PDA

View Full Version : are you a kid from the 60's -70's

bigred5765
14-02-2008, 01:04 PM
If so read this
just found this else were not my work i think its ace so true, but funny

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
60's 70's 80's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 30 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, show it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

jim76
14-02-2008, 01:43 PM
like it. how things have changed!

dave g
14-02-2008, 01:53 PM
carl..your living proof that all those things did have an effect on SOME kids :)

dan_kitty
14-02-2008, 02:00 PM
ive always eat crap off the floor and im very rarly ill,

word up!

bigred5765
14-02-2008, 02:57 PM
carl..your living proof that all those things did have an effect on SOME kids :)

and as a kid from my eara im sure you agree lmao

b4rs
14-02-2008, 03:12 PM
wish i was a kid of the 60's but then again, you didnt have rc cars either!

ashleyb4
14-02-2008, 03:12 PM
being a kid is sh*t these days

A

b4rs
14-02-2008, 03:20 PM
i agree partly, we got some good stuff , but absolutly Sh** rules and regulations and health and safety.....jeeez dont get me started.

dave g
14-02-2008, 03:37 PM
and as a kid from i eara im sure you agree lmao

differance is, i didnt lick the lead soldiers :)

GRIFF55
14-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Surely you chewed them a bit, i know i did!!!(might explain some things:woot:)
Nice find, and all very true

bigred5765
14-02-2008, 04:37 PM
wish i was a kid of the 60's but then again, you didnt have rc cars either!

o we had rc cars, just could'nt really say they were much use
and lick lead solder's:drool: huh
i use to eat em
:woot:

telboy
14-02-2008, 05:00 PM
ohhhh, lick lead soldiers, drink the paints that we use to paint them. play in mud..and we sometimes got it in our mouth!!
Bmx riding and falling off on the big jumps...without sueing the council because (god forbid) the ground was too hard!!

And we could play out in the dark on our own street without the fear of some pervert running off with us.

Running through thorn bushes........just because a mate dared us too.
....and it bloody hurt sometimes.:lol:

The first computer I had was a commodore 64, it took almost an hour to load a game up on the cassette player (yes kids..cassette! it was the future).....and sometimes it crashed just before it loaded, so you had to start all over again, then you'd get 5 mins play before bedtime came around.:thumbdown:

Kids today don't know they were born!

GRIFF55
14-02-2008, 06:04 PM
OOOh, you had to have had a spectrum zx81 they were the business:thumbsup: all those lovely colours and noises as you waited for games to load for an hour, only for them to crash. I loved it!!
The best had to be see how many of your mates you could jump on your raleigh burner off a balsa wood ramp:lol:

rcracer
14-02-2008, 06:07 PM
or crush your nuts on a raleigh chopper :o

markwilliamson2001
14-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I must be old, cos I had a raleigh chopper too...and I am only 25! LOL

telboy
14-02-2008, 07:59 PM
The chopper wasn't too bad cos the cross bar was low....you just had to look out for the gear lever.! Ouch!!:eh?:

Now the Burner....that was a family killer! espescially if you were small....like me. I had to have smaller bikes that everone else, and get laughed at.:lol: I couldn't even reach the handle bars on a chopper!

Zx81? But they only had 4 colours!!:woot: The 64 had a massive....16!

Did anyone used to do that thing with the handle bars on their bmx,? where you'd lean them all the way forwards so it looked like you were on a racing bike. You couldn't control it for toffee, but it looked kool....until you piled it, and because the bars were so far forward, 9 times out of 10 you go over them head first!
.....which I did.....onto a freshly tarred and stone chipped road!!!:o
I was fine...until I saw the blood.:thumbsup:

gramey
14-02-2008, 08:05 PM
:)How much of the following rings true?
School 1977 vs. School 2007
Many a true word is spoken in jest but…….

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up mates.

2007 - Police are called, Armed Response Unit arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. Mobiles with video of fight confiscated as evidence. They are charged with assault, ASBOs are taken out and both are suspended even though Johnny started it. Diversionary conferences and parent meetings conducted. Video shown on 6 internet sites.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.

1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given 6 of the best. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Counselled to death. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra funding because Jeffrey has a disability. Drops out of school.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him the slipper.

1977 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. Psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mum has an affair with the psychologist. Psychologist gets a promotion.

