PDA

View Full Version : New to Yokomo BX,any suggestions?

BORMAC
04-03-2008, 02:49 AM
Hi guys.
After seeing one of these cars in action and the oportunity was made available to own one of these cars I just couldnt resist.
Ive seen the BX run in mod,driven by a very good driver and i was super impressed. I also own a 501X and Im interested in running both these cars alternating between the two for kicks. Im happy with my modded 501 but think the Yoke would be a great car to drive and race. Just thought I'd ask your opinions on what the car needs before i set it up if anything. Thankyou in advance-Jason

dummy
04-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Hi guys.
After seeing one of these cars in action and the oportunity was made available to own one of these cars I just couldnt resist.
Ive seen the BX run in mod,driven by a very good driver and i was super impressed. I also own a 501X and Im interested in running both these cars alternating between the two for kicks. Im happy with my modded 501 but think the Yoke would be a great car to drive and race. Just thought I'd ask your opinions on what the car needs before i set it up if anything. Thankyou in advance-Jason

what version do you have? original, factory or worlds?

BORMAC
04-03-2008, 06:28 AM
Im sure I have the original BX. I already have some 3mm KANZEN ceramic diff balls to go in.

dummy
04-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Im sure I have the original BX. I already have some 3mm KANZEN ceramic diff balls to go in.

not sure that you need ceramic diff balls. get the longer rear shafts (or alternately b4 or 50mm rb5/zx5 rear shafts) and the spring set and you'd be pretty much set. also the hardened driveshafts are necessary. standard ones fall apart.

there are some spares available on rc-tech http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=194786

BORMAC
04-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Thankyou for your help. Do you need longer rear shock shafts to give the car more 'DROOP'? Is the car a little slippery in the rear? I'll be racing on some very slippery/dusty tracks.

dummy
04-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Thankyou for your help. Do you need longer rear shock shafts to give the car more 'DROOP'? Is the car a little slippery in the rear? I'll be racing on some very slippery/dusty tracks.

extra droop makes the car more stable. its not slippery at the rear.

BORMAC
04-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Umm thats strange? I know that we set our cars with a little more droop at times so that in hard cornering it allows the inside tyre to hold the tracks surface better. Is this not right??

minichamps11
04-03-2008, 06:28 PM
As far as I know, the original car was designed for the Italy world's track (very bumpy & low grip). The original BX was awesome at Tiverton - the nearest the UK had to a hard-packed dusty track.

A popular modification in the UK is to run slightly longer rear shock shafts and a Paul "Bradby" rear shock tower. This raises the rear tower up, giving the same overall droop but more jounce (wheel up travel) for bumpy tracks / big landings etc. This was used everywhere on all kinds of surfaces.

The Factory kit comes with slightly longer shock shafts in the box, I'm not sure if it has a different tower or not.

The other thing we found in the UK was that out of the box the BX had huge amounts of front end grip compared to the rear on grass/ high grip tracks. The rear end can't match the front for grip and the car had instant 180 degree oversteer. I believe this is how the rear upside turnbuckle mod came about to alter the roll centre.

If I've got any of this wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.