PDA

View Full Version : Slipper shaft not true ?

andys
25-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Just built my spare slipper from a brand new kit.

The actual shaft isn't true !
When the slipper is in the car (spinning freely) the rear end spins un-true. I removed the drive shaft cup to see if it was that, but no, running it freely without the cup you can see it's untrue.

My old slipper runs straight as you like ?

Anyone else had / noticed an un-straight slipper shaft ?

steel
25-09-2011, 06:41 PM
yes m8 mines the same i dont know if it will cause any probs but may vibrate a bit

Big G
25-09-2011, 06:42 PM
yes m8 mines the same i dont know if it will cause any probs but may vibrate a bit

+1 lol. same here

jaffacake
25-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Not good enough in my opinion,how much are we spending on these kits?? & spares
I hope the thing drives better than it was to build,if i knew what i know now i definately wouldnt have bought the 410.

captainlip
25-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Not good enough in my opinion,how much are we spending on these kits?? & spares
I hope the thing drives better than it was to build,if i knew what i know now i definately wouldnt have bought the 410.

The new Captainlip :thumbsup:

stegger
25-09-2011, 07:43 PM
The new Captainlip :thumbsup:

He's defo got BIG boots to fill !!!

captainlip
25-09-2011, 07:51 PM
He's defo got BIG boots to fill !!!

He has the master to guide him :D

andys
25-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Hmmm.

Thing is my old one from my 410R is perfect, runs true as you like, I noticed the new one wasn't perfect straight away, which is why I instantly thought I'd misaligned the outdrive slightly somehow. Not the case though, don't know if I should run it, it's not terrible, but it ain't right either !

AndyG
25-09-2011, 08:46 PM
get your verniers on it! .... oh no wait,... you do it all by eye !! :p

jkclifford
25-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Any thing which spins at high revs and is out of true will vibrate, this can only increse wear. Get it swapped i don't know how to go about it. But basically its not fit for purpose.

andys
25-09-2011, 08:59 PM
get your verniers on it! .... oh no wait,... you do it all by eye !! :p

Cheeky bugger. Don't need no verniers to see this thing don't spin true :)

MP9
26-09-2011, 02:07 AM
May be able to help you there Andy...

I had the same problem on my Dex410 I found it was part number 310013 this is the slipper clutch plate rear check to see if it is warped if so sand it flat with some emery sandpaper you will see the disk sand the plates high spot continue doing this till its all flat....

I had to use a course sandpaper first then used a finer one this fixed my problem...

Hope this helps :-)

jkclifford
26-09-2011, 05:35 AM
May be able to help you there Andy...

I had the same problem on my Dex410 I found it was part number 310013 this is the slipper clutch plate rear check to see if it is warped if so sand it flat with some emery sandpaper you will see the disk sand the plates high spot continue doing this till its all flat....

I had to use a course sandpaper first then used a finer one this fixed my problem...

Hope this helps :-)

The trouble with that is your sanding away the had coating and yd up with black greasy filth all over the slipper pads (aluminium powder) and slip too much.

hloland
26-09-2011, 03:27 PM
You should check that the "Slipper Pads" fits the spur gear. If one of the pads dose not fit perfectly, you can get tis wobbling.

Stu
26-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Andy, if it's a part that's not quite right I'm sure the guys at HQ would like to take a look, if it is faulty I'm sure you'll get a fresh one by return post.

Just stick it in the post or give it to Adam at racing.

One of the team guys may do a swap if they have one.

old-man
26-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Mine is wobbling quite badly, so took some time and did some analyzing yesterday.

So took the entire slipper assembly apart. Mounted the slipper shaft into a cordless drill and spun it very low rpm - the slipper shaft was true. So the problem is somewhere else.

Found that there was some free play between the slipper shaft and the slipper plate, where the parts meet at the hex. One end of the spring coil was interacting in the cavity of the slipper plate, This was forcing the plate to one side - some dremel work on the spring fixed that.

Where the slipper shaft and slipper plate meet, there is a sweet spot to get it to spin true. So you need to rotate the slipper plate and test, rotate and test.

Mine spins so much better now, did not manage to get 100% at least now its about 95% true :thumbsup:

andys
29-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Cheers Stu - and guys for the tips.

Took it all apart and had a play with it, still spins badly, tried reseating it many times.
All I can see when it's apart is the spring is out of bonk. When I stand the spring on the bench it's lopsided, the flat ends are not aligned with the springy middle bit ! Maybe this isn't helping ?

I'll just not use it and bring it to a meeting :)

Bungleaio
29-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Just built mine in the V3 and it's not true either so I've dropped my original one in it.

I'm surprised by how much run out it's got.

WHITTLER555
29-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Hmmm, mine is not running true either, I will drop an email to Adam.

andys
01-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Hmmm, mine is not running true either, I will drop an email to Adam.

Damo.

Let us know what you find out, re built mine a dozen times, kept changing the position of the plates / spring etc but to no avail, it's still bloody wonky !

I've given up now. Will use my old one till someone has a look at it for me:)

WHITTLER555
02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Hi, I have sent mine back to Adam for him to check out, I will report back to you and make sure its not builder error!

passy
05-10-2011, 03:35 AM
another one not running true here either - shame as I don't have an old one to swap it out with.

WHITTLER555
05-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Passy and AndyS - please contact your relative Team Durango importer and speak directly with them, I am sure they will help you out.

MikePimlott
08-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Did any body find a cure for this ?

steel
08-10-2011, 04:18 PM
yer i would also be interested to find out about this tryed all sorts with mine but still the same

passy
09-10-2011, 01:07 AM
For those that have an old version that is true can you work out what part is at fault in the V3 kit?

spring, slipper plate or .....

Many thanks.

Northy
09-10-2011, 06:25 AM
If you really think you have a faulty part contact TD

support@team-durango.com

They are a friendly bunch :D

muratti
15-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Any news on this topic? Mine runs untrue too:thumbdown:

snook
15-10-2011, 10:34 PM
have the 2010 spec car. the slipperplatething (http://www.team-durango.com/part-info.php?partNo=TD310012)is "untrue" since assembly.
i have a spare slipperplatething and i have a spare spurgear.
however i never switched to the spares because it was never a problem.
yes the spur slightly disintegrated after the first 2 runs (there were tiny spurgear flakes all over the inside of the body...)
BUT it still runs just fine, and the mesh was never better.
id just get a spare spur incase anything happens, but would not worry about it.