Scenario: Mark, a college student, brings cigarettes to school .

1977 - Mark shares a smoke with the school principal out on the smoking area.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug possession. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Mohammed fails high school English.

1977 - Mohammed retakes his exam, passes and goes to college.

2007 - Mohammed's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and his English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Mohammed is given his qualification anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers, puts them in a model plane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1977 - Ants die.

2007 - MI5 and police are called and Johnny is charged with perpertrating acts of terrorism. Teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during break and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1977 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy. Becomes gay.

And then we wonder where it all went wrong!!

GRIFF55
14-02-2008, 08:06 PM
That had to be done, and the can on the rear wheel so it sounded like a motorbike! Did you ever progress to the night burner? One beat me at a bmx meeting, so i aquired my brothers:thumbsup:

telboy
14-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Haha, no, beleive it or not, I couldn't actually fit on a 'proper' bmx until I was like 13.:(:thumbdown:

Gramey, that is ace, and soooo true.

Things are taken far to seriously now. I remember we used to fall over at school all the time ( like you do) and then one year, the school actually thought about aboloshing playtimes, because a kid fell at school (well, fell off a fence because he was stupid enough to climb all 16ft or so when it was raining) and he broke his elbow. The kids parents then decided to sue the school..and won. So they actually thought about stopping us playing out.:eh?:
One of my mates fell and broke his wrist, because we found a frozen puddle (a big one) and decided to use it as a huge slide. he got off balance fell backwards and used his wrist to cussion his landing. All that happened (because his parents had common sense) was that he got picked up by his mum, got a slap around the head (we all laughed) and took to hospital. no sueing of the school or anything like that....beacuse these, things, happen!

The world has gone claim mad!

I know its different, but schools have now got rid of the 'nit nurse' because a parent could see it as 'child abuse' :eh?: so we now have to spend £30 a week through the summer on shampoo etc. cos some poor kids parent can't be arsed to sort his hair out. They're probably too busy smoking, drinking and breaking into their 'working neighbours' house, to actually have to look after their 10 kids!!

telboy
14-02-2008, 08:36 PM
In the 70's I used to climb up sign posts on the way home from school....now I'd have been arrested for damage to council property. :woot:

Bu then again, now its ok for kids to smash your car up, and then kill you for going and shouting at them. God, if we killed everyone that shouted at us when we were kids, ther'd be no old people around now.:lol:

Can you remember hedge hopping?

dave g
14-02-2008, 09:42 PM
i remember my dad smashing my even knievel bike and starter up because id managed to wear the skin away away so much on my knuckles i couldnt close my hand to hold a pen and do my homework :(

rcracer
14-02-2008, 10:35 PM
That had to be done, and the can on the rear wheel so it sounded like a motorbike!:thumbsup:

:lol: ye kool..what about the lolly stick trick so it rattled on the spokes or the little plastic things you got on the bread bag to reseal them we use to put them on your brake cables :thumbsup:...

GRIFF55
14-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Sh## i feel old now, and i'm only 18;):lol:
The bread sealing thing were good, might have to dig some of my old bmx's out now!! Got a brand new puch frame somewhere:confused:. how about them awful pedal back brakes!!
HEDGE HOPPING, still do that accidentally on the way home from the pub:lol:

dave g
14-02-2008, 10:59 PM
i just thought of an old 70s toy i used to have and shuddered from the pain and bruising it caused..can anyone guess what it was?

telboy
14-02-2008, 11:02 PM
hedge hopping was fun until you landed in someones pond in the middle of winter ( because it was a winter sport due to the nights drawing in). Or if you landed in a rose bush. ooohhh.:cry:

...haha, or if the hedge was high....for a reason ......like a big bloody dog!!:woot:

Hmm old 70's toy, bruising and pain.

Can't think?

Wraggy
14-02-2008, 11:10 PM
i just thought of an old 70s toy i used to have and shuddered from the pain and bruising it caused..can anyone guess what it was?

Klackers???

