PDA

View Full Version : The future of Batley

RobHatcliffe
06-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Having read Jimmy's report from the interclub on Sunday, I now have concerns for the future of the Batley track.

Ever since those new houses were built, I have wondered how long it would take for the new residents to kick up a fuss over the track.

I really like Batley, it's a top track run by a good bunch of people and I for one would hate to think that they may be due some serious pressure from the new neighbours.

Can anyone in the know enlighten us on the situation?

Cockerill
06-09-2006, 09:07 AM
After talking to the residents who camplained about the rostrum on Sunday I have a clearer picture of what is going on.

They have no problem with the rostrum or track. Their problem is a group of 30ish kids going up onto the rostrum and throwing stones into their garden/ at their windows.

Now one suggested solution was to move the rostrum to the otherside of the track. However, this was only a suggestion, and at no point was it to be moved this week, that was just rumors.

The residents are now in disscussion with Steve and Dianne and I believe they are in the process of trying to fund a better solution. We will see what happens, but I don't think we will see the rostrum or club going anywhere soon.

PS. Racing this Sunday (10/9/06) Outdoors.

Track set up will start at 11 am please attend as the more who help the more track time you will be able to get and the meeting will start around 12.30.

Hope to see you all there.

RobHatcliffe
06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
That sounds a lot more positive, good news.

Thanks for the info Tom

jimmy
06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
I hope something can be done re:fencing or something.

BenG
06-09-2006, 11:30 AM
or anti-chav wardens:D I volounteer,:D:o

DCM
06-09-2006, 11:54 AM
As much as it is daft (buying a house overlooking a track and next to the rostrum), I don't think the residents would want higher fencing, but, as they just moved next to an existing structure, they might be willing to share the cost of relocating the rostrum (and container) to the opposite side of the track, and maybe boarding to, to stop the little gits climbing on there.

jimmy
06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Sorry, I didnt mean higher fencing for the residents, whose fencing is already high. I meant metal fencing to stop people getting onto the track at all, preferably with razor wire at the top, or needles or something. :p

DCM
06-09-2006, 01:15 PM
heehee, I reckon Bately would be best to appease the residents..

losidan
06-09-2006, 07:11 PM
could some kind of lockable cover be made that covers say they first half of the staircase and so stops them going up there. could also run round the top of the container so of that railing which has metal attached in a kind of star formation that spins round if you put any weight on. Prevents anyone being able to climb up then.

One thing I wonder is if move the container to the other side if it is going to compromise the "infield" of the track?

I have been down sometimes on an evening say eight to nine onwards on a summer evening, it is like a chav fest down there with all the little scroats making nuisance of themselves...

Northy
06-09-2006, 07:25 PM
It can be a bloody chav fest on a Sunday when your trying to get a bit of practice in! :mad:

G

tyreman
06-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't suppost the skate park helps much either:rolleyes:
As when we were there for the National, at any-one time there must have been 20+ kids loitering about.

I don't see how, by moving the rosrum to the other side of the track, this would compromise the in-field section though:confused: .

The main problem with moving it to the other side is, would this cause problems with the football pitches/spectators area, or the access that has to be kept clear between the track fencing and the steel rail where we pit/camp?

jimmy
06-09-2006, 10:12 PM
They might have meant move it to the other side of the track but keep within the borders.. it would really mess up the track as it is now...

The idea of the skate park was that it would be great and get all the kids / vandals off the track.. the kids who skate dont vandalise (I dont think) its the chavs that loiter around the skaters.

its certainly worse than it was.

Northy
06-09-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure if the "doubles" will still be ok if the rostrum is moved to the other side of the track as you may loose site of your car. :( Guess we'll have to see if it is moved.

It would also be possible to move the straight to the other side and build up an infield where the rostrum used to be with more features, it could make the track even better!

I'm sure it will all get sorted, as I said to Dan on Sunday, I'd be more than happy to come accross and lend a hand with any work as I for one do not want to loose tha track.

G

jimmy
06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
really does need a fence round it tho, so our work doesnt go to waste.

DCM
06-09-2006, 11:20 PM
In the end, is it better to make a compromise and some track alterations to accomodate a rostrum move than lose the venue, as I am sure the local council won't allow the skate-park to be removed.....

super__dan
07-09-2006, 06:18 PM
I've been speaking to Steve a bit over the last few days. Seems the housing building company promised the buyers of the houses that the rostrum would be moved and maybe then some, they basically told them whatever they wanted to hear. However at no point did they contact the club.

We were intially very worried by all this but actually hope to turn this negative into a positive. If the company were to insist the container were to be moved we hope to get some compensation from them. Firstly and foremost the container would need to go on a base at least as good as the one it's currently on. However we might be able to get them to make some improvements like;

Fence round the side and back of the rostrum with a gate so you can seal it off.
Build a fence round the track.
Level the area where the container was to allow us to extend the track.
Relay the straight to the opposite side and astroturf it.

