PDA

View Full Version : Phone Scam Claiming to be AMEX

James
19-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Had a very random call this evening from this number:
0 1 4 1 5 7 0 4 1 1 2 ; claiming to be calling on behalf of American Express to check account details ... knew it was dodgy soon as they phoned because they thought i was a 'Mrs' !!??

AMEX themselves tell me its a scam, just to make you aware...

MRD
19-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I get the Email ones from Royal Bank Of Scotland asking me to 'log on' and 'confirm my details' due to site mantinence. The 500 charactor URL kind of gives it away if the duff looking email doesn't.

telboy
19-02-2008, 10:49 PM
We get those all the flamin time from every bank that we don't have accounts with.!:thumbdown:

Also a classic one is the 'I live in south africa and my father passed away recently leaving us 3,000,000gbp, but we need to put it into a british bank account. and in doing so you will receive half of the amount once it is transfered. so can you give us your full name, address, bank account details, d.o.b.,marital status....etc. etc. etc.'

Do these people think that we are totally thick!! and that we would give these details to someone we don't even know?

been getting some recently too for online lottery's that I haven't even entered, again wanting us to give the above detail.:rolleyes::thumbdown:

b4rs
19-02-2008, 10:51 PM
mark, show them the emails from the korean dating service or whateve, they are hilarious. the ones in your sig.

Mrs oOple
19-02-2008, 10:56 PM
I've received a number of emails pretending to be from banks. Most are american, ie Chase. It's pretty easy to find their website and most banks will have an email address to forward suspicious emails to. Usually Phishing@banksname.com or something. I like to think it helps some how.

MRD
19-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Some of these spam emails I get are a little bizzar

"With Design Patterns,

Hallo. Are you doing good? Email me at Ingegard@TheHealCare.info (http://webmail.ntlworld.com/agent/MobNewMsg?to=Ingegard@TheHealCare.info) only. I am using my friend's email to write this. I am female. I
want to show you some pictures.
a lack of playtime any possible stress for children it would be useful"

"will load patterns into your

Hire! How are you? Email me at Johanna@TheHealCare.info (http://webmail.ntlworld.com/agent/MobNewMsg?to=Johanna@TheHealCare.info) only. I am using my friend's email to write this. I am young female. To see
some pictures of me.
feel why not," A consequence of these the pressure, is not obliged to"

"of Design Patterns so

Hello. Are you doing good? Email me at Anneli@IndividualImprove.info (http://webmail.ntlworld.com/agent/MobNewMsg?to=Anneli@IndividualImprove.info) only. I am using my friend's email to write this. I am girlie.
If you would like to see my pictures.
of free play time, from their Many parents are evaluating claims"

"matter--why to use them,

Hi. What are you up to? Email me at Charlotte@TheDoorwayBeyond.info (http://webmail.ntlworld.com/agent/MobNewMsg?to=Charlotte@TheDoorwayBeyond.info) only. I am using my friend's email to write this. I am young
female. If you would like to see some of my pictures.
and ballet for each credit inquiry and information For now, complaint purely"

English at its best :drool:

Lee
19-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I just give them false details, they come back with some official sounding response but give them more false details, they actually get quite unimpressed after a dew attempts:woot:

yes i have a lot of time to kill:lol:

b4rs
19-02-2008, 11:03 PM
mark lmfao!!! thts hilarious....once again, no matter how many times i read them.

me so horny, me love you long time, i am usings my friends email to write this. i am girlie.

RCbob
19-02-2008, 11:29 PM
me so horny, me love you long time, i am usings my friends email to write this. i am girlie.

Thanks but no thanks:eh?:

James
20-02-2008, 09:57 AM
We get heaps of the bank spam/scams too, especially to the business address, even written letters from Nigerie promising millions.. dead easy to spot though i'm sure you're all pretty astute..:)

Reason i posted the AMEX one is they already had limited personal details and to an unsuspecting individual could've appeared quite genuine..call centre noises in the background etc..

Tom3012
20-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I just give them false details, they come back with some official sounding response but give them more false details

god damn! thats where all my money is going!!!! :lol: