PDA

View Full Version : BT british telecom arent they great

ashleyb4
08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
The past couple of days I have been having problems with my internet ive been gettign very very slow transferrer rate and difficulty connecting :thumbdown::thumbdown: i was gettign 1 and 2 MBPS tranffer rate!!!!!!! So i have found out today after being on the phone to BT for half an hour they think im a high demand customer and they have put a fare usage policy on out account so when ever demand gets high my internet is rubbish dont you just love BT its currently crusing along nicly at 54MBPS like it should do.

A

jimmy
08-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Ntl / virgin are equally crap if not worse. we've had ntl for years and there was no policy, no 'limit' but virgin secretly inserted one despite the fact we refused to change/update contracts.
So now I download a few hundred meg in an evening and the connection goes to 1 meg (from 4) and stays like that for hours.

glypo
08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
BT don't hide really hide it though. To be fair BT has been the best ISP I have had. I've never had any downtime with them since 2004 when I moved from a different ISP.

What package are you on? I'm on the option 2 which is a supposed 8GB limit a month. I regularly go up to around 15gb a month and tend not to get limited. A good trick is to phone up, and say you're moving ISP. When they ask why, and you say bandwidth, they upgrade the package for free usually in fear of losing custom.

It's just a shame I can't speak as well about the Home Hub. Awesome idea, and broadband phone is awesome as a free second phone line....... but what a rubbish bit of hardware! Still, a decent VoIP ADSL modem router soon sorts that out.

Garry Driffill
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
At my old job we used to take 200 BT customers a day becasue of bad service

DCM
08-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't even have a BT line anymore, and my Virgin connection seems pretty good, but then I ain't uploading or downloading lots....

And Ash, you are sooooo lucky, never had to deal with dial up?

ashleyb4
08-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Oh dcm ive had dial up OMG i used to call it windup. Its still cruising along nicly now so hopefully should stay like that now.

Im on BT option 2

A

jim76
08-04-2008, 08:12 PM
54mb/s? are you sure? thought the fastest on the market was around 24mb/s?

Lee
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Im with SKY right now its ok but not great, it just goes off for times which is crap, but its cheap and pretty quick.

I found pipex better, i was with them in my old house, never ever had a problem:thumbsup:

jimmy
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
we've had over 700 quid compensation off bt in the past because of their incompetence - proper amateurs..

Glypo - 8 gig a month? :thumbsup: I'm sure I've downloaded more than that in a day! :lol:

gramey
08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
At my old job we used to take 200 BT customers a day becasue of bad service
:)We've obviously been lucky, had a BT land line ever since we got married (28 1/2 years god help me) and I was originally with Sky for my internet but it was rubbish. I changed to BT some 5 or 6 years ago, now on Option 3 with broadband, and I've only had one 40 minute period offline. It occassionally slows a little but other than that it's been fine.:)

telboy
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
We're with SKY, and our sometime just drops out for no reason.
Also it shouold be the 8mb broadband package, but sometimes only downloads at a mere 56kbs!!!! It has gone as low as 7kbs which really P'd me off. So I called them, and asked why connection was so slow. Apparently they are trying to put 8mb through a 5mb junction, but the most I can get is 2mb?!:confused: and the confusion in the juctions and connections was making it run slower than it should....but got no explanation as to why I only got 7kbs sometimes.
Make sense of that if you can. When I called I just got passed onto someone else that didn't understand one bit, what I was trying to explain, so I just said to forget it after explaining it 3 times.

So basically I'm paying for 8mb broadband and can only get 2mb.:mad:

burgie
08-04-2008, 08:45 PM
we've had over 700 quid compensation off bt in the past because of their incompetence - proper amateurs..

Glypo - 8 gig a month? :thumbsup: I'm sure I've downloaded more than that in a day! :lol:

bloody hell, i wont ask what you are downloading :woot:

i bet i dont get near 8 gig a month, unless my sons xbox 360 online gaming downloads that much

bigred5765
08-04-2008, 08:55 PM
bloody hell, i wont ask what you are downloading :woot:

i bet i dont get near 8 gig a month, unless my sons xbox 360 online gaming downloads that much

66gb down 55 gb up last month
surfings a bi++h

ginger fixit
08-04-2008, 08:58 PM
guys

ive been a bt enginer for nearly ten years my job is to fix broadband conections and help people with slow conections you will find that the main reason your conection slows down is down to contention this is changed around month on month so some are good months some are bad.

next main issue is peoples computers we all tend to have loads of anti virus software working when it sees a problem and snarls up the conection most spyware and the like is web based and needs the connection to do its thing.

next main issue to speed is firewalls there rubbish when they go wrong i hate them and they do go wrong more than they should

also so guys most of the above mentioned service providers use the same adsl equitment in the exchanges and all are as bad as each other there is some bandwidth fixing with some service providers but generally this is because the eu asks for a cheaper service.

i would say avoid using the conection 3pm to around 5pm contention will be high also 9am till 10am the same

i hope this helps but please dont slag the bt off we do our best for quite a cheap conection fee if you think 5/7 years ago we were paying 60quid a month for isdn 128k conections how rubbish is that now we can get broadband for free from some sp`s we should all thank our lucky stars.:thumbsup:

laters Andy

telboy
08-04-2008, 09:26 PM
I've got rid of all the firewalls and net based virus software on my comp. Like you say it just slowed things down. Don't go on anything dodgy enough to to warrant it anyway, never open e-mail that I don't recognise or owt like that anymore either. I just scan the system every now and then to make sure there nowt crept in.

Richard Lowe
08-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I've had nothing but good from my Sky internet connection, solid 850kb/s download speed 24/7 and no throttling yet after 3 months of thrashing the connection (constantly torrenting, oups did I say that out loud :p).

dev
08-04-2008, 10:08 PM
66gb down 55 gb up last month
surfings a bi++h
Sure is...

Richard Lowe
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Good skills!

Medders
08-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I've had nothing but good from my Sky internet connection, solid 850kb/s download speed 24/7 and no throttling yet after 3 months of thrashing the connection (constantly torrenting, oups did I say that out loud :p).

I switched recently to sky from virgin and its much more reliable with steady download speed, which shouldn;t really be the case but is. sky are just far easier to deal with than virgin / ntl. the vigin just used to die for hours at a time and the arses would charge me to call them to find out wtf was going on. i hear pipex are good but quite expensive.

rcracer
08-04-2008, 11:22 PM
try living in hull we are tied to kingston communications :thumbdown:

Southwell
09-04-2008, 07:49 AM
its currently crusing along nicly at 54MBPS like it should do.

A

54MBPS is your wireless speed :lol:

Southwell
09-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Ntl / virgin are equally crap if not worse. we've had ntl for years and there was no policy, no 'limit' but virgin secretly inserted one despite the fact we refused to change/update contracts.
So now I download a few hundred meg in an evening and the connection goes to 1 meg (from 4) and stays like that for hours.

Yeah they call it 'traffic shaping'
between midnight-4pm it is unlimited, 4-12 if you go over a certain limit they half your connection speed. I hit the limit at my parents in under 15 mins, then the connection was unusable!
Sky 16mb BB unlimited and £10 a month FTW! :thumbsup:

O and if your Vrigin connection is really slow then your UBR will probably be overloaded, which they do. With the new 50mb service they are using a different system but i see Virgin getting worse and worse.

ashleyb4
09-04-2008, 10:36 AM
54MBPS is your wireless speed :lol:

Yea but when i have this problem it goes down to 1mbps or if im really lucky 5.5

A

markwilliamson2001
09-04-2008, 11:13 AM
A lot of 'actual' broadband connections I found were normally to do with peoples location and distance from the exchange. Also dodgy phone extensions inside peoples homes don't tend to help!

Most of the time, it is peoples comps slowing things down as Andy has rightly said. Ash, 54MBps IS your wireless speed. Your internet connection will be much less than this... (numpty)

ashleyb4
09-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Yea i know this but i have done some tests if i disconnect my DSL line from my router the my wireless speed goes up to 54 an stays there but if i plug it back in again it will go for about 5 minutes then die again not totally just go down to 1MBPS or 2 or 5.5 which is useless unplug the dsl line and it goes back up to 54. I then moved my router to the upstairs phone line and the wireless stick was about 5 meters from the router with onthing between it dsl line unplugged runs 54mbps plug the dsl line in and it will live for 5 minutes then die again. Fortunatly now ive run bt it all works nicly again and it runs fine odd! oh well

A

glypo
09-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah, but your router connection speed is completely unrelated to BT, I think that's the point people are making. If it goes wrong it's your fault, or your equipments fault, not BT's :)