PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Feedback...

Dudders
08-10-2011, 10:06 AM
The Good, Bad and the Ugly!

My reaction to Thursday night...

Track will be bigger by maybe 10 to 12ft length wise, as this week it was too small.

Plenty of pitting area trackside and in the cafe.

Rostrum is ACE.

Speaker on the rostrum.

Change of storage location to be arranged to make it easier for set up break down.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Neil

Dr_UpGrade
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Hi Neil,
excellent news on the longer track... The only thing I'd say about the rostrom is that it did (or I thought it did) overhang the track by a few feet, so the cars actually wnet under you a bit which was slightly disconcerting.. Perhaps try to push the track out a bit. Also I know I had a few requests for me to try to lift up my tranny more as others were having the same issue of losing sight of their car... I tried to do this at the start but then (alas for them) relaxed into my old more comfortable stance... Perhaps I do need to practice more with where to stand to minimse this, but just a thought...

TARTMAN
08-10-2011, 12:34 PM
great venue etc etc.

The rostrum issue i agree with, underneath it, maybe place the guttering a foot or so away from the wall so you can see the edge of the track easier, maybe try that thursday?
otherwise all good in my mind!:thumbsup:

jlucas
08-10-2011, 03:56 PM
I would prefer 3 qualifiers and just 1 final that's just me tho a late night on a school night isnt for me.
James

Dudders
08-10-2011, 05:02 PM
I would prefer 3 qualifiers and just 1 final that's just me tho a late night on a school night isnt for me.
James

Couple of thoughts on this James...

1, Seeing that we have the venue why not use it untill we're done.
2, Loads of effort and time to set up and break down so lets do lots of racing while its down.
3, Stop being a baby and stop going home early!.

Personally, I'd stay and race and do 4 or 5 heats + a final!!! :woot:

Dudders
08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi Neil,
excellent news on the longer track... The only thing I'd say about the rostrom is that it did (or I thought it did) overhang the track by a few feet, so the cars actually wnet under you a bit which was slightly disconcerting.. Perhaps try to push the track out a bit. Also I know I had a few requests for me to try to lift up my tranny more as others were having the same issue of losing sight of their car... I tried to do this at the start but then (alas for them) relaxed into my old more comfortable stance... Perhaps I do need to practice more with where to stand to minimse this, but just a thought...

Agree, we only got access to the balcony circa 6.30pm when the track was laid. Think I can get round this by not making the track narrower, just not have a straight underneath, use that area for apex's :thumbsup:

Jesus, the rostrum is 15m long and you STILL get in the way!!

Dudders
08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
great venue etc etc.

The rostrum issue i agree with, underneath it, maybe place the guttering a foot or so away from the wall so you can see the edge of the track easier, maybe try that thursday?
otherwise all good in my mind!:thumbsup:

Would you like an upside down milk crate?;)

Dr_UpGrade
08-10-2011, 05:13 PM
LOL,
What would H&S say? Will I also be 'tethered' to the back of the rostrum too then?!!!

I might also try and move over to where the ships wheel is (if thats alloowed) to try a different view of the track!

And come on, it just wouldn't be the same if I wasn't getting in the way somehow!!!!:blush:

gwesty
08-10-2011, 06:20 PM
great venue , bigger track must = mahoosive jumps :0
the laps were far too short and this doesnt help with traffic and marshalling . all in all had a good night .
make some jumpy jumpy jumps :)

TARTMAN
08-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Dudders your a cheeky one you is!
making it apex etc round there might work. early days.

I agree, more than 3 heats, lets have lots of them and the finals.

finishing around 10.30 ish is ideal, well, for me i can go later as only 3 miles away lol..........

loving it so far...............:thumbsup:

almo1985
18-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Hi Neil,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on oople and put my opinions down (not that they are worth much,lol).

I really enjoyed week one with a good friendly atmosphere. The track size was not really an issue, there were just too little features and it felt like an on road track. The cardboard corner was great but just need some bigger jumps.

I think the planned speaker on the rostrum would help as us racers didn't really know what was going on with regards to when the race was over.

Pitting space with tables provided was great.

