PDA

View Full Version : 410 Rear Wheel striped.

old-man
30-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I have stripped a few wheels and this is annoying. I have stripped both the TD rand Rulux rear wheels. Not sure where the problem is. Anyone had similar problem and how did you fix this.

Thanks.

Hulk
30-08-2011, 04:14 PM
What roll pins are you using?

If the roll pins are too short then this adds more pressure on the wheel, causing them to strip.

Big G
30-08-2011, 04:34 PM
not the kit ones at a guess since the kit pins are slightly too long to fit in rulux wheels

if the pin snaps it does murder the wheel unfortunately

jkclifford
30-08-2011, 05:47 PM
check for excessive play in outdrive, driveshafts and propshafts.

Pin and wheel is the last point for all the "smack" to be absorbed.

Possibly slacken the clutch a sniff too.

old-man
31-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the feed back.

The pins are shortened to 12mm to fit the Rulux wheels and have loosened the slipper quite a bit from stock, but still the same problem. The kit is about a month old, so there is little play of the drive train. :cry:

Rebelrc
31-08-2011, 06:54 AM
There must be a spacing problem of some sorts on the rear stub axles
Check manual first then check you have correct crunch spacers etc
Sounds like wheel is not locating hard against the spacer/backplate gold thing, and there for when wheel is tightened it is adding shear stress to the pins
Hope this helps, let us know
Cheers
Scott:)

jkclifford
31-08-2011, 08:35 AM
are you breaking the pins?

jaffacake
31-08-2011, 09:37 AM
My new kit (not used yet) has quite a bit of float between the rear inner hub bearing and axle,will need shimming i reckon,aparantly not uncommon.

What axle pins are people using? i did read 'somewhere' not the Durango pins

Rebelrc
31-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Pin problems were with very early kits non r's but pins are all good now I think. The way to tell is the early ones didn't completely fill the wheel slot the good later ones fit fully and are strong
Hope this helps

Piman
31-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I also had this problem when I put short pins in to fit Tamiya wheels. If you use the Durango pins with the Durango wheels then there is no issue.

James

old-man
31-08-2011, 11:35 AM
are you breaking the pins?

No, the pins are fine.

old-man
31-08-2011, 11:39 AM
There must be a spacing problem of some sorts on the rear stub axles
Check manual first then check you have correct crunch spacers etc
Sounds like wheel is not locating hard against the spacer/backplate gold thing, and there for when wheel is tightened it is adding shear stress to the pins
Hope this helps, let us know
Cheers
Scott:)

Possibly, there is a gap of approximately .5mm between the pin and the spacer/backing. A check on how deep the pin will go into the Rulux wheel, there is only a clearance of approx. .2mm. Which means the pins are driven hard against the bottom of the slot on the wheel.

I have added some shims now to reduce the gap. See how it goes. Worst case is to go back to TD wheels. Shame, I have quite a few new sets of Rulux wheels from my B44.1. :(

JohnM
31-08-2011, 02:20 PM
Worst case is to go back to TD wheels. Shame, I have quite a few new sets of Rulux wheels from my B44.1. :(

It's probably better to go back to the Durango wheels anyway, the Rulux wheels have a different off set that makes the car feel nasty to drive.

sime46
31-08-2011, 03:55 PM
I donty mean to come across as patronising.....but, tighten the wheels a bit more. I ruined a couple of rear wheels and was talking to someone from the team about it. They suggested I tightened the rears more. I was always concerned that I'd wreck them if I overdid it. I tightened them more than I normally had done prior and no more problems. As said on here before check the shimming ect but deffo tighten them a bit more. Mine was faultless after taking this advice.

telboy
31-08-2011, 07:23 PM
check bearings too.
When I had mine, i kept stripping rears, was told to look at the bearings and one was knackered. as soon as i changed it everything was fine. also changed the crunch spacers too.

Kiixx
17-09-2011, 09:15 AM
I run TLR 22 rearwheel hexes on my Durango, and then uses the TLR wheels all over, working perfectly :thumbsup:

AndyG
17-09-2011, 09:31 AM
If you are shortening the kit roll pins to fit rulux wheels then that might be the issue.

I run rulux wheels on my 410, and use shorter roll pins I got from Northy ... Think they might be Cat Sx ones. Whilst they have bent a little bit with wheel tightening, I have had no issues .... At least in this area !