PDA

View Full Version : HELP !! TC handling problem !!

tonymong
08-09-2011, 09:54 AM
hi all,

ive been off the track for around 6 weeks while my wife brought a new person into the world. so i took the oppotunitly to complete a ground up rebuild on my TC.

however upon returning to the track on saturday gone the car was behaving VERY strangly with no obvious signs of fault.

the car was put back to a basic setup and all seemed well but had 0 rear end low speed traction, on or off power the rear would break away

however on the longer high speed bends the problem was not so evident.

even to the point where i was using full additive on the rear and non on the front the problem persisted

i tried a few things and had a few peeps look at it and no-one could come up anything there and then

the car is a corally RDX PHI and was raced on carpet with jaco foams

basic setup inc, 40wt frt and 30wt rr oils no roll bars etc

ive run this a few times before and never experienced anything of the like

any help would be fabulous

many thanx

tony

DCM
08-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Rear droop not enough?

tonymong
08-09-2011, 10:00 AM
yeh that was suggested and altered,

thanx tho

Lazer zx-r
08-09-2011, 10:01 AM
how are the difs tightend?
should be harder in front than in the back.

i would try to tighten the front diff first.

tonymong
08-09-2011, 10:03 AM
sorry should have said soild spool in the front and (quite proud of myself) good diff in the back

many thanx

stoff
08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Did you try a different set of foams?

I'd be inclined to say that as you've not raced for a while the foams may have dried out. Unless of course you've kept them in a sealed bag.

chris_dono
08-09-2011, 10:45 AM
have you checked:

you don't have a bent hingepin
tweak-free
no binding in the suspension anywhere
droop same left/right

tonymong
08-09-2011, 11:04 AM
yeh i thought about dry foams before i got there and so they were treated the day before to wet them up as it were,

as for suspension, defo no binding and yep the droop the same.

and im 'pretty' sure the hingepins are ok but will have to check them thanx

but tweak !! ?? lost me there im afraid, that sounds it needs some looking into

glad its not an easy answer tho

thanx all so far

tony

chris_dono
08-09-2011, 11:07 AM
to check if it's tweaked..

take the wheels off and place the chassis on a flat surface

Hold down the middle of the front shock tower and press on each corner of the rear (then vice versa) If there's any movement, something is tweaked somewhere, the usual reasons are bulkhead/top deck twisted, so loosen all the screws off and tighten whilst pressing the shock towers down.

RDG 40
08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
what kinda problems can a tweaked chassis give? Just done this and its made a big difference on the flat surface

stoff
08-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Many, many horrible things as it inbalances the whole car. You should check it every few runs, more if you tend to hit the barriers!

ch!3f
08-09-2011, 10:46 PM
have you changed shells?i had similar problems when i changed mine just didnt get the rear down force from the new shell

teamorsum96
09-09-2011, 10:19 AM
have you changed shells?i had similar problems when i changed mine just didnt get the rear down force from the new shell

you mean you couldt dirve with that shell lol

teamorsum96
09-09-2011, 10:20 AM
any help would be fabulous

many thanx

tony

could it be fella your just abit rusty?

chris_dono
09-09-2011, 10:43 AM
what kinda problems can a tweaked chassis give? Just done this and its made a big difference on the flat surface

Lots of bad stuff :)

The most common is turning one way more than the other, but i've also had the car 'crab' in a straight line when tweaked. Some cars need it checked every run, but it's good to check it now and again

ch!3f
09-09-2011, 10:43 AM
you mean you couldt dirve with that shell lol

im used to touring car shells with plenty of down force and used a lotus shell (came with a car i bought n needed a shell to race with so used that)had no rear down force what so eva so had to bodge the wing so it looked like this \ lol

tonymong
09-09-2011, 11:21 AM
lol

thanx for the input guys plenty for me to play with,

chief .... spookyly enough i had just changed shells..... but the loss of traction only comes in the slower sections (it seems) so wouldnt have thought downforce would play a part from before the rebuild

thanx

tony

ch!3f
09-09-2011, 01:09 PM
lol

thanx for the input guys plenty for me to play with,

chief .... spookyly enough i had just changed shells..... but the loss of traction only comes in the slower sections (it seems) so wouldnt have thought downforce would play a part from before the rebuild

thanx

tony

thats exactly what happened to me i just didnt have the down force to keep my speed thru a corner hence loosing the back end and even on the straight it would skip about till i adjusted the rear wing!

sosidge
09-09-2011, 01:54 PM
The clue here is that the car was OK before you rebuilt it... clearly something has been changed (body?) or assembled incorrectly and that is what is causing the problem.

Take it apart, rebuild again carefully and revert to the original settings. Pay extra attention to the free movement of moving parts. Use the manual.

Big paul
16-09-2011, 09:11 PM
did you rebuild the shocks.if so are they all the same length did you put same oil or different oil front to back .If the latter did you put them on the right.It may sound daft but easily to mix them up.

tonymong
20-09-2011, 10:04 AM
hi all thanx for all the input.

well after very carfully tear down (again) and rebuild ive noticed a HUGE longditudinal crack right through the chassis !!!

yep that will do it !!!

so got a new one and cant wait to see how much better it is... kinda hope its been like that for a while and has been causing probs for ages...
that way i should see a HUGE improvment

many thanx again

tony