As James said the meeting start to drag on at the end and don't think that you should be so dismissive of James views. We (most of us) have families at home e.t.c. Looking at it personally I left for work at 6am ang got in at 5:30pm, grabbed a bite to eat and headed to the track and then didn't get home till gone 11pm. I do also understand that if the hall is there then use it but I do feel one less round of qualy would be better, way too much qualy, even if you the same running I feel two finals with a round of qualy knocked off would be better.

Now the main problem I had was the £10 entry fee, I am not having a pop but for me that is not viable for an evenings racing. You are running the winter shoot out with prize money and trophies but the entry is still the same? Makes me feel that regular meetings are over priced?

None of this is me moaning or critiquing but my views.

mattybucks
18-10-2011, 07:09 AM
I have to say that £10 for a evenings racing is not expensive. I charge £8 myself but would happily pay £10. where else can you have an evening out for £10 for four hours of entertainment?

The cost of running a regular race meeting is frightening, firstly you have the initial investment, insurance, venue hire, 3 to 4 rolls of duct tape per week, masking tape, features (have you seen the price of wood!), paper, printer ink......

The you've got all the time you spend arranging things, responding to emails, phone call, setting up/packing away!

almo1985
18-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I do understand the costs involved, I didn't say it was expensive just that it isn't viable for me when a full days racing is similar money.

I just can't afford two lots of entry fees per week and have to choose Sundays over week nights in that case.

As I said previously my views are in no way a critique on the club.

Dudders
18-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi Neil,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on oople and put my opinions down (not that they are worth much,lol).

All views welcome to improve!

I really enjoyed week one with a good friendly atmosphere. The track size was not really an issue, there were just too little features and it felt like an on road track. The cardboard corner was great but just need some bigger jumps.

What you need to remember as this was the VERY first night, I had no prior knowledge of how much carpet/jumps/equipment we were getting and also whether we'd even have enough space to run a race meeting with pits/race control/rostrum etc. So to be honest, it was all we could do to get the carpet laid and the rest sorted out in time. Jumps and ramps were not even on my radar for the first night.

I think the planned speaker on the rostrum would help as us racers didn't really know what was going on with regards to when the race was over.

As mentioned further up, already actioned for last weeks meeting and it was all good, loud and clear.

Pitting space with tables provided was great
As James said the meeting start to drag on at the end and don't think that you should be so dismissive of James views. We (most of us) have families at home e.t.c. Looking at it personally I left for work at 6am ang got in at 5:30pm, grabbed a bite to eat and headed to the track and then didn't get home till gone 11pm. I do also understand that if the hall is there then use it but I do feel one less round of qualy would be better, way too much qualy, even if you the same running I feel two finals with a round of qualy knocked off would be better..

I'm dismissive of James as he's a girlie (and a mate ;)). BUT I really find this weird that people want a pre 10 pm end. I cant see a problem with 10.30pm ish?. The meeting is run to a schedule so perhaps drag isnt the right word, more people maybe get tired and therefore cant be bothered?. If you went out for a Curry and Beers or to watch a footy match, it would be circa the same time scales involved. We have the hall from 6.00pm till end and while we are there I want to give people what they want which is lots of racing. It's a lot of hassle, time and work for just a few runs imho. If 'I' go out, I'm out for the night. Perhaps we'll try 3 rounds and 2 finals each?

Now the main problem I had was the £10 entry fee, I am not having a pop but for me that is not viable for an evenings racing. You are running the winter shoot out with prize money and trophies but the entry is still the same? Makes me feel that regular meetings are over priced?

With anything it's all down to numbers. I stated a few weeks ago the entry is £10.00 and that's something we cant budge on I'm affraid, so I'm sorry if that was a surprise to you. I still think it's to cheap for a night out (but that's a whole new thread about racing in general).

The £10.00 is based of a turnout of around 20 to 25 people. When you allocate the hall hire, carpet tape, investment in equipment and carpet costs (let alone the actually time spent planning and organising/setting up taking down) trust me, it's not exactly cost effective from my view point at present!!!. With a low turnout last week it's left me thinking it isnt worth my while to run in Winter, I'd be better off planning the new outdoor track development.