GRIFF55
14-02-2008, 11:11 PM
give us a clue, most caused pain and bruising with my brother and me
Deck of cards, wrapps?

rcracer
14-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Klackers???

ye my sisters had those real knuckle bruisers those things :(

Spencer Mulcahy
15-02-2008, 01:53 AM
An air riffle we used to play army in the woods near my mums house, all armed with an air riffle and it bloody hurt when you got shot. I had a mongoose BMX loved it had the pegs on the front and the back the little brakes that you only used two fingers to operate. I think we bounced more in those days must have been all the lead we where eating.:thumbsup:

SiR_Dave
15-02-2008, 03:08 AM
Good reading guys;).... kind of puts things into prespective :)

telboy
15-02-2008, 08:21 AM
An air riffle we used to play army in the woods near my mums house

Nowadays, someomne would've report it to police and they'd send the armed response unit out to shoot you.:lol:

Mongoose bmx's. that was my first propper bmx, everything was annodised golden yellow, with the two finger brake levers in annodised blue. Did you have the handle bars that curved down across the top (like the racing ones)? we had the ones that went in a straight line from grip to grip.

What about the mag wheels that you could put in the freezer to 'un-buckle' them....if you had a freezer big enough.

Adam Skelding
15-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Nowadays, someomne would've report it to police and they'd send the armed response unit out to shoot you.:lol:

Mongoose bmx's. that was my first propper bmx, everything was annodised golden yellow, with the two finger brake levers in annodised blue. Did you have the handle bars that curved down across the top (like the racing ones)? we had the ones that went in a straight line from grip to grip.

What about the mag wheels that you could put in the freezer to 'un-buckle' them....if you had a freezer big enough.

Mongoose - You posh git. I had a Raleigh Super Tuff Burner. Gold with pimping Black MAG 5 spokes. Looked the shiznit with my race number on the front. Never actually raced as I was crap. My dad made me some trick nuts at work, all they ever got used for was when I was giving multiple backies or 4's up at once...

:thumbsup:

telboy
15-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Yep trick nuts front and back, with 3 mates on cadjing a lift.....then we wondered why the bearings were knackered.:lol: couldn't see where you were going but it was ace....but knackering trying to ride a bike with 4 people on. and it got a bit scary when you got to the bottom of a hill and the brakes wouldn't work.

Don't worry it wasn't a new one. (like we could ever afford a new one!)
I think I bought it for £30 off a rich mate who got a new one for xmas.

GRIFF55
15-02-2008, 09:54 AM
I upgraded from raleigh to mongoose when i got into racing, all chrome and black bits mine was. Red line used to be the business racing!!
I always felt sorry for the poor bugger who sat on the handlebars(fool).
Adam you posh git, only ever saw one super tuff where i live, they looked the nuts didn't they.
What are klackers, don't remember them?

dave g
15-02-2008, 10:02 AM
yes they were clackers..effectively 2 pieces of shoe string with 2 rock hard solid plastic balls on the end that would try and break your wrist everytime you got it wrong,when you did get it right you darent stop because of the ensuing pain and tears that were sure to follow on slowing down :)

i remember sat in the kitchen with a large wet towel round my wrist to take the bruising down...while still trying to master them :)

bikewise i had a raleigh grifter,chopper and a raleigh team banana mile race bike for my road racing.

just found out they have brought the evel knieval bikes back out!!!! yay :)

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1430&src_t=wnw&aff=1272

J_WOODY
15-02-2008, 10:07 AM
bmx racing..... that brings back memories, i started with a raleigh burner, then quickly moved over to a robinson, wich all the top guys were racing, i ended up swapping it for 3 other bmx's a couple of years later..... my dad went ballistic, and tried to make me swap back..... haha, them were the days, and hedge hopping... we used to call that the grand national.

Wraggy
15-02-2008, 10:55 AM
bmx racing..... that brings back memories, .
Andy Ruffel !!!! what happened to him ???

GRIFF55
15-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Oh my god, i better start claiming my pension:lol:. Not sure on where he went to wraggy. I remember klackers now!

bigred5765
15-02-2008, 11:03 AM
didn't have bmx bikes out when i was a kid we had, the Raleigh grifter, chopper and tomahawk

dave g
15-02-2008, 11:07 AM
dont forget the budgie,chipper and striker.

i loved my old racer with big blinging cow horns on it :)

Wraggy
15-02-2008, 11:14 AM
dont forget the budgie,chipper and striker.

