PDA

View Full Version : Speed Passion V3's in DEX 410 - gearing ?

andys
09-10-2011, 08:43 PM
I find the V3's no where near as quick as my old X12's.

What are people gearing them on in the durango ?

I normally run a 5.5 on a 22 or 23 pinion indoors, it's smooth but not quick enough.

Can the timing be altered on the V3's ??

JohnM
09-10-2011, 09:36 PM
What speedo are you using? I found when using a Speedpassion GTPRO 2.0, that I had to turn it up to near the max to make a V3.0 fast, however using a LRP Sphere, I just plug it in and it's fast.

Normally run between a 19-21t pinion depending on the track. That's outside, have never run it indoors.

dmcracing
09-10-2011, 09:42 PM
What speedo and settings are you using?

andys
10-10-2011, 07:01 AM
I'm using an Lrp SXX TC Spec.

Anything I should change in the settings ? I believe the power profiles are for adjusting the smoothness of the power delivery, nothing to do with top speed ?

JohnM
10-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Can't help with settings on the speedo, I've never felt the need to change anything on a LRP.

How big is the track your racing on? could it be that on a 22-23t pinion your over geared and not hitting full speed if the track is smallish?

andys
10-10-2011, 09:10 AM
I was wondering if I'm very undergeared if anything !
Running a 22 pinion, decent sized track (Batley outdoors and now indoors)

I know the V3's are not as powerful / fast as say an x12 of the same wind, I know as I have one and in comparison it's ballistic - but can run hot.

Anyhow, I wondered what experiences people had of these motors in the Durango, and where the sweet spot was on gearing them :)

GRIFF55
10-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Yesterday I ran a 20t on a v3 ( car and motor) 6.5. It was a small indoor track and it had plenty of power/ top end. Might be worth resetting speedo and trying smaller gearing...?

bigred5765
10-10-2011, 09:17 AM
cant say about the car andy but we run speedpassion gear, compared to are old lrp stuff you need to be between 1-3 teeth more as the v3 motors use torque not revs, to produce the speed.and run colder.

Adam Skelding
10-10-2011, 11:33 AM
I normally run a 5.5t on a 19 when I'm running turbo on a small track. But on a larger track you can easily use a 20T with turbo.

If I run a 6.5t, I normally use 2 teeth more than I would run on a 5.5t.

It is worth updating your software on the speedo to the 119 mod software at least. If not the later version. Both give you more tuning.

SP motors do feel less 'aggresive' than LRP, but in that respect they are also more 'driveable'.

mikeyscott
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I normally run a 5.5t on a 19 when I'm running turbo on a small track. But on a larger track you can easily use a 20T with turbo.

If I run a 6.5t, I normally use 2 teeth more than I would run on a 5.5t.

It is worth updating your software on the speedo to the 119 mod software at least. If not the later version. Both give you more tuning.

SP motors do feel less 'aggresive' than LRP, but in that respect they are also more 'driveable'.

So what sort of gearing would you look at for a LRP X12 6.5 with 119 mod software and no timing. Large track - i.e. TORCH?

I had V3s, but have had arcing issues so moved away.

bigred5765
10-10-2011, 12:26 PM
So what sort of gearing would you look at for a LRP X12 6.5 with 119 mod software and no timing. Large track - i.e. TORCH?

I had V3s, but have had arcing issues so moved away.????
not sure what you mean buy that mikey

mikeyscott
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
????
not sure what you mean buy that mikey

Arcing on the 3 connectors on the motor which then generates unwanted heat issues.

bigred5765
10-10-2011, 12:39 PM
that only happens if your removing the wires from the motor heck of a lot, and can be sorted buy prying out the connectors on the motor with a scalpel blade or some sharp pointy thing,

t8rtot
10-10-2011, 01:40 PM
The LRP motors come out of the factory with higher timing on the can. That's why feel is different

Big G
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM
that only happens if your removing the wires from the motor heck of a lot, and can be sorted buy prying out the connectors on the motor with a scalpel blade or some sharp pointy thing,

or soldering them directly to the can. never had a problem then.

New connectors don't have this issue and if they do just egg the joint or pry them open as suggested. no problems then.

andys
10-10-2011, 02:12 PM

My speedo is the Version 1, so no USB tuning stuff available, just the on board settings :(

Yes the motors run cool, are less aggressive and are very drivable, I just wondered on getting it just right in the Durango. My car is ok, but with a 5.5 and around a 22t pinion it's quite a bit of the pace on bigger tracks - like Southport / Robin Hood, so i'm loosing time on the high speed parts of the track !

I'm wanting to know if there's something I should do before the Chadderton meetings as again there's a big straight and it's normally a quick track.