PDA

View Full Version : B44 and 2 motors burnt

msm
31-10-2011, 01:15 AM
Hello

Running LRP Sphere Comp Speed,4800 Reedy Lipos Orion 5.5 motor 84 Spur and 20 Pinion

First I used a 17t Pinion and 84 Spur Motor was getting hot changed it to a 20 Pinion and was still getting hot about 170F then motor burnt...:(

Second a Novak motor the SS5800 20P and 84 Spur same thing motor was dead after 8mts

Planning to get a Mamba Max 5700, or try another motor maybe a 7.5 from Reedy or Tekin, but I don't want another dead motor it's $$. Any advice on the gearing?

Pic of the track

Regards

kayce
31-10-2011, 03:25 AM
Hello

Running LRP Sphere Comp Speed,4800 Reedy Lipos Orion 5.5 motor 84 Spur and 20 Pinion

First I used a 17t Pinion and 84 Spur Motor was getting hot changed it to a 20 Pinion and was still getting hot about 170F then motor burnt...:(

Second a Novak motor the SS5800 20P and 84 Spur same thing motor was dead after 8mts

Planning to get a Mamba Max 5700, or try another motor maybe a 7.5 from Reedy or Tekin, but I don't want another dead motor it's $$. Any advice on the gearing?

Pic of the track

Regards

While I think you were overgeared with the 5.5 (I probably would have been more like 15T), and just randomly adding teeth doesn't make sense, it seems like you were in the ballpark with the SS5800 ...... so it seems it could be a few things - old motors (once BL motors get run hot, they tend to always run hot), possible dirty bearing (or some binding in the drivetrain), and by the looks of it a pretty large track with lots of wide-open-throttle running - any of which could be your problem.

I don't understand though, because you should have been more careful with BL motors, and regulated temps by checking more often than waiting 8 minutes to find one burned up.

msm
31-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the info KC!! Yeah you are right about the temps..I should have checked the temp after 3 or 4 minutes but I never thought It was going to get Hot so quick! I used to have a B4 and the Brushless motor was never hot.. In a B44 since it's 4x4 obviously there is more parts moving...

I really don't want to burn another motor, any specific motor you would recommend + pinion and spur?

I was thinking about a 7.5 or to get a Mamba Max 5700?

Thanks

kayce
31-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info KC!! Yeah you are right about the temps..I should have checked the temp after 3 or 4 minutes but I never thought It was going to get Hot so quick! I used to have a B4 and the Brushless motor was never hot.. In a B44 since it's 4x4 obviously there is more parts moving...

I really don't want to burn another motor, any specific motor you would recommend + pinion and spur?

I was thinking about a 7.5 or to get a Mamba Max 5700?

Thanks

Realistically, a motor can get hot in 1 or 2 minutes - while 8 minutes is longer than an actual race, and well past the point of no return.

I don't know that I'd recommend any specific brand of motor, being as they're all so similar and one will overheat as quickly as the next, but it does appear you're doing a lot of flipping and flopping between brands (better to stick to one, IMHO).
Final gearing recommendations really comes down to what turn motor you select - but I'd still suggest you go through the car, giving it a complete teardown, to make sure the problem isn't in the driveline or bearings.

msm
31-10-2011, 06:46 PM
I checked the car and everything is fine. I will try a Reedy motor and use a heatsink with a fan. The speed control is fine, it's not getting hot..

Thanks KC

kayce
31-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I checked the car and everything is fine. I will try a Reedy motor and use a heatsink with a fan. The speed control is fine, it's not getting hot..

Thanks KC

I always worry when people think a "heatsink and a fan" is the answer, when in fact it's just applying a bandaid to a broken arm. If your temps are too hot, without a fan or heatsink, then even adding is not going to stop the overheating conditions (except on the outside of the motor, and helping it cool quicker) as the core will still be smoking hot.
I never add a fan or a heatsink until I've reached acceptable operating temps, to help it run cooler yet, and not as a fix.

Good luck :)