PDA

View Full Version : Diff Wont Tighten

ejw
13-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Ok so for no apparent reason i decided that it was imperative that i strip down my diff on my C4.1 (which was operating fine by the way) and clean out rebuild etc!

Having done the said job i found that i was getting a barking type of sound while running the car, no problem i thought as i had had this a bit back and was solved by tightening the diff a bit. Problem im having is that this time i tightened it no change, tightened a bit more no change until i was totally locked up couple of squirts on the throttle and the problem returns and when checking the diff screw it has loosened again, so retighten and start process again:mad:

Why did i mess with it? any ideas why it wont stay tight?

Any help appreciated!

mattybucks
13-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Ok so for no apparent reason i decided that it was imperative that i strip down my diff on my C4.1 (which was operating fine by the way) and clean out rebuild etc!

Having done the said job i found that i was getting a barking type of sound while running the car, no problem i thought as i had had this a bit back and was solved by tightening the diff a bit. Problem im having is that this time i tightened it no change, tightened a bit more no change until i was totally locked up couple of squirts on the throttle and the problem returns and when checking the diff screw it has loosened again, so retighten and start process again:mad:

Why did i mess with it? any ideas why it wont stay tight?

Any help appreciated!

Replace the screw and nut, that should solve it. Is the diff round the right way?

ben
13-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Replace the nut and screw and rebuild it. Then put the diff in so that the screw is on the same side as the slipper nut.

Ben

ejw
13-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Replace the screw and nut, that should solve it. Is the diff round the right way?

Thanks Matty, Is their a right way round? seems to fit both ways when I put it back in so didn't worry too much!

ejw
13-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Replace the nut and screw and rebuild it. Then put the diff in so that the screw is on the same side as the slipper nut.

Ben

Ok well in that case I def have it in wrong way, can I not just flip it round with out replacing screw and nut?

Martijn
13-12-2011, 05:41 PM
I had once that problem too…
I putted the spring at the wrong side :p

mattybucks
13-12-2011, 05:44 PM
You can try it a see if it solves it. If i ever have a problem with a diff the first thing I do is swap the nut/screw.

If you've still having problems with it i'm happy to have a look at it for you.

Toyman
13-12-2011, 06:43 PM

Ben

Are you sure it's the correct way? In this case the diff will rotate in opposite direction vs original B4.

sparrow.2
13-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Are you sure it's the correct way? In this case the diff will rotate in opposite direction vs original B4.

Why, are you going backwards???

mattybucks
13-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Why, are you going backwards???

I agree, as long as you going forwards the diff will rotate the same way!:lol:

Toyman
13-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I am lost. I just checked X6 manual (the same 4 gear transmission): it has white t-nut at the slipper side ("passenger"/left side) and diff bolt head on "driver"/right side.

Toyman
13-12-2011, 07:05 PM
http://www.xfactoryrc.com/rc/pdfs/K021-05-BagD.pdf

mattybucks
13-12-2011, 07:10 PM
If you have the car facing you the diff screw should be on the left hand side.

Toyman
13-12-2011, 07:19 PM
That's correct but it's NOT the side where the slipper is.

ejw
13-12-2011, 07:32 PM
ok well tried the other side anyway and same issue so nit that.

Will re-install it with diff screw on opposite side to slipper nut!

Dont have a spare diff screw or nut but guess i will have to try replacing them later, seems strange that their should suddenly be an issue with them though, is this something i have done during the re-build?

ejw
13-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Just not convinced that diff screw or nut are the issue here, had them out and they thread up to each other fine, havent stripped or anything crazy.

Any other theories?

By the way, if i hold the diff in my hand and fully tighten up then then twist the outdrives in opposing directions for a few seconds the not lossens and can be seen to physically move up the channel a few mill and the resistance gets less and less.

Maybe it is screw and nut!:confused:

Pops
13-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Just not convinced that diff screw or nut are the issue here, had them out and they thread up to each other fine, havent stripped or anything crazy.

Any other theories?

By the way, if i hold the diff in my hand and fully tighten up then then twist the outdrives in opposing directions for a few seconds the not lossens and can be seen to physically move up the channel a few mill and the resistance gets less and less.

Maybe it is screw and nut!:confused:

Look at car from rear..adjusting screw on right..plastic coated t nut and spring on left...same as b4 etc... if adjusting screw on the left it will unwind. check b4 x6 manuals if in doubt
Dave

ejw
13-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Look at car from rear..adjusting screw on right..plastic coated t nut and spring on left...same as b4 etc... if adjusting screw on the left it will unwind. check b4 x6 manuals if in doubt
Dave

Thanks dave, that's how I have it now, doesn't solve the issue I'm afraid!

Pops
13-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks dave, that's how I have it now, doesn't solve the issue I'm afraid!

Ok i had one of the tiny thrust balls under the thrust washer/ball assembly once and had same problem

ejw
13-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Ok i had one of the tiny thrust balls under the thrust washer/ball assembly once and had same problem

Ok tried that Dave but all six balls nicely lined up around screw shaft and nothing under bottom washer.:mad: appreciate the effort to help mate, this hurting my brain now!!!

mattybucks
13-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Is it a brand new diff? Did you compress the spring when building it? I would take it to bits and rebuild it making sure everything is how it should be, and replace the nut/screw.

If you want me to have a look at it, let me know.

ejw
13-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Is it a brand new diff? Did you compress the spring when building it? I would take it to bits and rebuild it making sure everything is how it should be, and replace the nut/screw.

If you want me to have a look at it, let me know.

Thanks Matty appreciate the offer, it is not a new diff, came out of my B4.1 and i have stripped it all down today and totally rebuilt it and it seem fine, cant understand why the screw undoes when rotating the outdrives in opposite directions afew times, surely that shouldnt happen?

I maybe coming over tomorrow to race at Deanshanger with you so if i cant solve it by then i might take you up on that offer.

ejw
13-12-2011, 10:37 PM
wooohooo!!

Cracked it, somehow managed to get 7 not six thrust balls around the screw, when tightening up one must have been crushed, must have checked it 4 times and not noticed the debris.

Anyway thanks for all the help guys!

Cheers

AdamBurgess
13-12-2011, 11:19 PM
i assume the diff nut is a nylock with the nylon insert? remember these do need replacing fairly regularly as they become less effective each time the screw is unscrewed. with all the moving parts in a diff an old diff nut will come undone quite easily by itself

Pops
14-12-2011, 05:31 PM
wooohooo!!

Cracked it, somehow managed to get 7 not six thrust balls around the screw, when tightening up one must have been crushed, must have checked it 4 times and not noticed the debris.

Anyway thanks for all the help guys!

Cheers

:thumbsup::thumbsup: