PDA

View Full Version : What tyres? 4wd on Wooden floor

Carlos717
06-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi fellow racers. Any advice on what tyres to use on a 4wd buggy on a wooden floor track, also what inserts would you use? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

B&H Racing
06-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Faversham race on a polished wooden floor and use Schumacher full spikes

colmo
06-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Clogher Valley MCC (most western BRCA club!) also race on polished wood, and it's usually either Schumacher yellow full spikes or mini spikes. Occasionally the grip will come up enough for minipins, usually when it's warmer.

Full spikes give more absolute grip, but can feel floaty, especially if you run them with no insert at all - full spikes have a stiff enough sidewall to do this, mini spikes don't. Mini spikes are more direct, but they let go more easily. Both need to be run in a bit before they're at their best.

Setups usually don't vary that much from astroturf ones, surprisingly, apart from maybe one spring rate or 5wt less oil in the rear (and possibly front) shocks. Turn off drag brakes (I shaved off 0.5 sec a lap with this one change!). A front one-way can help give more cornering ability.

Carlos717
07-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the info. Well explained there colmo.

Big G
08-03-2012, 09:04 AM
I use yellow mini spikes. I can't get on with full spikes and although pins also gave me some good results they wear faster and fall off more than the mini spikes.