PDA

View Full Version : ZX-5 SP Could someone explain all the different settings?

littlened
23-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I've been looking at a setup sheet, and I see there are loads of different settings for things like spacers, and which holes you put stuff in.

My problem is, I've no idea what effect different settings should have on the car. So lets say I'm having a particular problem when racing, because I don't know what everything is supposed to do it's difficult for me to try and combat the problem.

I'm just wondering if someone could explain what happens when you change things into different holes on things like the suspension, hubs etc?

JCJC
23-01-2012, 11:04 AM
A few guides over on Petitrc, http://www.petitrc.com/index.php?page=setup_guide

The 'Elvo' covers a lot: http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

you just have to apply it to the Kyosho, easy (lol)

littlened
23-01-2012, 01:34 PM
A few guides over on Petitrc, http://www.petitrc.com/index.php?page=setup_guide

The 'Elvo' covers a lot: http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

you just have to apply it to the Kyosho, easy (lol)

Thanks.

The PetitRC guide was very informative.

JCJC
23-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Pleasure, used to run a ZX5, nice car - spotted a load of setups and other gumph over on petit as well, http://www.petitrc.com/setup/kyosho/SetupSheetsKyoshoLazerZX5FS.html

RogerM
24-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Read the articles in the previous posts then go to the track and play, you will learn a lot by just experimenting yourself.
There are usually plenty of knowlegable guys willing to help track side too.

Failing all that post up your setup, how you want it to feel different to how it does on that setup and myself or one of the other long term Kyosho guys will no doubt be there to help.

Most importantly of all, have fun.

budfish
24-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I've been looking at a setup sheet, and I see there are loads of different settings for things like spacers, and which holes you put stuff in.

My problem is, I've no idea what effect different settings should have on the car. So lets say I'm having a particular problem when racing, because I don't know what everything is supposed to do it's difficult for me to try and combat the problem.

I'm just wondering if someone could explain what happens when you change things into different holes on things like the suspension, hubs etc?

I'm Excactly the same mate haven't got a clue what anything does I run a lazer fs all this anti squat and what ever :confused:

JCJC
24-01-2012, 01:39 PM
I'm Excactly the same mate haven't got a clue what anything does I run a lazer fs all this anti squat and what ever :confused:

As above, not as in depth as the 'elvo', this guide has short notes on each option : http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/BuggySetupGuide.pdf

print it off and take it racing, start with a setup that is near the same conditions as you, damp astro etc. Adjust as you go, tyres can really affect the car, cutting rows of pins away to produce less grip is common, ask the fast drivers what they are doing. The Kyosho's are better supported than ever.

It would possibly be a mistake to assume that on any given day Roger, Kev or Spenner would setup the same car in the same way, setup has to suit you, keep notes.

Neil Skull
24-01-2012, 01:45 PM
There are a lot of people in exactly this situation.

What i can say to start is that Kyosho are really good with the Kit setup.
If you build any Kyosho car to the Kit instructions it will work.
So for those of us less well informed always start here.

After that you need to be able to drive the car consistently wheter fast or slow but keeping some average lap times. When you can achieve this then try to change a few things.
I would say one thing at a time go from one extreme setting to another so you understand how it affects the car.

The only way to understand the affects is to try it yourself, keep a notepad and keep a record of what you did and how it affected the car.

Its quite complicated at first but you will soon understand it. Just remember the same basic principles apply to all cars full size included.

reg
24-01-2012, 02:06 PM
i think the hardest thing is finding a setup that as Neil said,you can drive consistantly,you could over drive a perfect setup for you and change it because you think its the car,try to forget what others are doing,learn how the car drives and handles,it wont take long as you have got the best make of car:thumbsup:

littlened
24-01-2012, 04:46 PM
i think the hardest thing is finding a setup that as Neil said,you can drive consistantly,you could over drive a perfect setup for you and change it because you think its the car,try to forget what others are doing,learn how the car drives and handles,it wont take long as you have got the best make of car:thumbsup:

This hits on a good point.

When I used to race when I was younger I just drove the car. I hardly ever changed settings, I just adjusted my driving and over compensated for how the car performed.

I got plenty of help from lads at the club, and they gave some good advice on how to overcome some of the problems I was having. Hopefully I've sorted that for next week.

I think part of the problem is I'm using LIPO's in the SP, which I believe it wasn't designed for, so the front needs some weight adding and I've had to soften up the suspension a little as I had 1 hole pistons in the front shocks and the oil was slightly too thick.

I also struggled a bit with rear end grip. The floor was a dusty sports hall, more experienced drivers seemed to have way more grip. I'm using schumacher yellow mini spikes with medium inserts (I think). 2 hole pistons and yellow kyosho shocks.

After reading one of the articles posted earlier, I've moved the rear shocks into a more upright position to hopefully get a little more traction, and I've added 2 degree of negative camber.

Any more tips would be good.

RogerM
25-01-2012, 12:35 PM
It would possibly be a mistake to assume that on any given day Roger, Kev or Spenner would setup the same car in the same way, setup has to suit you, keep notes.

Although I have a couple of people who use my setups whole sale I do prefer to ask people to give me their setup then tell me how THEY want it to feel DIFFERENT IN COMPARISON .... everybody likes something different, I hate a car that understeers a fair bit but many feel it is safer that way for example.

DJFlyinbin
27-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Sometimes I feel lost too...

Dufty07
01-02-2012, 04:27 AM
Im running 30 grms weight down the middle off set towards the front under the main drive shaft, lippos r NOT an problem, just find the balance point (SEE SAW EFFECT) front -back and side to side. I like the nose to be heavier as its easier to throttle out of trouble.Get the weight as low as possable. 1 hole pistons seams harsh......I run 3a shock pist. in d front n 3b in d rear( I race grass n astro ) 35 weight oil front, 30 rear.
LOVE MY S.P