rear drive shaft and that sits over the batteries.

I've never bent a drive shaft but I assume it's happening because the middle area of the strap can flex and allow the battery to come up. I would suggest tapping the two saddle packs together so they can't flex in the middle. I taped my packs from the beginning because I didn't want them moving around so much.

ghostdogg
22-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Are you using the pin to hold the strap down?
I used some thick doublesided tape (Dont remove the sticky cover) between the batteries this prevents them moving around.
Have you changed the height of the battery strap to hold your batteries fully down?

Big G
22-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I find it hard to believe the batteries can move to the extent of bending the driftshaft. Mine are really snug under the strap.

The only way you'd be able to change batteries without removing the spur (or lifting it up like I do without complete removal) is to mod the side pod ilke they did in the York 24hr race so the batteries can be slid in and out.

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/ebor2010/DSC_1525.jpg

noel7304
22-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I plan on installating the batteries in and out like this person in this video clip. Just need to strap in the batteries some how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppvQCE8etI4

noel7304
22-08-2011, 06:54 PM
I like the pod modification idea although I have the metal side pods. I was going to put the batteries in and out like this person does in this video clip. He is just missing the battery straps to hold in the batteries after sliding them in and out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppvQCE8etI4

Big G
22-08-2011, 07:58 PM
The lipo in the video aren't very big compared to mine... Defo not 25mm

dpackster1980
22-08-2011, 08:13 PM
I cut mine down the middle so it's got a channel for the driveshaft to run down. It doesn't cost a penny. :thumbsup:

The only problem is I did this after the pressure caused excessive wear on the cv joint on the kit driveshaft and I don't dare post a pic of what it did to my Tresery driveshaft!! :cry:

My wasn't straight out of the box, I should've got the wife's hair dryer and warmed it up and bent it the other way before a built the car. Anyone got a time machine? :bored:

ridgeracer
22-08-2011, 08:26 PM
The lipo in the video aren't very big compared to mine... Defo not 25mm

I can slide my Intellect 5400mahs in and out like on the vid..

Andyp
22-08-2011, 08:29 PM
I cut mine down the middle so it's got a channel for the driveshaft to run down. It doesn't cost a penny. :thumbsup:

The only problem is I did this after the pressure caused excessive wear on the cv joint on the kit driveshaft and I don't dare post a pic of what it did to my Tresery driveshaft!! :cry:

My wasn't straight out of the box, I should've got the wife's hair dryer and warmed it up and bent it the other way before a built the car. Anyone got a time machine? :bored:

Advise from a champ .....

Really tho Fiberlyte do two carbon straps , you have to drill a couple of holes in the chassis and find a couple of posts to go under. I used this on my 09 durango as the kit strap was lower than the 10 model, as people said you still had to remove the spur .

http://www.oople.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=563&pictureid=3364

Can't post a pic as I'm on me phone but the link should work .

captainlip
22-08-2011, 08:36 PM
atomic carbon strap and brass posts can be modded to the rango just need to drill the chassis. not something id do myself though.

kartstuffer
22-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Just fit one of the losi 22 short batteries and you wont get any flex , you can also move it up or down for weight distribution!!:thumbsup:

hottuna
23-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Just fit one of the losi 22 short batteries and you wont get any flex , you can also move it up or down for weight distribution!!:thumbsup:
What you mean with move it up or down? I've raced with the short Losi stick pack in the 410. It's a really tight fit. Once installed, you can't move it a mm in any direction.
Besides that it's really on the edge of power. Both mine have taken big abuse from the 4wd power consumtion. I'm back to saddle now.

noel7304
24-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey Andyp,

This is excatly what I wanted to do.:thumbsup: It appears that you got longer screws for the rear bulkhead and like you said some posts for the front. What car or where did you get those carbon fiber battery straps from?

Andyp
24-08-2011, 08:23 PM
The straps I got from www.fibre-lyte.co.uk. , yeah you are correct I had to put some longer screws for the rear , I also had to put a small spacer where the old nut went . As for the front I think I used some post from a tamiya f1, I just had them lying around . I know some one who also had these who used b44 posts and thumb screws. Hope this helps , let me know if you want any more info .

Northy
25-08-2011, 07:56 AM
I could make the battery strap kit available from the 410 Ultra if there was enough interest.

CF Strap
3 brass posts
3 screws and washers

You'd have to use the strap as a template to drill the hole for the front post though.

G

captainlip
25-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Id want something that doesnt involve drilling holes.

ive a simple idea to do this but would need to mock up the idea.