PDA

View Full Version : Help identify this please

kryten
03-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Is this a procat?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/sale%20items/P1050519.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/sale%20items/P1050520.jpg

Also is it worth selling,or would it make more being broken for spares?

ASKay
03-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Bottom one is a XLS if i remember correctly, although it was over 20 years ago....

In fact looking at the shape of the chassis, I recon both the cars are XLS's just don't know what the red body is....

If I am wrong please don't shout at me ;)

guessing it would depend on if you can get them running, and the diffs, belts are in good nick... a running car is allways worth more than a unknown car... but someone eles will advise... at least you know what to look up on ebay now...

this one went for just over £100, but looked in reasonable condition...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Schumacher-CAT-XLS-period-upgrades-spares-loads-tyres-/330618516063?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4cfa66325f

kryten
03-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks,thats a great help. :)

gainsy
03-10-2011, 08:19 PM
I would say xls on the right, procat on the left, slightly different top chassis's on both cars, would need closer pics really to be sure, nice find though :thumbsup:

gainsy
03-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Also the car on the left looks like it has 1 way driveshafts which the procat had & the xls didn't :D

Northern Monkey
03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Blimey, there's a real jumble there.:) both look like they started out as an xl/xls but have been seriously modified along the way. The one on the right looks like it has a bosscat rear end on it.

Love the Futaba 112b speed controller, very retro. I've got one somewhere :thumbsup:

Al

ASKay
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Also the car on the left looks like it has 1 way driveshafts which the procat had & the xls didn't :D

chassis does not look like a procat, if you look carefully there is no provision for saddlepack, looks like the same chassis as the right which is very narrow... the undertray on the other hand is definately not XLS shaped, nor the body...

http://forum.racing-cars.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7328&title=all-my-cat-and-procat-chassis

this is like Time Team for RC cars :woot:

XLS chassis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25748126@N04/3909720105/

The left hand car has got shocks that look like schumacher, but are the wrong colour for anything I had...

Futaba Spedo as well, if i remember thats simular to my first venture into the wonderful world of ESC in place of mechanical ones....

Moozo
03-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Right on the right is an xls with what's looks like the rear end from the other one, but its mounted backwards and the shock mount looks likea camber link/bracket. Xls body and undertray.
On the left a procat with a stick pack bottom chassis, procat undertray and one way front driveshafts (good spot gainsey:-)) , and I think I spy a mms layshaft...unsure what the body is.

Mick

Gayo
03-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Car on the right is a XLS (XL maybe) with a Bosscat Works rear suspension, made around 1992 or 93. Sweet :thumbsup:

gainsy
03-10-2011, 10:40 PM
The gold shocks look like Kyosho optima mid ones

QuackingPlums
04-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Gold shocks look like they're from an RC10, as are the white shock collars that are now on the right hand car. Kyosho Optima "option house" shocks didn't have the hex at the top of the shock barrel.

My XLS had one-ways - was this one of those cases where later kits had upgraded components?

Both my XLS and my Procat had the same top deck as the left car. I've seen that one on the right but I don't recognise it. Maybe a later release?

Car on the right definitely still has the old integrator diff at the top, and the left car has the MMS layshaft as Moozo said.

The alu block to which the rear shock mount is attached is not the standard bar or z-bracket - perhaps to facilitate the rear-mounted shocks? Difficult to see from the picture but if those are standard wishbones in reverse then there would be some degree of toe-out at the back, unless the lower pivot blocks were also changed. The shock bracket is also non-standard.

You can see the Procat rear shock bracket and wing mount in the foreground of the picture - this was different to the XLS so at some point, some Procat parts were purchased if neither of these two started life as Procats. The chassis are both XLS standard stick pack (though obviously it's relatively easy to 'upgrade' to the stick chassis and the chrome wheels are from the XLS too. I don't see any Procat wheels in the picture.

:D

Nick Goodall
04-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Car on the right is a XLS (XL maybe) with a Bosscat Works rear suspension, made around 1992 or 93. Sweet :thumbsup:

That reminds me of one of my first cars! We bought Andy Shaw's Bosscat Works from him (Full Schumacher A-Team Driver at the time) and it had the Shocks mounted on the back of the wishbones like that - That was where the 1st Cat 2000 came from

kryten
05-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for all the info guys,i'll get some better pics later now i have cleaned it up.

Isobarik.....clear your pm box!!

Mash Potato
05-10-2011, 11:22 AM
XLS and Pro CAT are very similar. The main difference is the rear end, but they share many parts. A common thing to do was fit a Pro CAT rear end to a XLS, so I suspect that is what the right hand one is. Although the top deck is different to any of the cars I had/have. Is there a chance it's an XL? Is the chassis/top deck on both cars the same length?
Both XLS and Pro CAT had one way front shafts.

QuackingPlums
05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Is there a chance it's an XL? Is the chassis/top deck on both cars the same length?

I think you're right - that's an XL top deck. It's got the wide XLS/Procat track spacers though so it's looking like a right Frankenstein's Cat! :thumbsup:

prp
08-10-2011, 06:45 PM
For me, the twice are CAT XLS, the CAT on right have rear end from PROCAT, the rear arms are reverse, to make the wheelbase shorter...

I made this on mine in 89' for small track.