PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out.

captain slow
17-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi,im looking to buy a hpi firestorm 10t flux with brushless motor,and fit it with a 3c lipo pack.I have no experience with racing on tracks whatsoever but am keen to get into the hobby,i plan on visiting the track near Eastwood and joining the club as soon as possible,the facilities look great and well worth the trip from my home in derby.Just wondered if my choice of car is ok,and if i could come for practice for a while as i wont be good enough to race,ive never actually taken a car round a track,i would be gratefull for any advice please,thanks,Adrian.(captain slow)

davidmog99
17-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Dont buy anything till you have been to your local club and talked to a few people mate.
3 cell lipo aint for racing!
You will find a whole bunch of people with helpful advice on suitable equipment for racing.

matthew
17-01-2012, 07:44 PM
+1 on going to the track before buying any thing, this is a big must :thumbsup:

captain slow
17-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your response lads,could you tell me when broxtowe club meets,would love to come and look/get advice,cheers.

gainsy
17-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your response lads,could you tell me when broxtowe club meets,would love to come and look/get advice,cheers.

Can't answer that but i bet these guys can
http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85
:D

captain slow
17-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks gainsy,will check that out.

mrsoftytop
17-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Broxtowe race indoors on saturday nights. They have an outdoor series aswell. But the next round isnt till sunday 29th of jan.

deano43
20-01-2012, 03:02 PM
try giving andy wallace a ring at pbm models on 01773 769323 he will be able to tell you whats best to run

captain slow
20-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Gave him a ring the other day deano,he was very helpfull,explained to him my last car was a tamiya hornet back in the eighties,seems im a bit out of touch,going to see him for some advice,thanks for your response mate. Seen the hpi trophy truggy,i like the look of that.

eyeayen
20-01-2012, 11:02 PM
HPI are great models, well priced and good availability of spares.

However if your end goal is to race they're probably not well suited to it. I'd have a chat about some options of what you can buy in the model shop and work yourself out a budget of what you can and can't afford.

With that in mind go to your local track, see what it's like and if you want to do that or are happy to just run it around the park on your own. Chat to the guys there that are racing, see what cars they're using, talk to them about motors and batteries ( now lipo's - Lithium Polymers ) and also radio's, gone are the days of 27Mhz, we're all on 2.4Ghz now so no more interference.

That should give you a much better picture and idea of outlay. If it's looking expensive to race there is a great used section on here, and a wanted section that can help with costs.

If you want to have fun on a low budget Ansmann make some good cars.

captain slow
22-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks eyeayen,i take youre point about the hpi models,going down to the broxtowe club as soon as possible,looks a great facility,thanks again for youre response.

eyeayen
22-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Cool, let us know how you get on as this is a good thread for other people starting or returning to the hobby so if they can see what you've bought and also later down the line how you'll getting on with it that'll prove real helpful.

Layloo9136
23-01-2012, 10:22 PM
The good thing is when I was deciding, is some of the great cars like the B4 and Losi 22 come is RTR versions for amazing value and they are upgradeable too. So whether you want to do it for the cheapest you can get an RTR or go for the race kits. Not saying go for one of those 2 (even thought theyre great) but just saying there is so much choice not just between cars, but also good RTR's as well that the choice really is down to preference and what others run at your club.