PDA

View Full Version : Chassis

ginge
07-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi I have been looking for a 1.10 rc chassis for a week or two now but I keep getting out bidded.
I have came across a top racing. Scythe. For £100 never raced just built and sat their.
How much are these chassis worth.??
Where can I get parts for them.??
Would the photon be a better buy.??
Just looking sumthing cheap to I see how I get on at the racing first
Any help would be great thanks

sosidge
07-02-2012, 11:48 AM
I am something of an expert on the Scythe, even though I say so myself!

It is still a very competitive car. I still use mine, and it has TQ pace at my local club. I used it at various CWIC and BTCC round this past year and put it in the 13.5 A-final in both series. A few parts are getting worn on it now after 4-and-a-half years of ownership.

Time has caught up with the Scythe in many ways though. It's not LiPo friendly - mine has the LiPo's hanging over the edge of the chassis, the bulkheads are shaped for NiMH. Adapting it to run a reliable gear diff is virtually impossible. And although many of the spares and parts are still available, they are declining.

Whether or not a new-built Scythe is worth £100 is up to you. To put it into perspective, my near-mint Photon with some extra parts only sold for £90 on eBay a year ago (:mad:). Although not everyone's second-hand cars are as well looked after as mine, so you never know what you are getting.

U1timate PigDog
07-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Best advice I could give is to go down to your local club and see what there running, for a starting car you will always be better getting something that most people run and then you can get help with setup etc if need be.

Keep a eye on the sales on here as Ive seen a few good cars going relatively cheap on here lately.

Good luck

Steveonamission
07-02-2012, 01:02 PM
My advice would be to pick up an XRAY. If you could find a T2 008 or 009 from £50 -£75 roughly depending on condition and upgrades you should be pretty competitive. You could even pick up a T3'10 for around £100! All parts are available pretty much everywhere and XRAY are known for quality which is why they are widely used at club level.

I would stay away from the Scythe as you'll be a minority which won't help you at all starting out.