PDA

View Full Version : should I

jimmy
12-03-2008, 05:19 PM
sorry - now moved this to the oople talk forum:

should I create a few different sub-catagories in the for sale section - like cars, electrics, general (or whatever) and same for the wanted. to try and keep things easier to find - or would it make things worse?

Also anyone fancy the fun and friendly task of 'keeping an eye' on this area - moderating it in other words. no heavy handed madness - but occasionally stuff needs tidying up which I might miss since I've not got enough money to be looking at toys for sale all day.:D

Also - are there any other sections that would be a 'good idea'? I usually add them if I can personally see a need, but thats not always much good. It took me years to add a vintage sub forum despite owning loads of old cars and loving them to bits :)
Suggestions here please! :)

rcracer
12-03-2008, 05:21 PM
sounds like a good idea jimmy :thumbsup:

Lee
12-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Jim, i wouldn`t mind sweeping up now and again if needed.

Id leave it as is, a lot of people sell ready to run kits with speedo`s,chargers etc

Southwell
12-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Sounds like a good idea, would make things easier to find, and the mods to help make sure everythings in the right place. For multiple items there could just be a section for kits with leccies and that.
If you want any help im around all day week days and random times weekends to keep an eye on things.

losixxx
12-03-2008, 05:39 PM
i would leave it as it is, just be a little confusing maybe, its not difficult now as long as people list it correctly..

but if you do go down that route im on here all day every day...well nearly lol so don't mind helping out if you need any

jimmy
12-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I think right now I'm seeing non-RC stuff listed more, and tho I don't mind it - it's supposed to be for RC stuff. So it either gets moderated away or gets allowed in its own lil section.
I think it's nice to look in a for sale section and see just everything that's for sale - but stuff does move fairly quickly. I'll have a think about it - but some sort of 'feedback' system might be up first..

as for other sections in the rest of the forum - any ideas? :)

Southwell
12-03-2008, 05:53 PM
One thing that would clear up the sale/wanted section is when a sale is completed the thread to be deleted or closedm this woud help stop the section cluttering up, even if you didn't split it into sections. If you put in a section for non RC stuff i can see loads of random stuff being put in there, thats obviously your decision but it could take away from the subject of the forum.
With the rest of the forum i don't think it needs much more, if anything, you don't want to get in a situation where there are loads of sections making it hard to find results.

You could also put in a bit at the bottom for a google search so you can search the forum, but not in the inbuilt search function.

erkan
12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
why not one category for RC and one for Other stuff?

Scouser
12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
How about anything in the for sale section has to have a price rather than 'make me an offer'? It would make the whole process simpler and avoid any inadvertant offence caused by a low offer.

josh_smaxx
12-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Im in two minds, having cars, leccy ect sections would tidy it up but then you cant look at the whole page as stuff for sale, but then again, when i posted something a week or so ago it was off the front page in a day so maybe its a good idea to slow it down a bit.

A section for other stuff would be good aslong as its moderated properly and kept to decent things, nothing daft.

losixxx
12-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Think the feedback system would be good, also let the mod's know when items are sold so the add can be deleted

racingdwarf
12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I would go with that, There are more and more "Make me an offer" etc posts at the min, most people know what ££ they want for bits and bobs, so I think the price you want or ono would be better, you soon get to know if you have aimed a bit high.. If you wish to have an auction Flebay is a click away. Other than that I think all is OK.

With the amount of stuff moving in that section at the min we will soon have oOplebay. And jimmy will charge us a %age of selling price and drive a Rolls:lol:

Oh yer I think feedback system would be good to...

ashleyb4
12-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I like the idea of a feedback thread wherewhen someone buys or sells something they can leave feedback to tell others how good the user is naturally i think it would be best if everyone is responsable for starting there own thread. for feedback.

A

Wraggy
12-03-2008, 08:16 PM
think you should stick with RC stuff for sale Jimmy or you will end up like ebay and people will end up selling there wives or something:woot:.
you get my jist anyway .
maybe sub forum within the section though for rc stuff , ie electrics, parts & full kits ??

ps my BMW is still for sale :p:woot:

crock
12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
take a look at this
http://www.photopost.com/class/index.html
i use this sw on 2 of my forum and it's a great choice...

rcracer
12-03-2008, 11:28 PM
also let the mod's know when items are sold so the add can be deleted

yeah this is a good idea should they be closed or deleted jimmy ?

Chequered Flag Racing
12-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Trade Section

to keep it clutter free set up the Trade Section so that only the poster can post/edit the ad they place. All those intrested would then use PM's/emails to contact the seller etc.

maybe ad a section for non rc sales & wants

but occasionally stuff needs tidying up which I might miss since I've not got enough money to be looking at toys for sale all day

I have but don't tell her indoors :D. I'm up for a mod job if it would help.

jimmy
12-03-2008, 11:59 PM
I've thought about that before, might be a good idea that - but what do other people think? sometimes you can get some useful replies to ads, but also sometimes you can get people messing up peoples sales or just posting madness in there.

I might also be able to set up some sorta expiration date - so ads only live for like a month or so? Hmmmm...

rcracer has agreed to moderate the forsale section - thanks for those who also asked but I'd already talked to rcracer and its best theres only one for now I think - but if there's a forum without a moderator that someone takes a personal interest in then I'd be happy for some help. I'm on the forum all day every day (!) and still I can't really look at everything to keep an eye on it.

There's no moderators (apart from the global mods like me vicky and paul rotheram) on lots of the sub forums, like the micro, smelly (nitro) and touring car forums..
Apart from Skelding on the HB and Northy on the pred forums, none of the manufacturer forums have specific moderators either - so if someone fancies taking more of a role and is of course reponsible, literate and kind hearted:thumbsup: - let me know :)

I've been thinking of doing sub forums for different chassis - might not really apply to some manufacturers, especially since interest might be low. but in those that have a lot of use like the Tamiya forum - maybe have a sub forum for DB01 and one for 501X (as well as the main tamiya one)
Just might be easier to keep info for specific cars together - rather than have a thread like 'can I have a setup for kiddy' in the AE forum, no one knows if its for B4 or B44 for instance.
just some ideas - most of mine are crap so feedback welcome! :)

I don't wanna clutter this site up, but at the same time some changes might help to un-clutter it.

Northy
13-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I think I'm a mod in the 'madness' fourm too Jimmy :thumbsup:

Stu and I do the North East & West section.

I don't mind covering the Vintage section too :)

G

Bathy
13-03-2008, 01:24 PM
oOpbay!

Molgorain
14-03-2008, 12:19 PM
If the sale-section would be PM-only, we might need a bigger Inbox for PM.
When a product is sold, the topic-starter should add the text [SOLD], and then a mod can delete it.

A feedback-system would be great. On a swedish forum, we have a small number after our name. Where you could see how many have left some feedback about the user.

It splitted into three groups.

Feedback last month
Feedback last 6 month
Feedback last 12 month

You can leave three different "grades", Positive, Neutral, Negative, ofc with a comment. People can also see who you have been giving feedback.

Southwell
17-03-2008, 11:46 AM
How about a rep system?

Tom3012
17-03-2008, 01:11 PM
i think a feedback system is a good idea for buying and selling...

sometimes i look at stuff for sale and think... "i wouldnt mind that"...

but then i see that its their only post and think... "could it be a scam?" so i back off...

i think a feedback system would allow for a more confident approach towards buying and selling, and would also mean stuff sells quicker?

antnee
17-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I know how most people feel about the msuk-forum, but the feedback section works well on there

-titles of threads are usernames
-its organised by username a-z
-and people just add replies/start new thread (if there isn't one for that person), simple

Also I agree on the no replies in for-sale section, another forum i'm on implemented this a few weeks back and its really sorted out the section.

Lee
25-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Jim, i was having a think whilst the neo was on over the weekend, and although the photos and report is second to none, i was wondering how to take it to the next level, how easy would it be to have live scoring and possibly a chat section:confused:

We already have the facility to see the live scoring at the nats so it shouldnt be much harder to beam it round the world.

Just a thought, it might be impossible

mattym0310
25-03-2008, 08:50 PM
that would be an awesome idea lee! somewhat like liverc?

mattym0310
25-03-2008, 08:55 PM
havn't red the whole of this thread but would t be a good idea to go through the forsale or wanted sections and delete all posts except the 3 or 4 most recent pages??

jimmy
26-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I'll have a look into that Lee, see what's possible. But even right now with the neo08 it was non-stop work. I think money would be main problem with taking it to another level like you say - even for the neo we spent a lot to cover it, getting 2 laptops and a new lens so we could do the best coverage possible. Even then, we couldn't stretch to buying a wireless broadband / contract thing, and were lucky that Phil from neobuggy had one he could lend us to upload the report. It all costs money.

Part of the problem is the lack of advertising on the website - which is my fault at the moment not a lack of interest. And the other one (which is more relevent to race reports) is report specific sponsoring, like AE/LRP/REEDY with the Worlds coverage in september - every little helps. For the neo we had Fister-RC, Piespeed, RC-Pineapple and TOE RACING sponsoring the report, but since I made up these companies for a joke it didn't really pay too much :lol:

With the neo08 report we did try to get some advertising but after several knock backs I decided to give up - probably too prematurely if I'm honest. I still think we did a good job and made a fun to read report - might not appeal to everyone since it has a lot of silliness in it, but since there was no reason to keep it serious, I didn't.
I'm more than happy to consider covering more events with support, I'd love to go cover the touring car worlds later this year for instance, but that's impossible without someone basically paying our way there. Even covering the UK Nationals and smaller races isn't 'cheap' and takes a lot of work which I like to think benefits the hobby in general.
I
really hoped the neo08 report would get some support after the Worlds report (which has over 100,000 views) and other coverage we did last year. But perhaps I'm not the best at self promotion and tend to just let people come to me. :bored:

Anyway - for sure I'll see about a chat thing, probably more relevent to the Euros than Nationals, but I don't think live video and audio are on the cards just yet :lol:

Lee
26-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Sounds good Jim,

I am amazed that there was nobody willing to support you for the report on the Neo, especially after the worlds report last year. You can see by the different people on the forum that oOple is a big name in the RC world.

You need to give Neil some big stickers to put on his car for when he TQ`s again at the euros.

Im sure people will come to you, i bet your neo report has had 1000`s of people looking.

I thought the interviews were ace, and i think most of the americans got the idea that it was light hearted too, even it the trophy girls didnt:lol:

Good mornin:thumbsup:

jimmy
26-03-2008, 02:06 PM
With 30 odd cameras flashing away, the Drake always knew where to look when my camera was up :thumbsup:

racingdwarf
26-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Thats the best thing about oOple reports, They are fun. This is a hobby and a hobby should be fun,,,,it should honest!