PDA

View Full Version : TC RUBBER / ADDITIVE

gar
22-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi

Just got back in to Tc racing what Additive is best to use on slick rubber ie sorex 24r for carpet racing.
I have at the minute some jack the gripper tc-2 + some cs high grip from my 12th racing. Is the likes of the lrp/nosram carpet additive any better or just the same. I Will be using some much more tyre warmers as well

Car is a TRF 416WE running a tekin rs + redline 10.5

Gar:thumbsup:

sosidge
23-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Your JTG and CS should be usable on rubber tyres as well as the foams. I've got the feeling that the JTG and CS soften the tyre a bit more aggressively than the LRP/Nosram carpet additive (could be wrong mind you).

I have virtually always used the LRP/Nosram stuff but that is mainly because the dauber bottle makes it so easy to use and it is very popular locally so the line is mostly made up of that additive.

More important than the additive is the consistency of your tyre preparation. Have a cleaning routine, time your application, think about what you are trying to acheive with the additive.

Personally speaking I always clean the tyres with lighter fluid and a towel and apply the additive for anything between 5 minutes and 20 minutes depending on what the grip level is like. I don't use warmers, don't have the time for them at club and rarely feel that I am missing out on any grip from not using them at bigger meetings. Some people also vary the width of additive on the front tyres, less additive for less steering.

gar
23-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Cheers Mate

Just orderd some nosram additive and some cs tyre cleaner
well i will be giving the tyre warmers a go as i'm the only one at the club on rubber tyres. All the rest are on foams so i'm looking for the edge on the sorex rubbers.

what sort of temp should i be looking to get the tyres upto indoor carpet track

Gar:thumbsup:

qatmix
23-11-2011, 11:38 PM
If you don't mind me asking why not use foams? you will never be as quick on rubbers as foams. Also you will have to take different lines due to your grip level being slightly different to the foam racers.

Foams are cheap (£15-20) for a set of 4 mounted, and they last a good few months.

Gunter
24-11-2011, 09:19 AM
The cleaner that almost everyone uses is brake cleaner, and it's cheaper than any cleaner on the market.

As for tyre prep yes that's very important with carpet racing you want to put the additive on bout 20/25 mins before a race and what I do is 10 mins before my race ( or 2 heats before mine)I use warmers at 50 with kitchen roll and make sure the tyres totally dry before putting the car down. It's not just for stopping black marks on the carpet.

Cs is good aggressive additive if you want more edge and lrp a all round sort of additive. Jack the gripper is abit old school and someone in my club just changed to lrp and said it was miles better :-)

chris_dono
24-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Try the xceed TF1 additive, we've run it a few time now at our local club and it's better than LRP on our track (low-med grip carpet) (YMMV as always on other surfaces)

gar
24-11-2011, 09:50 PM
If you don't mind me asking why not use foams? you will never be as quick on rubbers as foams. Also you will have to take different lines due to your grip level being slightly different to the foam racers.

Foams are cheap (£15-20) for a set of 4 mounted, and they last a good few months.

Hi

Well i like the fact that once the car is setup i.e. ride high't it doesn't change like it does with foams as thay wear down plus the car is a lot cleaner.
and the rubber tyres are easy to get every where has them in stock big plus point. I also race 12th and tyres can be a real pain at times to get hold of

Gary:thumbsup:

gar
24-11-2011, 09:55 PM
The cleaner that almost everyone uses is brake cleaner, and it's cheaper than any cleaner on the market.

As for tyre prep yes that's very important with carpet racing you want to put the additive on bout 20/25 mins before a race and what I do is 10 mins before my race ( or 2 heats before mine)I use warmers at 50 with kitchen roll and make sure the tyres totally dry before putting the car down. It's not just for stopping black marks on the carpet.

Cs is good aggressive additive if you want more edge and lrp a all round sort of additive. Jack the gripper is abit old school and someone in my club just changed to lrp and said it was miles better :-)

Cheers bud
well the nosram additive came today so i'll try that out at the weekend
so around 50 on the warmers should do the trick :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gary :)

Gunter
24-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Yes that's what we temp at, not sure what 24's going to be like as even with 28's they are making some serious noise so if the tyres temping and grtting to hot do the warmers n leave 5 mins for them to cool down and see if that help if not you'll need harder compound. Sorex 28 JB's are the carper tyre of the moment