PDA

View Full Version : 1/12 foam tyre storage

Jason A
05-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Is it good idea to store you 1/12 foam tyres in plastic ziplock bags to stop them drying out?

:confused:

Cheers

Jason A

Mad-Wolfie
06-10-2011, 12:31 PM
depends on your viewpoint, some people say store them so they can air so the additive can evaporate & any moisture from the additive can evaporate, others say store them in a sealed bag but put some additive on them & let the sauce soak in, however this can also rot the glue used to secure the tyre to the rims.

Personally i let the tyres air or store them in a box such as a shelf on a pit box so when the box is opened they dry in the air. I've found it depends on what tyres you are running & how much meat they have on them & how long you are going to store them. if you are an occasional racer & only race 12th once in a blue moon, perhaps sealing them up but cleaning them up 1st is the way for you, but if you race often & quite regular, taking the tyres with you, store them in a box or a pencil case.

Gone Elvis
06-10-2011, 12:56 PM
how you going to race if you don't take the tyres with you Ian:p

and that has got to be some pencil case:thumbsup:

Mad-Wolfie
06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Nice one Dale, of course i meant when you are taking your tyres, how would you store them or carry them, in a sealed bag or do you store them in a pencil case or box :woot:

i must read back my replies before i hit the submit button :o
i must read back etc etc

Jason A
06-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Come on guys I asked a question about tyres :-)

When we used to run geko tyres on our micros I used keep them in plastic bags to stop the natural oils drying out.

Now that I am using additive on tyres in 1/12 I have been leaving the plastic box open that has the tyres I have been running for few days for additive to dry off then sealing the box.

I have got another box of second hand tyres that are sitting I was thinking maybe I should plastic bag these up as I am not sure when these are to be used.

:thumbsup:

SlowOne
06-10-2011, 07:19 PM
These days, let them air so the heavier oils in the additive can evaporate. If you don't then the tyres will 'rot' and become prone to chunking and tearing.

If not being used for a few months, they can stay in the air. When you want to use them again, put them on the truer and skim a bit off them to expose the fresh rubber. If you store them for years, then once the additives have dried out (a couple of months), a bag is not a bad idea to keep the natural oils in the rubber (as opposed to the additive) from drying out.

Don't put 12th tyres that are using usual additives (CS and Speedtech) in ziplock bags as that will encourage the oils to soften the foam too much. The procedure above is your best bet, and an occasional trim on the truer will restore the best surface on the tyre for performance on the track. HTH :)