PDA

View Full Version : D4 diff fine tuning?

dan_kitty
17-03-2008, 12:47 PM
hi, since using the new adjustable slipper the car has been great, the unit has helped me out a lot.

now i want to get the most out of my diffs, im still a little unclear on what is too loose and what is too tight?

When holding the spur gear and left rear wheel how much force is needed to turn the right wheel for correct diff action (with slipper locked tight)

or when building diff via booklet instructions with the outdrives held, its says just tight enough so gear doesn't move. should this be so it doesnt move with only a little force applied or to the point when you cant move it at all when giving it a mighty twist?

cheers in advance

Southwell
17-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Almost impossible to express how tight it needs to be on a forum. Your best bet is to get someone who knows what their doing to set them for you and then seeing how tight it is for yourself.

Northy
17-03-2008, 01:10 PM
or when building diff via booklet instructions with the outdrives held, its says just tight enough so gear doesn't move. should this be so it doesnt move with only a little force applied or to the point when you cant move it at all when giving it a mighty twist?

An almighty twist. Set it so it doesn't slip and really hurts your hands :lol:

Then set your slipper so it slips.

G

dan_kitty
17-03-2008, 01:36 PM
cool cheers, i reckon ive got them about right then.

When getting someone else to check them do they need to be familiar with the d4 specifically, or is the tension universal across all cars. I dont want to over tighten them.

Southwell
17-03-2008, 01:42 PM
A diff setup is a pretty generic thing, tighter up front, looser on the back.

Adam Skelding
22-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Wierdly, I run mine the other way round only a slight bit more slip from the front.
Rear diff as tight as possible, i.e. you can just turn the rear wheel. Make sure you isolate the slipper. I normally drop an allen driver in the rear slipper output.

Diff drease has a massive effect on the diff action and the amount you can tighten your diff. I learnt this through touring car racing and from build tips from Andy Moore 'the UK one'
Thrust Race: Associated Black Grease
Main Diff balls: Associated Stealth Diff Lube

:thumbsup:

dan_kitty
23-03-2008, 12:12 PM
cheers for the tips, I reckon i will go a bit tighter on the rear then, how will this affect the performance? Would it stabilize the rear more, would turn in be reduced?

Is over tightening the cause for diff screws snapping, ive ordered the edit titanium one, dont want to snap it too early

lol so many questions

cheers

Adam Skelding
23-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Tighter on the rear means more drive and generally a more stable car.

Snapping diff screws was down to the old '2mm' screws. These were long ao replaced with the 2.6mm ones. If you are snapping these you wanna eat less shredded wheat!!!!:lol:

The Edit Ti screw just helps lower the rotating mass, there's no porblem with the stock 2.6mm HB screw, just that it's a little on the heavy side.

pangracer
24-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Tighter on the rear means more drive and generally a more stable car.

Snapping diff screws was down to the old '2mm' screws. These were long ao replaced with the 2.6mm ones. If you are snapping these you wanna eat less shredded wheat!!!!:lol:

The Edit Ti screw just helps lower the rotating mass, there's no porblem with the stock 2.6mm HB screw, just that it's a little on the heavy side.

New to this Forum,
Thanks a lot for the tips, got so much encouragement from this forum that I actually purchased the WCE 2 weeks ago from my LHS. Just starting the build this weekend and I am very impressed with the quality. This is my first competition buggy and my learning buggy is a Tamiya DF03 purchased 10 months ago. The WCE stock 2.6mm diff screws and nut are much bigger than the 2mm I have in my DF03. The trush bearings are bigger and looks it was build for heavy duty use - I already in my second set of DF03 tiny thrush bearings. I am slowly building the WCE kit and enjoying the nice feeling of working on a quality kit. :thumbsup:

dan_kitty
24-03-2008, 11:54 AM
i went from a df-03 as well, not bad car for the price. But the d4 is leagues above it in every way:thumbsup: