PDA

View Full Version : why do they do it

darryl
26-03-2008, 05:34 PM
thats the question why does some random geek sit behind a computer to develop viruses just to spoil everyone elses fun, yes you guessed it they have spoilt my fun ,is there a computer whizz on here that can give me a sure fire way to get rid of trojans and trojan droppers, yes its my fault i did not update my virus protector as its expired so off tommorow to get a new one was thinking norton 360 is this about the best one and will it resolve my problems
thanks guys not sure if it is appropriate to post this on here but im sure jimmy will remove it can you remove my trojans whilst your at it:lol:

DCM
26-03-2008, 05:51 PM
I usa AVG Free (www.grisoft.com) and that covers most things and windows defender....

darryl
26-03-2008, 05:55 PM
thanks dcm
i downloaded the avg free and ran a scan but when it gets to c/ windows fonts it detects music and film files and there are thousands to clear them all would mean leaving computer on all night with virus scan running to quarantine all those zip files:mad:

markwilliamson2001
26-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Also worth running adware se personal through your system, and spybot search and destroy. Also check through your control panel - add/remove programs (assume your running XP, 2000 or Vista) for any rogue items....

HTH

Agree with DCM, I use AVG and its brilliant, AND FREE

bondy
26-03-2008, 06:46 PM
I usa AVG Free (www.grisoft.com (http://www.grisoft.com)) and that covers most things and windows defender....

Agree AVG is one of the best free ones out there ! Oh and the geeks sat at the computer's creating viruses are most probably the ones being paid to write the anti virus software that gets ride of them ! :thumbdown:

Demmand = supply etc etc etc etc etc

DCM
26-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Agree AVG is one of the best free ones out there ! Oh and the geeks sat at the computer's creating viruses are most probably the ones being paid to write the anti virus software that gets ride of them ! :thumbdown:

Demmand = supply etc etc etc etc etc

and I thought I was cynical...... lol!!

Southwell
26-03-2008, 07:13 PM
I went to an security/antivirus conference, man that was dull :lol: I must of looked well bad sat there yawning!
AVG is prob the best free one, even better than Norton and Mcafee which are both, to put it politely, crap.

markwilliamson2001
26-03-2008, 07:27 PM
We use Sophos at work, but its 'okay' in my opinion. The older versions were better, and much easier to setup.

Southwell
26-03-2008, 07:49 PM
We use Sophos at work, but its 'okay' in my opinion. The older versions were better, and much easier to setup.

Ditto. If you need any help just pm me mate.
I found the new one much easier to setup lol.

markwilliamson2001
26-03-2008, 07:54 PM
well the new one was easy to setup/install, but I don't like the new enterprise console. I just don't get the 'policy' issues which occur. Either the AV is installed and up-to-date or it isnt... I don't care if it doesn't match a policy...

Gimme 3.1 back...lol

VintageRacer
26-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Another vote for AVG here.

Southwell
26-03-2008, 08:09 PM
well the new one was easy to setup/install, but I don't like the new enterprise console. I just don't get the 'policy' issues which occur. Either the AV is installed and up-to-date or it isnt... I don't care if it doesn't match a policy...

Gimme 3.1 back...lol

Yeah we get that. I think it's something to do with the way GP updates over wireless and drops connections and things, nevermind, i just ignore it until it says virus or such. :lol:

darryl
26-03-2008, 09:56 PM
im running the avg free edition now,some one told me to run it but with telephone cable unplugged so will give that a whirl tommorow dont know if it will work or not tho:confused:

bigred5765
26-03-2008, 10:12 PM
if you can get on the internet this one works a treat
trend micro house calls downloads a small piece of software that lets you do a deep scan of ur pc on line finds alsorts of stuff and kills em
CLICKY (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/)

budgio
26-03-2008, 10:17 PM
AVG all the way !
I,ve been using it for years along with ad aware(lavasoft)

These are the first two (free) programs i install for any of my pc builds.

Also worth doing a search for Hirens boot cd which is full of great stuff.

darryl
26-03-2008, 10:21 PM
thanks fellas will give them a whirl

Garry Driffill
26-03-2008, 10:22 PM
http://www.kaspersky.com/

ive been told by one of the blokes that used to come into the computer shop i used to work that this is probibly the best anti virus software you can . It uses little to none in memory to run it aswell, I dont have it but i hear its cutting edge software in the virus protection area.

Kaspersky Lab Today

We develop, produce and distribute information security solutions that protect our customers from IT threats and allow enterprises to manage risk. We provide products that protect information from viruses, hackers and spam for home users and enterprises and offer consulting services and technical support.
Founded in 1997, Kaspersky Lab is an international information security software vendor. Kaspersky Lab is headquartered in Moscow, Russia and has regional offices in the UK, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland, Japan, China, Korea, Romania and the United States. Further expanding the company's reach is its large partner network comprising over 500 companies globally. Our products are certified by West Coast Labs and regularly receive awards from leading IT publications and testing labs. In 2003 we received the Microsoft Gold Certified Partner status for Security Solutions. Kaspersky Lab is also a proud partner of SUSE and Red Hat. Experts from Kaspersky Lab are active in IT associations such as CARO (Computer Antivirus Research Organization) and ICSA (International Computer Security Association).

This stuff from this company seems like NASA shiz !
Garry

Southwell
27-03-2008, 08:26 AM
There is a major flaw in Kaspersky, hackers can actually get in via a back door in the program and plant viruses, not sure if they've fixed it now but i wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

markwilliamson2001
27-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah I would agree with Southwell, I had to fix one of the teachers home laptops, and it wouldn't go on the internet. Once I removed kapsersky, it was fine... stuck avg on there instead and no problems since.

:D

Nick Goodall
27-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Download C Cleaner for free here - http://www.ccleaner.com/

That's a really good way of cleaning up all the crap that gets left in your registry and temp files etc - it will only help!

chris_dono
27-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I use NOD anti virus, no issues with any of it (although you do have to pay for it). Works flawlessly

Garry Driffill
27-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah I would agree with Southwell, I had to fix one of the teachers home laptops, and it wouldn't go on the internet. Once I removed kapsersky, it was fine... stuck avg on there instead and no problems since.

:D

There is a major flaw in Kaspersky, hackers can actually get in via a back door in the program and plant viruses, not sure if they've fixed it now but i wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

LOL ahh right, i heard the program works in a different way to most other anti virus programs..

Avast anti virus is what i use. that seems cool

darryl
29-03-2008, 01:26 PM
well yesterday i was reccomended kaspersky by a very reliable source so bought it ran it and fixed it, sorted thank goodness, can i just express my thanks to all those who posted with advice:thumbsup:,many thanks
darryl

andyr
29-03-2008, 02:17 PM
avg is the best out there i have a disk with avg on it and codes for the next 90 years great stuff i work with a geek who does all that stuff pm me you are intrested saves you paying them silly prices they charge