PDA

View Full Version : RB5 tower differences

mikeyscott
05-02-2012, 05:02 PM
What's the differences between the towers, with regards to size, height and so forth?

U525B Kyosho Front Shock Tower (RB5 WC)
UMW500 Kyosho Carbon Composite Front Shock Stay (RB5)
UM525 Kyosho Big Bore Front Shock Stay
UM511 Kyosho Front Shock Stay (RB5)

RogerM
06-02-2012, 12:34 PM
UM511 is the original, UMW500 is the "hard" version of that.

UM525B is the BB tower, it's a little taller and there is a slight difference in the spacing of the holes relative to the centre line. UM525B is just an updated version, I think with a slight material / durability update.

njc11
07-02-2012, 08:48 AM
UM525B is the exactly the same other than the top holes that secure it to the bulkhead have the countersunk hole changed to one thats got more meat around it and now uses a button head screw.

Ive gone back to the original tower now..

:thumbsup:

tomtom
07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I got both at hand for my Vega.
Run the 525 with bigbores and now I'm going to try the small bores

Test-fit the two and the 525 is taller and more perpendicular to the bulkhead (if that make sense). So more drolp with the 511 but with the three differents lengths of ballcup ends available I'm a bit lost.

With the WC front and small bores, would you run the 525 to keep the WC geometry but with SB or put the 511 ?

RudeTony
07-02-2012, 11:11 AM
UM511 is the original, UMW500 is the "hard" version of that.

UM525B is the BB tower, it's a little taller and there is a slight difference in the spacing of the holes relative to the centre line. UM525B is just an updated version, I think with a slight material / durability update.

Rog and others
You are correct to a certain point.
The new BB tower is taller and although the holes on the top are slightly narrower, they keep the same angle of the shocks. Taller = they got to meet sooner or later!!!

Nick is also correct on the screws!

If you use little shocks with the 525 then you have to do 2 things.
You have to make sure you dont have too much up travel as the wishbone will hit the bulk head. You will need to put a spacer of around 2mm to limit the up travel.
You will also discover that you also don't have enough droop so you will have to put a longer ball end on the shock shaft.
I have actually added an ever longer one on the shaft and wound it up so itacts as my washer for the up travel

Hope I haven't confused everyone. - LOL

mikeyscott
07-02-2012, 11:19 AM
I've fitted the following - LA43 5.8mm Ball End(12pcs) which I believe are the long ones.

I believe I have the 525/525B on the front of my car and am using the big bores.

A few people have mentioned that the 511 tower is the prefered option, but I'll just learn to drive better first :lol:

Thanks to all for comments, still learning and researching about the Kyosho parts and brand :thumbsup: