PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom window

gainsy
08-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Weird thing just happened, me & the boy were eating dinner & i heard glass smash upstairs, went to see & the inner pane of the double glazed bathroom window has shattered, outside 1 if fine, how odd :confused:To be honest glad it happened then as 5 minutes later & my boy would have been in the bath underneath it!!!

terry.sc
08-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Happens more often than you might think, cold weather outside and hot inside stresses the sealed unit and it implodes. Happened to my living room window, all the glass shattered, but amazingly stayed in place in the window.

If the window is fairly new the double glazing firm should replace it free for you.

eyeayen
08-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Scary ? Complain to the manufacturer, get as many photo's as you can, they should fix it.

gainsy
08-02-2012, 06:24 PM
That is what has happened Terry, almost all of it has stayed in place apart from a couple of big bits which dropped into the bath
Council house so will ring them in the morning

Ross
08-02-2012, 07:27 PM
That is what has happened Terry, almost all of it has stayed in place apart from a couple of big bits which dropped into the bath
Council house so will ring them in the morning

Has it broken like the picture of window above ? ie lots of little bits. As its a bathroom window and above the bath its in a danger zone and needs to be a toughed seal unit. If its not then i would kick up a big fuss about it.

Also the one above looks to have a impact mark on it :wtf::wtf:

carpenterdean
08-02-2012, 07:35 PM
The only time toughened glass is called for is in doors and if the bottom of the window is below 800mm from the floor.

gainsy
08-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Here's a pic of it, it does look like the outer window is shattered as well but that's just the flash of the camera
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/gainsy73/DSC_0385.jpg

bodgit
08-02-2012, 07:54 PM
You can buy some plastic film that strengthens the glass and stop any shards flying off in case that ever happens again. Probably never will but saftey first with kids cost second.
http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Glass-Safety-Film/dp/B001B8Z9JW

gainsy
08-02-2012, 07:56 PM
You can buy some plastic film that strengthens the glass and stop any shards flying off in case that ever happens again. Probably never will but saftey first with kids cost second.
http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Glass-Safety-Film/dp/B001B8Z9JW

Cheers for that :thumbsup:

Ross
08-02-2012, 08:06 PM
The only time toughened glass is called for is in doors and if the bottom of the window is below 800mm from the floor.

Err wrong. You must have toughened glass if the window is near a trip zone, ie the bottom of stairs,landings and definitely near a bath/shower. Also if a window is with in 300mm of a door it has to be toughened glass.

That's not toughened glass fella.

Here's a pic of it, it does look like the outer window is shattered as well but that's just the flash of the camera
http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i322/gainsy73/DSC_0385.jpg

terry.sc
08-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Err wrong. You must have toughened glass if the window is near a trip zone, ie the bottom of stairs,landings and definitely near a bath/shower.
Not according to Building Regs it doesn't.

It specifies that glass below 800mm, or 1500mm next to a door (not just near a door) must be toughened, the rest is down to your choice. My living room window had to be toughened because the size of it meant the bottom of it is below 800mm, even though there's no chance of a small child running into it.

There is no requirement for bathroom windows to be toughened. There is a reason to use standard plate glass in windows, in case of fire it is easier to break to get out.

Also the one above looks to have a impact mark on it :wtf::wtf:
The only way mine could be an impact mark is if someone threw something outside and it managed to pass through the outer pane of glass before impacting the inner pane. Came home from work to find it like that, and the shattered glass is on the inside. As you can tell by the tiny fragments it was toughened glass, so any impact hard enough to shatter it would not leave every piece still in the window.

Ross
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Not according to Building Regs it doesn't. Building reg's has nothing to do with H&S

It specifies that glass below 800mm, or 1500mm next to a door (not just near a door) must be toughened, the rest is down to your choice. My living room window had to be toughened because the size of it meant the bottom of it is below 800mm, even though there's no chance of a small child running into it.

Sorry i may be wrong on the 300mm,maybe its 350, its definitely not 1500 LOL.

There is no requirement for bathroom windows to be toughened. There is a reason to use standard plate glass in windows, in case of fire it is easier to break to get out.

Your right there isn't, but there is if there is a risk you can slip in the shower towards a window that is with the zone,then H&S dictates it should be.

The only way mine could be an impact mark is if someone threw something outside and it managed to pass through the outer pane of glass before impacting the inner pane. Came home from work to find it like that, and the shattered glass is on the inside. As you can tell by the tiny fragments it was toughened glass, so any impact hard enough to shatter it would not leave every piece still in the window.

Not sure how it broke, but you can clearly see an impact mark?. And yes you can shatter toughened glass and leave it all intact

:D:D:D:D

terry.sc
08-02-2012, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=Ross;618518] Building reg's has nothing to do with H&S
And health and safety regs have nothing to do with domestic building construction.:lol: That's what building regulations are for.

Sorry i may be wrong on the 300mm,maybe its 350, its definitely not 1500 LOL.
From Building regs part N:http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terry.cresswell/partn.jpg
Requirement N1 is that any glass in the area should be toughened, laminated, or standard glass can be used in small panes. Definitely a 1500mm minimum height in doors and next to doors there.:p

Your right there isn't, but there is if there is a risk you can slip in the shower towards a window that is with the zone,then H&S dictates it should be.
Can you tell me which part of Building Regulations a trip zone is defined in, as I don't recall ever reading it myself. We don't have health and safety covering domestic housing, and health and safety requirements for landlords doesn't require you to fit toughened glass if the window is in any trip zone either, otherwise I would be replacing a lot more windows than I do at the moment. If such a regulation does exist I would like to know about it as I would be able to sell a lot more windows.

carpenterdean
09-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Err wrong. You must have toughened glass if the window is near a trip zone, ie the bottom of stairs,landings and definitely near a bath/shower. Also if a window is with in 300mm of a door it has to be toughened glass.

That's not toughened glass fella.

Err not wrong after all:woot:, been doing job long enough to know what i'm talking about:p