PDA

View Full Version : Dell Warranty.

Chequered Flag Racing
16-09-2011, 11:56 AM
£90 to insure for 2 more years on the 3 year old laptop. They'll fix it or replace if they can't fix it. Is it worth it?

Andrew Twigger
16-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Assuming you don't abuse it, the most likely failures you're going to get are the hard drive and the battery. Screen and mother board are less likely, but possibilities.

When you buy a new battery they will cover you for 1 year usually and so I would very much doubt if Dell would cover you if/when your battery becomes unuseable. In which case you would need to shell out for one anyway. A proper Dell one will be about £90. Obviously there are cheaper alternatives which are invariably lower quality, but that would be down to you.

A new hard drive will cost you as little as £20-£30 for probably a higher capacity than you have if one were to fail, it's just whether you/someone you know can replace it and then install Windows and your drivers etc - assuming you have the original CD(s). I recently charged someone £80 to replace their hard drive and re-install Windows etc. PC world would try to find the biggest object to shove up your...I think you get the picture.

If the screen or motherboard were to fail then you could well have your £90 right there, probably more if you can't fit them yourself.

It really depends on the spec you have and what it would cost to buy a new one. Personally, I would never buy into something like this, but in fairness I could replace any of the parts myself if needed which doesn't sound an option in your case.

I hope this helps.

MatJohnson
16-09-2011, 12:40 PM
No, wouldn't bother cause it won't cover the battery.

Chequered Flag Racing
16-09-2011, 12:44 PM
No, wouldn't bother cause it won't cover the battery.

I know that ;)

Chequered Flag Racing
16-09-2011, 12:49 PM
but in fairness I could replace any of the parts myself if needed which doesn't sound an option in your case.

I hope this helps.

cheekey b*gger you ;)

done all of the above in your previous post

you'll be saying I can't change the batteries in my toy cars next :lol:

Andrew Twigger
16-09-2011, 12:56 PM
cheekey b*gger you ;)

done all of the above in your previous post

you'll be saying I can't change the batteries in my toy cars next :lol:

If you're comfortable doing all of that then I'm very surprised you even asked in the first place.

Cardnim
16-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey CFR - would agree that it probably isnt necessary mate.
Worst case scenario for a laptop repair would probably be the monitor breaking off - and as this would probably cost about £100 to repair, then you havent really saved much.

As previously said, much more likely its a software problem (easy fixed) or a hard drive / DVD drive / memory problem and again, the cost of these is so low now that you could replace them for less than the £90 you would spend on the warranty.

Good luck! :)