PDA

View Full Version : Unobtanium shafts gold?

c0sie
15-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I thought unobtainium shock shafts were silver?? Not gold??

:confused:

Doomanic
15-02-2008, 07:48 PM
It's a rolling change. I haven't decided if it is for the better yet though.:eh?:

Gnarly Old Dog
15-02-2008, 08:00 PM
It's a rolling change. I haven't decided if it is for the better yet though.:eh?:

Looks good though...

MK999
15-02-2008, 08:21 PM
was explained by lee on another thread, i believe the 2008 spec B4 doesn't have the unobtanium coated shafts, as they found that the coating can wear and become 'notchy' which killed off o rings and made for leaky shocks, so the latest spec b4's have the older shafts on them.

If however you have something labelled as unobtanium shafts which are gold i'm not sure whats going on, maybe the changed the actual coating instead of using the 'softer' shafts?

Mike Hudson
15-02-2008, 09:19 PM
The gold shafts are weaker than the unobtanium shafts but smoother and the coating doesn't wear off on them

font9a
16-02-2008, 05:45 AM
Really? I thought the "unobtanium" shafts were for the TC3 (@ "1.03 stroke") and were perhaps titanium, as opposed to stainless steel. Titanium nitride is the coating on the gold shafts, not included on the unobtanium ones. TiNi is really prevalent in the world of mountain biking and motocross shock shafts -- dunno why it would be insufficient on 1:10 RC shocks. Mine are in good shape...

bigred5765
16-02-2008, 11:05 AM
The gold shafts are weaker than the unobtanium shafts but smoother and the coating doesn't wear off on them

been running these since they were released on the b4
never broke a single one
and no sign's of were on the coating

c0sie
16-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I ordered some shafts with the unobtanium part number but they have arrived gold.

Bollox..all I wanted was a none break set of shafts for the B44....

bigred5765
16-02-2008, 05:27 PM
dont crash so hard
no matter what shafts you put in if your crashing it that hard there gona break

d16dcoe45
19-02-2008, 01:44 AM
ALL the shafts are steel!! Unobtanium is just a marketing ploy to make it seem "exotic"--they are steel shafts coated in a hard coating. I know people are saying that the latest gold (ti-nitride) coated shafts seem to break easier--that could just be to a different grade or manufacturing process of the steel.

Un-coated titanium doesn't make a good bearing or sliding shaft material as ti is very "grabby"--one of the reasons it is essential to use anti-seize in a large titanium bolt that is going to have some torque to it.