LOl !!! i used to have a budgie :thumbsup:, bloody thing was lethal ..
i used to pull wheelies and because it as so light on the front i used to flip backwards all the time . think i went down A&E 3 times due to cracking my head open with that bloody bike ....:(

bigred5765
15-02-2008, 11:20 AM
and most with the revolutionary 3 speed rear hub OMG three gears ya awsome

b4rs
15-02-2008, 02:26 PM
used to do hedge hopping, car jumping (walking over cars ha ha ha lol), canal jumping, lining 5 mates up at the end of a ramp and jumping them with my bmx. sitting on skateboards and going down huge steep hilss, wearing the ankles of our shoes and ripping the skin of our palms.

its was good beign younger, i know im only 16 but its better younger.

Wraggy
15-02-2008, 02:37 PM
car jumping (walking over cars ha ha ha lol
not entirely sure that's very funny at all !!
you wait till you start trying to run a car a pay the insurance premiums .... and then having to claim off your own insurance because some kid wanted a laugh and put dents all over your car !!!!!

b4rs
15-02-2008, 02:39 PM
well i rarely did it tbh anyway, but we never ruined any car jus walked over them to see how many they could do in a chain,

i will tell my mate that it isnt a very funny thing to do at all.:thumbdown:

Spencer Mulcahy
15-02-2008, 06:30 PM

Bars straight across the top with mushroom grips. Was watching some bloke on you tube the other week doing some free style it was ace would like to say I was as good as that but I was shit. The mag wheels where those with the little holes in wearnt they.:thumbsup:

GRIFF55
15-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I had some sykway tuffmags, they could go in the freezer to straighten them. As for walking/running over cars, i'd have loved to see you do that to my old mans car back in the day, your legs certainly wouldn't be doing much for a while.
Anybody for a good old fashioned game of conkers, NO HELMETS of coarse:lol:.

rcracer
15-02-2008, 06:50 PM
i had a raleigh bomber it was ace my mam got me it on tick from the bike shop £1 a week :woot:..remember cow horn handle bars :D no good for going down allyways them things :thumbdown:...when i got to 16 thing progressed to jumping fires on my honda xl 125 :o

niggs98
15-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Surely you chewed them a bit, i know i did!!!(might explain some things:woot:)
Nice find, and all very true

certainly explains ya orange offroader lollollol :D

and i had a chrome raleigh styler complete with black mags when my bro had his burner ;)

Gnarly Old Dog
15-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Bars straight across the top with mushroom grips. :

CW bars I seem to recall. They were the nuts. Good choice of grips too - mushrooms were way comfy. Always wanted a Mongoose but had to settle for some cheap steel copy with OGK Mags.

My best mate had a Curtis Freestyler complete with Tuff 3s (alloy hubbed) with the coaster rear brake. Way cool at night to lock the rear wheel without having to use any finger brakes but a right nightmare to camel hop on cos you ended up locking the brake as you tried to weight shift to flick the rear end up. Looked v. silly on a number of occasions crashing into a kerb that I was trying to hop up:woot:

Andy Ruffell - that's a blast from the past...

BTW - Bear traps or platforms? DX platforms all the way for me:D

niggs98
15-02-2008, 07:48 PM
CW bars I seem to recall. They were the nuts. Good choice of grips too - mushrooms were way comfy.
BTW - Bear traps or platforms? DX platforms all the way for me:D

god i remember mushrooms lol and for street i always used platforms as they were way more comfy but when jumpin it was beartraps all the way and a good set of shinpads just incase :D

gramey
15-02-2008, 07:56 PM
In the 70's I used to climb up sign posts on the way home from school....now I'd have been arrested for damage to council property. :woot:

Bu then again, now its ok for kids to smash your car up, and then kill you for going and shouting at them. God, if we killed everyone that shouted at us when we were kids, ther'd be no old people around now.:lol:

Can you remember hedge hopping?

:)So your the one's responsible for all the old gits on the roads these day's that impede my progress doddering along in their Rovers & Micra's?
Shame on you.:)

Gnarly Old Dog
15-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Platforms all the way.

Still use them today on my MTBs - a C'dale Prophet with more suspension travel than an E-maxx on steroids and an Orange P7 for those old Skool 'steel is real' moments:lol:

Can't abide the thought of clipless pedals - need to get as far away from the bike as possible when you trash it. Sod the pedalling inefficiencies when going uphill - who wants to pedal uphill anyway - that's why God invented chairlifts.:thumbsup:

Mind you - there are no hills in Essex anyway...