As an aside this year has highlighted how the VERY small Batley commitee has at time struggled. Now I didn't realise how small the committee actually is, I think there is Dianne and Steve and 2 others who you might not realise are on the commitee now. Lots of the people that help out are not commitee members at all (John Price, Tom etc)

However with Dianne ill (we all hope she gets better, and I don't mean so she can come back racing) we shouldn't rely on her having time and Steve wants to be come less involved the club NEEDS people to committ some time, energy etc and put their names forward for the commitee.

Steve has asked me and my initial reaction is no but seriously if we don't then the club will fold, end of, defo! Some of us have talked about putting some time in this winter in track improvements and so being on the commitee would be a good idea for us. I really hope a few of us will bite the bullit and get properly involved, I won't do this by myself but if a group of us can take it on then I think we can make the track dialled for next year.

Dan

RobHatcliffe
08-09-2006, 08:43 AM
I've served on the Bury Metro committee for the last 2 years, and hope to carry on again in 2007, so I feel I know a little about how much effort is needed to run an r/c club. We're fortunate at Bury that Roger takes on a great deal himself, but he knows he has the backing of a small number of core club members to assist at work days, track preparation etc etc

It's probably fair to say that at most clubs the bulk of the work is done by a small number of people - imgaine how much easier it would be if a large number of people each did a little bit??

As I said in my original post, I really like Batley, I enjoy racing there and the club have always made us feel very welcome.

When you have dates for workdays would you please post details on here - if I'm available I'll come over to help.

BenG
08-09-2006, 10:13 AM
yeah, I am definitley willing to help, as I live about 2 mins walk from the track. Anything that needs doing, we need to organise a day for. A comittee meeting would be great though, where everything that needs doing can be prioritized and dates shechduled.

BenG
08-09-2006, 10:20 AM
what about if there was a winter series, to fund any nessecary changes:confused:

Lee
03-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Is the track open to practice on at any time?

Col
03-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Is the track open to practice on at any time?

That's the problem, Lee! The track as it stands now is just a track cut into a patch at the side of a football field with nothing to restrict access and because it's a little "not ordinary" it attracts the chav scum that smash everything up. It's a superb track and we need to make sure that it stays that way.

Dan, I don't get much spare time these days, so if you get anything sorted and need help, let everyone know and we'll see what we can do:)

Northy
03-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Would people like to see a National at Batley next year?

G

Spencer Mulcahy
03-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes :D

emzy
03-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Of course!

BenG
04-10-2006, 06:25 AM
defo, its practically next to my house, so less travelling for me:D

Chris Doughty
04-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Would people like to see a National at Batley next year?

G

YES!

Barry Williams
04-10-2006, 08:08 AM
Yep, love it at Batley

Slimboyfat
04-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Batley is awesome!

bigred5765
04-10-2006, 09:30 AM
of course we do

Northy
04-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Unfortunatley I think you guys will be disapointed! :(

BenG
04-10-2006, 11:40 AM
nooo, would money help?:confused:

bigred5765
04-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Unfortunatley I think you guys will be disapointed! :(

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o intake of breath nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo

Northy
04-10-2006, 11:42 AM
As far as I know they are not applying for a National, mainly due to the lack of help running the event last year. :(

G

BenG
04-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I can help on the saturday, anything you need, you name it;)

Cockerill
04-10-2006, 12:48 PM
The question that should be asked is,

How many people would be willing to help on Friday (setting up), Sat/Sun (Tech)?

The club are afraid this might be the same 2/3/4 people as last year, and the year before, etc.

The first year the club had a national there were ~20 people helping, last year there were ~4.

jimmy
04-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I think the club is better off organising club meetings and getting support / growing the numbers personally.

BenG
04-10-2006, 01:13 PM
I can help Friday, after 6 and and saturday after 12 no probs;)

emzy
04-10-2006, 01:38 PM
How many people would be willing to help on Friday (setting up), Sat/Sun (Tech)?

I'd be happy to help out in Scrutineering on the day... I know its not much. I'm sure a lot of other people would. I know I got asked to because I was 'local' (how local is 90 miles away?!) but I'm sure even some of the Midwesties and that would offer a hand.

All depends on when it is for if me / Dad can help on the Friday really. I know I'm not exactly known for my love of physical activity / work but if its a question of the club having a National, I'd gladly attempt to help (just give me something simple to do... I'm good at holding things and looking pretty).

xx4-nutter
11-11-2006, 12:17 AM
or anti-chav wardens:D I volounteer,:D:o

hahahaha ye with a shot gun !!

super__dan
11-11-2006, 01:33 PM
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15372#post15372

Please read