PDA

View Full Version : FS2 SP Shocks and springs info please

tommy turtle
04-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi,

I have finally got my SP built and ready to go for racing tomorrow. I am looking for a bit of advice please as I have built the kit to the standard spec as I believe they are pretty good straight out of the box. My only issue is that on a quick run last night, when I picked the car up off of the track the rear driveshaft popped out. Do I need to put a sleeve in the shock to lessen then length of the shock? Also when the car is sat with the spring platforms fully out the car still seems to sit at about 25mm. The front isn't quite so bad but it still seems too high. Is this normal and ok and if not then what should I do please? Finally what weight oil do you recommend for the big bore shock when running indoors on carpet/wood etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

njc11
04-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi mate..

On the rear of the car im guessing you have a 2mm spacer behind the wheel hex?

If this is the case, this needs to be on the inside of the hub, so remove the cvd from the hub, add a shim then add the 2mm spacer THEN place axle through the hub, then hex pin then the hex :thumbsup:

Your shocks, is this with the car complete with batteries in???

:thumbsup:

RogerM
04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Getting the rear ride height low with the big-bores and not using the LAW43 is a bit tricky.

Some of the guys have trimmed the upper spring platform removing the tapered section to help. This will mean that you need to put some thread locking compound on the inside of the upper spring platform and let it go off BEFORE fitting it (I leave it over night) so that it holds the adjustment.

TBH I have never had a problem getting the normal off-road ride heights (circa 19mm) without any mods but flat indoor I can see there being times when you'd want it lower.

tommy turtle
04-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks chaps. I'll go and check the rear of my car now to see if i've put them spacers on the wrong side. Could I move the shock top mount to the outside which is a bit higher to lower the ride height and maybe move the lower one out on the wishbone or will this effect the handling badly? Also what oil should I be running please?

Thanks

njc11
04-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Just a thought, make sure you have used the correct shock top, you have 2 different heights.. one is for the FS (shorter)then other for the RB5 (longer).. This is the part that the plastic ball bit goes in which secures the shock to the shock tower...(bolt passes through the center etc...)

:thumbsup:

/tobys
04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks chaps. I'll go and check the rear of my car now to see if i've put them spacers on the wrong side. Could I move the shock top mount to the outside which is a bit higher to lower the ride height and maybe move the lower one out on the wishbone or will this effect the handling badly? Also what oil should I be running please?

Thanks

Moving the top mount position wont really change ride height that much- it's higher to match the arc of the more upright shock...

TBH, I have problem setting rear ride height on mine - when running my preferred Losi Pink rears, I always have to have the collar wound all the way up.

Front is not a problem for the Yokomo springs I tend to run.

450kid
05-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Mine was high till the springs settled a bit and when i added 60g to the spine