PDA

View Full Version : Servo Saver...

HVAC25000
01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
In the past week I've had some horrific crashes with my new BJ4. My metal geared servo is developing a little play, assumedly thanks to the 1,000 cartwheels I did this week. Pretty soon something is going to give because right now nothing gives. I tried a Kimbrough, but just as I expected, it's a pos. I can practically blow air at it and have it flop over. Are there any servo savers out there that actually work?

Thanks guys
Chris

sosidge
01-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I'll open a can of worms here and say that I like the Tamiya High-Torque servo saver.

As far as I can tell it is strong enough to track correctly and hopefully protect the servo mechanism (although I did break the sacrificial gear in my servo a few weeks ago, the saver didn't protect it that time :( )

HVAC25000
01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
This one?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=50473

sosidge
01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Yes, although it is more common nowadays in black #51000

bigred5765
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
servo savers are for girls
gears cost less than a servo saver
and give you a good excuse for not doing well

HVAC25000
01-02-2008, 11:47 PM
servo savers are for girls
gears cost less than a servo saver
and give you a good excuse for not doing well

That's the dumbest thing I've heard this week, maybe this month.

First off, the gear set for my servo costs 17 dollars. The Tamiya saver is 9. Congrats on being right on that one. :thumbsup:

Second, The servo saver will save the servo countless times, but each time a gear breaks, it's going to cost me 17 dollars, so 17, then 34, then 51, then 68, then 85 by which time it's the cost of a whole new servo, while I could have spent 9 on a saver. :thumbsup:

Third, given a choice between crashing in turn one and breaking my servo and being out of the race with no chance of finishing, or using a saver and finishing the race, I'm going to choose to finish. Wanna race? 10-1 says you break and I finish ahead of you. That is, unless you're racing stock or something and don't go fast enough to break, but I'm running a 5.5r and my car scoots. :thumbsup:

Fourth, the whole point of this thread, in case you couldn't tell, is to find a servo saver that doesn't lower the performance of the car. For a servo saver to work in a 4wd buggy, it just has to be stronger/stiffer than a cheap kimbrough one. A stronger/stiffer servo saver will not lower performance and will not be an excuse for not doing well :thumbsup:

These are all very simple concepts, and I hope you enjoyed this discussion as much as I did. :thumbsup:

If servo savers are for girls, it's only because they're smarter than you and want to finish the race. :thumbsup:

:lol:

Micha_MX4
02-02-2008, 12:01 AM
:lol:

didn't know the BJ4 has no in-built-saver (have to read Jimmy's review
again...) - my BX has astonishing 2 of them ???

and yes I tried once a Kimbrough saver (I think, their strongest (red?)
and it was way to soft for any car) I then used one out of my Lazer-ZX

ashleyb4
02-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Use a plastic servo horn so then it will just flex.

A