With regards to the shooutout, the aim is to attract more people to the race night. As any business, when you have your overheads covered any extra people is profit all the way. So say we get another 6 or 7 drivers in for the shootout rounds, it more than pays for a few trophies. HOWEVER that said I'm seriously re thinking the Shootout nights as with 22 people they are not viable :cry:.

None of this is me moaning or critiquing but my views.

Thanks.

With regards to the track, last weeks track was bigger and better for all. We had moved a few of the features we already had and there should be a couple more jumps and also obsticles to get over. What this space. We're on week 3 now and learning every time we put the track down.

Dudders
18-10-2011, 07:50 AM
I have to say that £10 for a evenings racing is not expensive. I charge £8 myself but would happily pay £10. where else can you have an evening out for £10 for four hours of entertainment?

The cost of running a regular race meeting is frightening, firstly you have the initial investment, insurance, venue hire, 3 to 4 rolls of duct tape per week, masking tape, features (have you seen the price of wood!), paper, printer ink......

The you've got all the time you spend arranging things, responding to emails, phone call, setting up/packing away!

Matty, totally agree with everything you've said above. I've just booked us both in for some joint therapy :thumbsup:

Dudders
18-10-2011, 07:54 AM
I do understand the costs involved, I didn't say it was expensive just that it isn't viable for me when a full days racing is similar money.

I just can't afford two lots of entry fees per week and have to choose Sundays over week nights in that case.

As I said previously my views are in no way a critique on the club.

Fair point but on a sunday do you get 5 races?, guess so, you might even get 3 legged finals. We can do that for the price but then it would go past 11 o'clock. I'm happy to stay and play, are you ;). You'll get five runs with us :thumbsup:

Are you really saying that if we chose to retail at £7 you'd come week in week out?. You'd miss out on a nights racing for £3?. That's one Costa Coffee:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:.

End of the day it's not viable to run at less cost at present. If we got 40 people week in week out I can reduce the price.... but not on 22 ppn.

almo1985
18-10-2011, 07:56 AM
I do understand where everyone is coming from, and I do understand that if to make it work it has to be £10 but just from my point of view it's too expensive for me, not too expensive.

I love my week nights racing as you know from the summer shoot out nights and have missed them and I did enjoy week one.

Neil I am happy to come down and help out each week by running race control or the like to enable you to race hassle or relatively hassle free. I am sue it wouldn't take too long to show me the system.

Dudders
18-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I do understand where everyone is coming from, and I do understand that if to make it work it has to be £10 but just from my point of view it's too expensive for me, not too expensive.

I love my week nights racing as you know from the summer shoot out nights and have missed them and I did enjoy week one.

Neil I am happy to come down and help out each week by running race control or the like to enable you to race hassle or relatively hassle free. I am sue it wouldn't take too long to show me the system.

Become a member and save £2 a night.
Come and help set up and save 50% race fees.

:thumbsup:

almo1985
18-10-2011, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't ask for a reduced race fee, I want to help just to help out as the club was very welcoming when I switched over from the dark side of touring to off road.

I do not want this to turn into an issue as £10 per week in addition to whatever my weekend racing costs is not viable at this time, if I could afford it I would be there but the purse stings are stretched as it is.

I again stress I was not even complaining, just giving my views from my own point of view. I did also mention the things that Worked for me and stated that I had a good nights racing!

TARTMAN
18-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Become a member and save £2 a night.
Come and help set up and save 50% race fees.

:thumbsup:

Exactly...... Great club, Great people, Great racing.........:thumbsup:

Dudders
18-10-2011, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't ask for a reduced race fee, I want to help just to help out as the club was very welcoming when I switched over from the dark side of touring to off road.

I do not want this to turn into an issue as £10 per week in addition to whatever my weekend racing costs is not viable at this time, if I could afford it I would be there but the purse stings are stretched as it is.

I again stress I was not even complaining, just giving my views from my own point of view. I did also mention the things that Worked for me and stated that I had a good nights racing!

Yes mate, no problems, you know me, all taken on board and noted. Be good to see you down more though, even if you are super speedy ;). We're still friendly :thumbsup: