PDA

View Full Version : Ebay spyware

bodgit
04-12-2011, 12:05 PM
How much spyware have ebay got. This morning I was looking at battery chargers from argos and halfords. Just now as I logged onto ebay the very same chargers are in my suggestions page. I was also recently looking at buy a gift,s website and ebay keep suggesting things from them.
I think it stinks they areable to spy on me and would like to know if I can get rid of the spyware from my laptop.

berry50
04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Do you use Google Chrome? If so it's more likely to be Google than Ebay. If you log out of Google Chrome before you search then Ebay won't show any of your recent searches.

bodgit
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I only use google chrome to watch live football on livescorehunter.com.
All other browsing done on ie9

mdb_75
04-12-2011, 05:32 PM
I get the same using Firefox, one trip to Superfi yesterday and now I'm being shown speakers that I was looking at..........

Dazzler
04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Don't know for sure, but would the 'in private' browsing option fix this for you? I'm sure I've seen it as an option somewhere..

slipdigby
04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I use this every few days. Gets rid of other rubbish too.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Ebay only remembers things I look at whilst logged into ebay - nothing else seems to appear.

I would imagine ccleaner would get rid of whatever is present on your computer that ebay finds to create suggestions for you. I would be unsure how to stop ebay looking for things you have previously looked at.

Skye
04-12-2011, 07:26 PM
They all seem to do it these days. I went on the B&Q website last week then looked on Sky news a day or two later and all the adverts were for exactly the products that I had looked at from B&Q a few days previous.... :eh?:

cigbunt
04-12-2011, 08:04 PM
its not spyware (so they claim) its uses the cookies stored on your computer
then displays associated advert depending where you've been!

lil video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2wMVk10X0M

bodgit
04-12-2011, 08:06 PM
They all seem to do it these days. I went on the B&Q website last week then looked on Sky news a day or two later and all the adverts were for exactly the products that I had looked at from B&Q a few days previous.... :eh?:

Exactly. Every website you visit to look at things ebay seem to stick them in adverts when you log on. With all this phone hacking in the news at the moment how can it be legal for an auction site or any other for that matter to monitor what you are browsing through the day in the privacy of your own home.

terry.sc
04-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Ebay just gives me stuff I've searched for on ebay.

I make sure they can't track me, I run Firefox with Beef Taco, Better Privacy and Ghostery add ons, they either opt out or block the advertising cookies.

Then of course Adblock Plus to cut out all the adverts.