PDA

View Full Version : Need to calm it down

jaffacake
07-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Ran my 410 tonight at a club night on mostly carpet with a bit of polished floor
Basically its an animal!! sooooo twitchy, & its on well used mini-pins, yes i know its gear diff & shaft driven but i cant believe people drive them as twitchy as this! its base set up
What are people doing to calm them down?
Thicker springs? heavier front diff oil? thickest roll bars?

kartstuffer
07-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Try -30% expo on your tranny (steering)
1.5 camber all round.
What motor are you running ?
40/35 shock oil..12500/7000 diff oil.
Try 8.5 or 10.5 with a bigger pinion . Cut down the rpm and give more torque .ie not as peaky.
If this is your 1st durango as you get used to it you can increase twoards std set up again.
Dont know if its any help but it worked for me !

Northy
07-10-2011, 10:26 PM
What do you call base set up? :confused:

If you post up what you have now I'm sure we can help. :)

jaffacake
07-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Ok guys cheers...
40 w front dark blue spring,2 hole piston 1.3
30 w rear light blue spring,3 hole piston 1.3
(tried 1.4mm pistons from a durango set up sheet but obviously even more responsive)
1 degree camber front & rear
13000 diff oil front 100000 cst

Rear sideweights & skid plate weight fitted

9000 '' '' rear 50000 cst
7.5 Novak ballistic motor, lrp sxx esc

@ kartstuffer, i did turn expo rate down to - 30, also slowed servo speed down on transmitter, still an insane handful to drive

I have ordered stiffer springs for both front & rear

RC John
07-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Get yourself some 1 degree rear hubs.
And the brass weights would help too.

jaffacake
07-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Get yourself some 1 degree rear hubs.
And the brass weights would help too.

Cheers John, i do have the rear brass weights fitted.

RC John
07-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Cheers John, i do have the rear brass weights fitted.
Are your running front and rear roll bars?

Big G
08-10-2011, 06:50 AM
does it turn in instantly?

TonyM
08-10-2011, 08:44 AM
I found moving the Ackerman position on the steering arm to the 'B' hole (furthest towards the rear) helped calm down my steering.

Most setup sheets show this in the centre 'C' hole. Also the -1 degree rear blocks helped with stability.

Northy
08-10-2011, 09:22 AM
We need to know shock positions and camber link positions too :)

Big G
08-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I found with my front links up in the top hole the car would aggressively turn in and the chance of grip roll was high. when I dropped them down to the bottom the car would smoothly turn into the corner and I never grip rolled after this adjustment.

10k/5k in the diffs is working for me right now.

personally I don't like carpet at all. my car is very snappy too

Northy
08-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Well, what I would do:

Front:

Inner camber link high hole.
Outer camber link low - remove washers - make sure it doesn't pop off at full up travel.
Lay shock down a the top.
I'd go softer front spring to reduce turn in - but try softer and stiffer.
1.5mm anti roll bar.

Rear:

Long wheelbase on inner of wishbone.
Long wheelbase on rear hub.
1 degree rear hubs.
No weight a the rear.

G

jkclifford
09-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Go faster!!! Push it hard into the corner and force it to understeer!!

jkclifford
09-10-2011, 06:56 AM
dial in a bit of toe in.

jaffacake
09-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the replies guys
I have ordered stiffer rear light green springs,seems to be popular choice on set up sheets when running on carpet.
Laying the shocks down on the front would give me less turn in ?
Whats the principal behind the rear 1 degree hubs? I know giving more camber gives less grip but why is fitting rear ~1 degree hubs different from just adjusting the camber to ~1 degree?
At the moment im really struggling to get the car to work for me,maybe not the ideal carpet car then

Big G
09-10-2011, 01:33 PM
the 1 degree rear hubs give extra toe in not the same as adjusting the camber

jkclifford
09-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Trim outside spikes onfront tyres.

discostu
09-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I have ordered stiffer rear light green springs,seems to be popular choice on set up sheets when running on carpet.
Whats the principal behind the rear 1 degree hubs? I know giving more camber gives less grip but why is fitting rear ~1 degree hubs different from just adjusting the camber to ~1 degree?
At the moment im really struggling to get the car to work for me,maybe not the ideal carpet car then

did you or did you not say the car was too twitchy/snappy laying the shocks down will smoth it out.

toe and camber do differnt things if you give more rear toe you tend to give the car more rear traction hense more understeer.

discostu
09-10-2011, 02:38 PM
dial in a bit of toe in.

realy!

discostu
09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Go faster!!! Push it hard into the corner and force it to understeer!!

yeah:thumbsup:

Northy
09-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Just try one thing at a time then you can see what the difference is, go for big changes to see extreme affects ans learn quicker - i.e. front shocks on outside hole then on inside hole.

Are you using brand new mini pins with none trimmed off?

G

jaffacake
09-10-2011, 04:37 PM
I think there are another pair of rear hubs left in the parts bag i have from the kit,would they be the option 1 degree hubs? So its 1 degree of rear toe you are gaining with those fitted?
@ northy,i am using quite worn yellow mini pins that havent been cut

GRIFF55
09-10-2011, 05:36 PM
It might be worth firing ianf on here a pm. I had a go on his car today and it was very docile. Might just be the complete setup your looking for:thumbsup:

Jamie.T
09-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Your car didnt exactly look slow either Andy, you were both flying with the rangos.

GRIFF55
09-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Cheers Jamie, but mine is the v3 with big bores etc. Also set a lot edgier than ians. Had a go on his and it felt super smooth

Kiixx
17-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I bought my first Durango this summer, and found it almost incontrollable with std setup ( by the book ) got a tip to add antirollbar in the rear as the antirollbar will increase the grip in the end that it's added and decrease the grip in the oposit end, and found the car much more driveable..

Jamie.T
17-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Anti-roll bars work the opposite way round in my experience, fit a rear anti-roll bar and it will increase front end grip and vise versa.

On my cars i sometimes run a front anti-roll bar to decrease front end steering when running with new tyres, especially on high bite indoor carpet.