PDA

View Full Version : Job dilemma

Lee
14-03-2008, 04:45 PM
What do i do, i have been offered a job 30 mile from home, i havent worked at home for years, but i have an interview in london on monday for a company who are paying £700 a week more, but i might not get that job.

What do do???

strobe
14-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Gamble it mate. Go for it.
It will always play on your mind if you didn't go. . What if i went for it and got it.
£700 A week is alot of money.

racingdwarf
14-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Ahhh screw it! work from home........only live once, anyway it's only £700,:rolleyes:........anyway I hope thats of some help:D

losixxx
14-03-2008, 05:18 PM
simple as long as there's no loyalty or family/friends then accept the job as i doubt any for of contract will be signed before monday. then go for the interview and see how you get on

Southwell
14-03-2008, 05:23 PM
What do you do?

GRIFF55
14-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm with losi xxx on this one. Take the job, go for the other interview and if it works out well you can still take the higher paid one:). If the other company desperatley want you, surely they'll wait a week??

glypo
14-03-2008, 06:17 PM
You are saying £33k more...... how is that even a choice?

I'm not sure where you live, but I am assuming up north. Bear in mind the crazy cost of living down here.

Lee
14-03-2008, 08:46 PM
What do you do?

I design and commission control systems for oil platforms and nuclear power stations, I also work for myself, so far this year i have done 2 weeks work in norway, but it looks like the next job is going to be a long term one. So i can build up some cash again:thumbsup:

stegger
14-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Lee, you could come and work at CANON for 25k a year:woot: easy work and you get home to watch deal or no deal :woot::thumbsup:

GRIFF55
14-03-2008, 09:03 PM
I got a better offer for you. Come work for me , mowing the holiday park and you can watch homes under the hammer in the morning, neighbours in the afternoon and home in time deal or no deal at night!!!
no stress here!!!

stegger
14-03-2008, 09:08 PM
I got a better offer for you. Come work for me , mowing the holiday park and you can watch homes under the hammer in the morning, neighbours in the afternoon and home in time deal or no deal at night!!!
no stress here!!!
Were do i sign up griff:D

Lee
14-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I only work 9 months a year anyway boys:thumbsup:

GRIFF55
14-03-2008, 09:11 PM
don't think i can match 700 a week, how about £4 an hour:lol: as little hours as you like!!!! and only for the summer.

DaveG28
14-03-2008, 09:16 PM
no stress here!!!

:woot: That job open to anyone to apply Griff???

Sounds better than my current job...

Southwell
14-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I design and commission control systems for oil platforms and nuclear power stations, I also work for myself, so far this year i have done 2 weeks work in norway, but it looks like the next job is going to be a long term one. So i can build up some cash again:thumbsup:

Gimme a job :woot:

GRIFF55
14-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Good luck with whatever you end up doing Lee!! :thumbsup:

Lee
14-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Cheers Griff.

The lesser paid one would of been nice, i could of been at home every night, but i cany knock back an extra 700 notes a week. Or at least try.

Like has been said i can always accept the other job next week and send the mrs out to work:woot::thumbsup:

Garry Driffill
14-03-2008, 09:48 PM
What about the tax bracket Lee? sureley they gonna sting ya for that amount of wages ! :lol:

Garry

Southwell
14-03-2008, 09:51 PM
On that kinda money you'll be handing out 40% anyway.

IceMike
14-03-2008, 09:53 PM
is the 700 worth it when ya gotta fink about travel expensies or livin in or near london. that 700 dont mean jack. take the easy job and be greatful

Lee
14-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Erm..... Garry as im a director of my own company i pay myself a directors fee each week of £104, out of this i pay my paye tax @23% and my national insurance etc.:thumbsup:

The rest of the money is liable to corporate tax of about 19-20% i also claim expenses out of this money which is tax deductable, i take this money each week as a dividend payout to the shareholders, the shareholders are me and my two girls who are 3 and 5, but the cash goes into my account, it just means i personally cant hit the 35k point where i would have to pay 40% tax, it allows me to earn about £200k a year before that would happen by the time expenses are taken into account.

And yeah gordon brown doesnt like it but its perfectly legal:thumbsup:

wacattack
14-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Lee, its all about the work/life trade-off.

Ive been given the opportunity to earn pretty good dollar in the past, but value my life outside of my work as more important.

Yes, I currently earn pretty good money, but more money = more responsibility. Whats important to you?

Only you can make this decision. Its about the prioirties hierarchy in your life. Will this job interfere with your current lifestyle? Are you prepared to make that sacrifice?

If the answer to the above is yes, you have your answer

chris68nufc
15-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Totally agree about Waynes post above.
Im just a sparky but i used to work for a large company in Newcastle that wired Banatyne fittness centres all over Scotland. We used to do 12 hours a day and work 7 days a week with a return home every 3rd weekend. I used to clear well over a grand but couldnt bear it that my mates were out without me and people were moving on with their lives. 2 years ago i set up my own Electrical contractors that employs 1 full time apprentice and about 4 part time lads for when im doing large jobs. I have just got married and have a small child(thats why im up now!)and find that i can make enough during the week to have weekends off when i want. I know loads of money chasers but they arent married and have crap relationships with their kids/other halfs. Money is lovely but time with people close to you,in my opinion is much better.

reg
15-03-2008, 07:48 AM
i was the same,i used to work shifts away from home,very good money,but i was eather at work,asleep or mardy,i mised out on alot of my yonger kids early life,a job came up with a lot less money,but it is 10 mins walk and i look after the parkland,football pitches,and anything else that turns up,my job is different every day,i work less hours im home when my kids get home from school,plus they can come to the park in the summer and we all have dinner together in the park,we are much happer as a family,money is nice,but not the be all and end all,
mark

Lee
15-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I what you lads are saying, and to be honest it wont effect the way we are used to living, i have always gone away to work on a monday and come home on a friday afternoon, even if i worked 10 mins away from home i would still have to put in 50 hours monday to friday so i would never see the kids, i can see the benefits of working at home but i could work at home for 700 less a week and not see the kids and work 12 months a year or i could work away for 9 months seeing them at weekends and then have 3 months or so off of quality time:confused:

showtime
15-03-2008, 10:22 AM
go for the money dude

its better to have money & not need it than to need it & not have it :thumbsup:

plus it sounds like you'll be putting the hours in whatever way you go
you may as well get paid for it :)

Chris Harte
15-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Spend your time at home while you can. It might not be you who it affects it you and your children. I know when my mum worked as a nurse in the hospital doing shifts and my dad worked shifts also and mum and dad could go a week with only seeing each other for about 2 hours each day! It was hard for me because I wanted both of them. I say stay at home and cherish the children and their lives as they are what is important. Money is nothing but a piece of gold or paper used to buy things. You can't take money when you die but memories will always be there :D