PDA

View Full Version : B4 longer servo horn

footey
26-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm struggling to get full lock on my B4 with a Savox low pro servo and kit horn, I've tried all the settings on my handset, but just can't get full lock. I'd like to fit a slightly longer servo horn but need one that has a good off-set so that the steering link does not hit the front of the servo, does anyone know of one?

neallewis
26-04-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm struggling to get full lock on my B4 with a Savox low pro servo and kit horn, I've tried all the settings on my handset, but just can't get full lock. I'd like to fit a slightly longer servo horn but need one that has a good off-set so that the steering link does not hit the front of the servo, does anyone know of one?

I had that problem last week with same servo and horn. Stripped it down and re-zeroed the servo, then adjusted the length of the small linkage rod to the servo saver to make it longer and central at the new zero's position. I then upped my travel on my tranny from 100% to 135% and get full lock to the bump stops on the caster blocks. It also holds the wheel tight in to maintain full lock, rather than it being wobbly like it was set at 100%. loads more steering in practice on Tuesday between downpours.

jimarea51
26-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Shane...

Ask northy, he is having exactly the same problem with identical gear, not sure he's got to the bottom of it either...

Hope that helps....

Jim:p

jaysllim
26-04-2012, 05:47 PM
As above u just gotta leungthen the link bar between the ballstuds

RudolfXC
26-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I've never understood why you should offset the horn by one spline from centre?

gazhillAE
27-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Same problem here until I checked tranny
You need to set the steering travel (not balance) at full.
You can then reduce the lock required by using the steering balance each side.
If your using KO it's easy
Let me know if you need further help

flipside
10-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I just installed a new servo, and had the same problem. My old savox had no problems, indeed you had to play around with the length of the servo horn link and the starting position of the servohorn on the servo to get full lock left and right.

Note that sometimes you have to dremel some material away so that your steering components don't touch anything before wheels are at full lock. You can easily test this by turning your servo manually (when car is switched off), and see if the spindles touch the caster blocks. You also have to properly set your toe-in and make sure it is the same left and right before adjusting your steering balance left/right....

But, now with a new servo, the same savox but a new one (orange instead of green/black metal strip on casing), I could not get full lock. When adjusting the steering travel, I could see that the servo just doesn't turn any further.

Before, I could get away with 135% steering travel, and +-85 in the steering balance. Increasing the travel didn't do anything now, I was already at the servo's max angle.

So indeed the only solution is to take a longer servo horn. I used one from my Bmax, which is about 2mm longer. By doing this, I can easily turn down steering travel again to get full lock on both sides.

Richard Lowe
10-05-2012, 09:34 AM
I think the low profile Savox's don't have as much throw as the full sized servo's, Danny McGee had the same problem with his Centro at Stotfold.

Another thing it might be is the chassis could need Dremeling, on the B4 chassis the bellcranks hit the posts in the chassis before the steering is fully locked over unless you remove some material.

Are you at RHR this weekend Shane?