PDA

View Full Version : Zx5 + Novak 5.5 velocity running temps poss pinions???

Colinevan
31-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Hello there.

I need some advice of running temps and pinion choices with a 5.5 velocity brushless in a zx5.

Iv played a little with gearing ranging from a 16 tooth pinion to 19 tooth which still result in a scorching speedo, iv cut the shell away to allow lots of cool air to circulate the fan and cut the rear away to allow easier flow out of the shell where the motor is.

My main tracks will be at Southport and Bury so any reccommendations on pinion sizes would be great.

Lastly, do any of you tone down the acceleration at all, or do you keep with the max acceleration and allow a little slip through the slipper clutch.

Thanks

Col.

bert digler
31-08-2006, 09:27 PM
if its 5.5 that equiv to a 7 8 turn if im right you need a bigger spur 81 if you get to fit i would look about a 15 81 combo i run 18 78 with a nine and thats on the limit of the motor not the batteries they come off with loads 2300 mah after a race but the motors on the verge of cooking

bert digler
31-08-2006, 09:31 PM
if its 5.5 that equiv to a 7 8 turn if im right you need a bigger spur 81 if you get to fit i would look about a 15 81 combo i run 18 78 with a nine and thats on the limit of the motor not the batteries they come off with loads 2300 mah after a race but the motors on the verge of cooking
ps always run some clutch not much just enough to allow slipper to slip before ya diff to save the gears ive not knackered any gears all season providing u shim em properly as per manual a little clutch does keep the temp down but so does careful driving

Colinevan
01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
hmmm thanks for the advice, i read what other people run theyre zx5's on on other forums and to be honest not that many use brushless.

Iv had to replace one 5.5 due to reliability and really want this one to have an easier life rather than experimenting again with some many different pinion variations.. i.e runf for 5 mins - hmmm to hot , go down 1 size etc.

by changing the spur gear, will that affect the ratio that much?

Also by running the pinion so small, in thoery will i be doing more harm than good as in the motor will be reaching its max speed on all the straights rather than making the motor work more in accelerating and only reaching full speed on the large straights etc.

The track that i run are southport and bury - southport can have a few long straights etc. so hence the concern on the motor revving out etc.

Col.

omen1975
09-09-2006, 06:18 AM
I run a 4.5 GTB profile 1 setup with 15/78 gearing, 4200 SHV's with more than average slip with slipper and have set my throttle on my DX3 to 100% out of 125%, seems to work well, motor and ESC temp around 130-140 degrees C after a 5 minute race with 30 degree C outside air temp.

For Shorter tracks I use 14/78.

Hope this info helps.

Remember second is always the first loser :)

Take it easy guys and good luck racing.
Damien