PDA

View Full Version : 12th scale tyres

Alan Reeves
20-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I have just aquired a used rc12l4, the tyres are unusable but I can't seem to find any info on which tyres to run.
I will be using it indoors on carpet, no serious competition just fun nights so durability is also a factor plus I'd like to avoid the use of additive if possible.
Anyone suggest a trye choice and supplier please, or even some part worns or something of one of you guys?

Cheers
Alan

RudolfXC
20-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I'm from the Wigan area and do the Nationals.

Where will you be racing it as I could meet you there with some tyres for you to try?

Alan Reeves
21-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply and kind offer...
I'm planning on running it at Stockport, its only 10 mins from my house although not many 12ths race there they do have a minis class which it would go into, I just fancied running something a bit different from a buggy for a change as the track is only small.

Craig W
21-02-2012, 12:32 AM
you could give these a try
http://www.team-powers.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=86&product_id=283
http://www.team-powers.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=86&product_id=284

RudolfXC
21-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply and kind offer...
I'm planning on running it at Stockport, its only 10 mins from my house although not many 12ths race there they do have a minis class which it would go into, I just fancied running something a bit different from a buggy for a change as the track is only small.

When is the club run as I work in Manchester so can race there if one weekday night?

EDIT:

I've just looked and you race on a Thursday at 7:30.

It will be hard for me to make it this Thursday but can see you there next week.
How many 1/12th pan cars usually turn up?

Alan Reeves
21-02-2012, 06:31 PM
If you come there will be 3, others in the same race are xray m18 and other 12th scale or smaller, Terry sc will answer this better than me, he's the race controller and also has a 12th 

RudolfXC
21-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Please let me know what equipment you are running.

There are three main makes of tyres, Jaco, Exceed, and the new Contact from Schumacher. I use Exceed but have loads of the Jaco type you can try. Ride height is important as it needs to be at about 4mm which depends on tyre diameter and ride height spacers.

Is additive allowed on your track as you will need it. I have three types for you to try, Jack the Gripper, CS High Grip, and Mobgums Tyre Foam.

I'll be using Exceed soft rears and medium Exceed fronts which equates to the Jaco Pink and Magenta.

I will bring with me a full selection of tyres for you try and a full set of ride height spacers next Thursday.

SlowOne
21-02-2012, 09:22 PM
To run tyres without additive you will need them to be very soft, and that means they will not last long. They'll wear quickly and chunk easily if you clip a track marker. Finding the right tyres for that is probably not possible these days, everyone makes tyres for additive.

The best tyres for life are either Xceed or Contact. Having tried both, the Contacts just shade it as they are glued better. If your carpet is low grip, then you should try Xceed soft rear and medium front, or Contact soft-pink rear and magenta front. If it is high grip, then medium/medium Xceed, or pink/pink Contact. For low grip it's pink rear/double pink front in Jaco, Parma or Mobgums (all the same wheel and tyre) and pink rear/magenta front for high grip on those makes. Jaco are about £12 a pair, Xceed and and Contact £8 a pair.

Additive should be CS High Grip. Don't use too much, a small amount applied with a paint brush will do just as well as slapping it on and making the tyre soaking wet. Try to get 20 minutes on the rears (full width) and 10 minutes on the fronts (half width, from the inside) before wiping them dry with a towel.

Take Rudolf's offer and you'll soon find something to suit your needs. HTH :)

SlowOne
21-02-2012, 09:23 PM
To run tyres without additive you will need them to be very soft, and that means they will not last long. They'll wear quickly and chunk easily if you clip a track marker. Finding the right tyres for that is probably not possible these days, everyone makes tyres for additive.

The best tyres for life are either Xceed or Contact. Having tried both, the Contacts just shade it as they are glued better. If your carpet is low grip, then you should try Xceed soft rear and medium front, or Contact soft-pink rear and magenta front. If it is high grip, then medium/medium Xceed, or pink/pink Contact. For low grip it's pink rear/double pink front in Jaco, Parma or Mobgums (all the same wheel and tyre) and pink rear/magenta front for high grip on those makes. Jaco are about £12 a pair, Xceed and and Contact £8 a pair.

Additive should be CS High Grip. Don't use too much, a small amount applied with a paint brush will do just as well as slapping it on and making the tyre soaking wet. Try to get 20 minutes on the rears (full width) and 10 minutes on the fronts (half width, from the inside) before wiping them dry with a towel.

Take Rudolf's offer and you'll soon find something to suit your needs. HTH :)

terry.sc
21-02-2012, 11:21 PM
How many 1/12th pan cars usually turn up?Currently none, unless you count the Mardave V12CE as a 1/12th.

I usually put 1/12ths in our general 'mini' class, which is normally Tamiya minis, Recoils and Mardaves as they tend to be pretty safe to run against as they are pretty respectful of different cars, but some tend to not be the best drivers in the world - if there's plenty of cars in the heat I can farm off the worst down into novices. One of our top drivers usually wants to run his 1/12th in with the top heat of tourers when he turns up with it, but he is fast enough to keep well away from them.
If Alan is starting to run one I might dig out my old CRC which hasn't run for a good few years due to having no one to race with. We also have another good driver who has a 1/12th but started running tourers recently, I'm sure he would bring his 1/12th out again.

Additive is allowed, unfortunately additive choice has been down to local availability so LRP/Nosram is popular amongst the foam tourers which kinda messes up the carpet for pan cars, I raced my F1 recently until I was the only one left and tried several additives and techniques but never really got it consistent for the full race, usually rear grip drops off halfway through and you then have to hang on until the fronts go off to match. WorldGT racers also moved to tourers for the same reason. Grip is pretty low right now as the current carpet is quite worn, hoping to get it replaced shortly with should help grip in the future but doesn't help us right now.

MartinShortCourse
22-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Have you thought about using Gecko tyres on your 1/12th. Gecko do a range of 1/12th scale tyres, all trued and glued onto wheels. They come in all the usual flavours ranging from 27 to 37 shore. I not sure how much they are, but I could find out for you if you want?

terry.sc
22-02-2012, 02:47 PM
No one runs Geckos in 1/12th because just about every other make handles better. They work well where additive isn't allowed, which is why they are popular on Mardaves, but handling is a bit vague with them. I found the same effect when I ran them on the F1, they can give lots of grip but handling didn't feel positive until I switched to another make of tyre.

Didn't know they still did them on proper 1/12th wheels, but based on the price of Mardave T&G they won't be any cheaper than other 1/12th tyres.