PDA

View Full Version : 10.5 blinky vs 13.5 AT

West Ridge Racing
16-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Hi!
New to 12th scale racing and I am loving it. Been racing Tc and offroad for years and always thought 1/12th looked boring until I tried one. I am hooked now.
There is talk about going 10.5 blinky instead of 13.5 advanced timing here in Sweden and I think it is a good idea.
Is there a speed difference or is it pretty much the same topend speed and acceleration?
So I want to get a head start buy asking what the most popular esc/motor combo are and what rollout works so I can pass that information on to my friends he he.

Alex

SlowOne
16-02-2012, 08:31 PM
If you get a choice, go for 10.5 blinky. When the boost is removed the throttle feel is much better and the cars are easier to drive. 13.5 boosted is about the same lap time, but with the boost the throttle feel is a bit dead and it doesn't teach car control as well.

For 10.5 it is not easy to give settings as every motor/speedo combination is a bit different. I use a Hobbywing 1S with a GM 10.5 (later version with the adjustable endbell) geared at 65mm/rev with the endbell one set of holes anti-clockwise. A team mate runs the HW with an HPI Flux at about 70mm/rev with full advance on the endbell.

Balance motor timing with gear ratio. Do not go for more than about 20 deg timing on the motor endbell, and then find a gear ratio that gives you good punch between corners. Live with the speed down the straight that you then get, because gearing for top speed will make the car bog down in the corners.

Hope that helps, but come back and ask if I've missed anything. :)

West Ridge Racing
17-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Thank you. That made it much clearer:thumbsup:. Looking forward to the next season already. Run a tekin/novak combo at the moment and it is good.
What about the Lrp Sxx stockspec V2 in blinky mode. Is it a good combo with the X12? Like the idea with the built in voltage booster for the electronics. Saves space and weight. By the time it is next indoor season there will be a X20 motot avalible i guess,

SlowOne
17-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Yes, the SXX v2 and X12 is a combination people use a lot. The built in voltage regulator for 1S makes life so much easier, and now that LRP can update software through a PC, you don't have to keep buying a new speedo just to get the latest software.

If you get that combo come back on here and let me know - I'll find a set-up for you to start with. HTH :)

West Ridge Racing
18-02-2012, 10:33 AM
I will. Thank you. Think I will get myself the gear any day now just to try it out. Just going to wait and see when the new LRP X20 10.5stock motor will be avalible. Looks good and i chase weight som hope it is as light as it seems. Novaks motor is heavy!

Alex

Craig W
18-02-2012, 11:10 AM
I will. Thank you. Think I will get myself the gear any day now just to try it out. Just going to wait and see when the new LRP X20 10.5stock motor will be avalible. Looks good and i chase weight som hope it is as light as it seems. Novaks motor is heavy!

Alex

x20 out in 10.5t under nosram abe racing has them in stock

dale
20-02-2012, 08:48 AM
x20 out in 10.5t under nosram abe racing has them in stock

Yes but it's not a 10.5 stock, it's a 10.5 mod, so won't be legal for spec racing.

West Ridge Racing
26-02-2012, 07:00 AM
An ordinary Lrp SXX comp must be good then? It does not have a heatsink and fan or is there an advantage using the sxx stock spec V2 anyway? should be no difference since it is blinky and all.

Alex

Jason A
26-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Either LRP sxx v2, LRP sxx tc v2 or the stock spec v2 are all used in 1/12 and
Can all be used in the blinky mode.

I ran a LRP sxx TC v2 only becouse it was future proof as I have
Now stopped 1/12 and are running 1/10 buggy so I can reuse the speedo.

If I was only ever going to run 1/12 I would get the Sxx v2.

I ran a linear profile and add -exp on transmitter if needed.

And don't forget the v2 is the only ones that will give 6v bec output
Off a 1s lipo.

:thumbsup:

West Ridge Racing
02-03-2012, 10:34 PM
That helped a lot. Thank you guys.
I have bought myself a Lrp Sxx Comp V2 and a novak motor. Any suggestions on rollout on a small highgrip track? Got thunderpower lipos and cars weight is 740grams.

Alex